The Student Room Group

The Secret Life of Students on Channel 4

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2dw
I totally agree that there should be more events organised for non-drinkers. As someone who doesn't drink, I feel uncomfortable being around drinking and drunk people so I can imagine why Lauren felt so overwhelmed.

I don't think people like her should be made to feel like they have to join in, in order to have a good social life. I think societies are a good idea because it focuses on people's hobbies instead of drinking.

There are loads! Our union organised trips to the surrounding areas, alton towers, put on new films in the cinema for £4, there are plenty of societies, pub quizzes (which are not focussed around drinking!) and pretty much anything else that you can do with your friends that don't revolve around drinking. I had a flatmate who didn't drink at all and had film nights with her friends and was out doing things all the time.
Original post by orange crush
If it was catered then why would you care?

I knew someone that lived in a flat of 25, although their kitchen had 4 of everything. 4 sinks, 4 ovens etc

I wouldn't care as much as everything would be made for me. but I do think it would get a little rowdy
Original post by orange crush
If it was catered then why would you care?

I knew someone that lived in a flat of 25, although their kitchen had 4 of everything. 4 sinks, 4 ovens etc

Shared toilets/showers as well, that's why you'd care!
Haha.

Luckily you get a cleaner at uni, hers came every day but mine was just once a fortnight (with 6 people sharing).
Original post by lamyers1
Shared toilets/showers as well, that's why you'd care!
Haha.

Luckily you get a cleaner at uni, hers came every day but mine was just once a fortnight (with 6 people sharing).

I shared a flat of 10 with 2 bathrooms and 2 kitchens. The kitchens were a 5-5 split, but the bathrooms were split by gender. We only had 2 girls, so the deal was they could get a bathroom between themselves, but the guys got the better shower.
Original post by 2dw
I totally agree that there should be more events organised for non-drinkers. As someone who doesn't drink, I feel uncomfortable being around drinking and drunk people so I can imagine why Lauren felt so overwhelmed.

I don't think people like her should be made to feel like they have to join in, in order to have a good social life. I think societies are a good idea because it focuses on people's hobbies instead of drinking.

But she could have joined in and just drank coke or whatever if for some weird medical reason she genuinely couldn't even have a drop of alcohol.

Organising events for non-drinkers is just weird, because it seems to imply that drinking is compulsory at all other events, which of course its not, because that would be retarded.

Its also a bit fascist. Normal socials you're given the choice between drinking or not drinking, but at "non-drinking socials" (oxymoron), you're specifically FORBIDDEN to have a relaxing sociable drink.

Might as well just ban fun.
What baffles me is people drink even though the stuff they drink is considered disgusting.
the life of students isn't really secret, think we all know what they get up to, but seems like an interesting show
Is there only one more episode left?
Original post by lauren1x12
Is there only one more episode left?

Yup, it's the last one tonight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bumblebee342
Yup, it's the last one tonight!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn that sucks was enjoying it :biggrin:
Original post by lamyers1
There are loads! Our union organised trips to the surrounding areas, alton towers, put on new films in the cinema for £4, there are plenty of societies, pub quizzes (which are not focussed around drinking!) and pretty much anything else that you can do with your friends that don't revolve around drinking. I had a flatmate who didn't drink at all and had film nights with her friends and was out doing things all the time.

There's a non drinking society at my uni. It's a great way to do other stuff!

They should do it more at other unis tbf.

Here is what they do:

http://www.rusu.co.uk/organisation/9491/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by James A
There's a non drinking society at my uni. It's a great way to do other stuff!

They should do it more at other unis tbf.

Here is what they do:

http://www.rusu.co.uk/organisation/9491/

Agreed, I'm at Reading and I've heard good stuff about them!
I think it's good if you want alternatives in freshers and stuff, I'm surprised it's not more common really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agreed, I'm at Reading and I've heard good stuff about them!
I think it's good if you want alternatives in freshers and stuff, I'm surprised it's not more common really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! Are you soon to be a first year there?
Original post by James A
Cool! Are you soon to be a first year there?

Nah just finished first year :smile: You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah just finished first year :smile: You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!

What halls were you staying at previously?
Im just gonna put this out there.... I want Josie. No disrespect *Ahem* :colondollar:
Original post by James A
Same!

What halls were you staying at previously?

Oh cool! I was in Sherfield :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cole-slaw
But she could have joined in and just drank coke or whatever if for some weird medical reason she genuinely couldn't even have a drop of alcohol.

Organising events for non-drinkers is just weird, because it seems to imply that drinking is compulsory at all other events, which of course its not, because that would be retarded.

Its also a bit fascist. Normal socials you're given the choice between drinking or not drinking, but at "non-drinking socials" (oxymoron), you're specifically FORBIDDEN to have a relaxing sociable drink.

Might as well just ban fun.

I helped organise non-drinking events. The tickets sold out in two hours.

I know that you don't need to drink. But most people at these events would get drunk and mess things up eventually, like it did in my uni.
think episode 1 was the best tbh , more sex less bitching and slackers plz.
Does anyone know of other programmes about uni life? Similar to this and 'Freshers' which was on ages ago, they make me so excited for uni haha

Quick Reply

Latest