Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    We do indeed have a TSR profile. It's a new thing, we're just keen to make sure that information and advice given is accurate.
    That's good to see, I hope more Colleges follow your lead.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jenkinsear)
    That's good to see, I hope more Colleges follow your lead.

We hope you follow our lead & get yourself an avatar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxyelson)
    GCSE grades: 8A* 2A (both one mark off, which was annoying), and also an A* and an A done in year 9, within a year, sigh.
    A-Levels: Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics (predicted all A's at AS, then all A*'s A2) , also Further Maths next year at AS level.
    Course: I have my heart set on Medicine, but Chemistry is a massive option to me!
    College: In love with Merton and University, though any of the historical buildings will do me

What do you think my chances for both courses would be, comparatively? Anyone from either college have an opinion on accommodation, student life, etc.? Also, just who else is applying? aha!
    :cute:
    I actually did, and have now finished, medicine at Merton. I was also very torn between medicine and chemistry right up until applying, and actually did the same a-levels too uncannily. I think your main issue at this stage is not regarding Oxford:

Chemistry and medicine are two completely different courses. Chemistry is a degree similar to any other really. Medicine is a career which lasts the rest of your life for most. Have you researched what being a doctor is like? Have you experienced hospital life, or volunteered for an extended period? Its a huge decision.

Putting Oxford aside, remember how competitive medicine is - 60-65% of applicants get no offers at all. Voluntary work/work experience is expected, as is a strong personal statement focusing on your clinical and caring experience. Wording things wrongly here can literally change your life. I did not get it right and my only offer was Oxford.

The question you asked was for opinions on college choice (about the least important thing ever). The dilemma you've actually proposed is literally what the rest of your life is going to be like. You need to do a lot of research and think about where you see your life going!

(Original post by personage)
    IS there any truth in the idea that colleges at top of Norrington League, Magdalen and Merton, put more pressure on their applicants to get Firsts. If you don't respond well to pressure, would it be better to apply to places like Hertford, LMH, st Peter's, with a more laid back vibe?
    My experience was actually the opposite - the top performing colleges can afford to relax whereas some of the lower performing ones are trying to force their performance upwards. I was a terrible student and didn't do any work until exams were looming. Despite this Merton's only action was to organise a meeting with one of the welfare people to check I wasn't depressed (I wasn't) and that was it. At many other colleges failing to get a certain grade in mock exams results in you having to have meetings/retake the mock under threat of being forced on a year out or even kicked out entirely (rare).

The main thing that correlates with college performance is actually college wealth.

(Original post by personage)
    Thank you for that! And is there any point trying to work out which colleges have a particularly good reputation for certain subjects?
    I would try to gauge which tutors are good from talking to current students. 'Reputation' isn't really important though.

Also! I've heard that there is a super-level competitiveness within Oxford -- ie if you get into Merton/Magalden/St John's people think you're brainier than if you got into Pembroke, St Hilda's?
    I have never heard of that.

ReputationRep:
    OXBRIDGE Q&A SESSION TONIGHT

9-10pm on Twitter - search the hashtags #CambTweet and #OxTweet! Questions about Oxbridge, your course, or university in general? Ask current Oxbridge students directly tonight in this joint question hour!

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 8A* 3A
    A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French, EPQ
    Course: Physics
    College: No clue? :/ Not even sure how to go about picking one!

ReputationRep:
    How many A*'s do you need at GCSE in order to consider applying to oxford/cambridge?
    because the music course at oxford looks amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly5798)
    How many A*'s do you need at GCSE in order to consider applying to oxford/cambridge?
    There is no minimum requirement for GCSE, but obviously, the better they are, the more chance you have of an offer. For Cambridge at least, your AS UMS scores are often one of the most important things.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Our Schools Access Officer, Joe Organ, heads off this weekend for a week-long North Yorkshire Road Show starting at Stokesley and finishing at Tadcaster. Joe is travelling with Brasenose students Sidd & Hugh. Well worth going to the session if your school is on this year's itinerary.

ReputationRep:
    I'm working at somewhere between 39-42 with 777-776 HL in the IB (A*A*A*-A*A*A in A level) chemistry, biology and geography. I got 8A*s at GCSE. I'm doing standard maths (everyone at my grammar school doing maths HL says it's incredibly difficult, and most of us got 8-12 A*s at GCSE so I opted out). How are my chances for getting in to Oxford for chemistry? If I get a 7 in SL maths. I'm enthusiastic as hell Which should help if I got an interview.
    Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    ONE HOUR TO GO UNTIL #OXTWEET #CAMBTWEET JOINT Q&A HOUR ON TWITTER

Get your questions in - the course, the university, the experience, anything you want to know! Current students available to ask directly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosieH98)
    I'm working at somewhere between 39-42 with 777-776 HL in the IB (A*A*A*-A*A*A in A level) chemistry, biology and geography. I got 8A*s at GCSE. I'm doing standard maths (everyone at my grammar school doing maths HL says it's incredibly difficult, and most of us got 8-12 A*s at GCSE so I opted out). How are my chances for getting in to Oxford for chemistry? If I get a 7 in SL maths. I'm enthusiastic as hell Which should help if I got an interview.
    Thoughts?
    Academics are fine, would be shocked if you weren't shortlisted for interview. What will obviously decide it for you is interview performance- can't really make a judgement on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly5798)
    There is no "magic number" as such, especially for a subject like music. If you're on for AAA in your AS levels and have excelled in music whilst at school then I would strongly encourage you to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys!
    I feel, somewhat, morally obliged to put myself out there - with all of you incredibly clever, and interesting people! (Who said flattery was 'sooo 20th century'?! )

Anyway!

GCSEs: 10A*s 2 As
    AS Levels (currently): AQA Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History
    I aim to drop the latter at the end of Y12.
    Ideal Course: Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry MSci.
    And if I had to be leaning towards a college this early, I'd say Magdalen or Corpus Christi/Jesus, we'll see!

I have applied to UNIQ to do Biochem(as my Sixth Form tends to average Bs and Cs with the majority attending Liverpool John Moores University), which isn't too far away - we're not too far outside of Liverpool. Oh, and I can only think of 2 people who have ever got into Oxford from our Sixth Form. So fingers crossed!
    Let's hope they like my application - I started writing about Pyrrolysine in my Statement, and about the Na+/K+ ATPase really getting me 'into' Biochem in the first place - in different, better, I hope, words!

I have actually also applied to Sutton Trust to do Chem at Cambridge, although I am aware that they only offer Nat Sci,(as none of my parents, nor step parents, have been to University - their highest qualifications are O Levels), and my family income isn't too much - the left side of a bell curve, but not overly extreme.

About 8 students from out Sixth Form went to Haydock last Tuesday for an Oxbridge conference where we went to many different talks, spoke to current students, and I even asked some of the staff what their PhDs were in because, well, I guess it interested me, hmm. The Biochem speaker (I can't remember his name, that day was very info dense) was actually taught the Krebs cycle by Krebs himself! And so I JUST HAD to go and speak to him, it turns out that his PhD was in Mitochondria/ATP synthase and seemed happy when I referred to the electron transport chain!

Okay, sorry for taking your time and sounding arrogant

Take care everybody, and best of luck!
    WOOO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMargetts)
    Hey, guys!
    I feel, somewhat, morally obliged to put myself out there - with all of you incredibly clever, and interesting people! (Who said flattery was 'sooo 20th century'?! )

Anyway!

GCSEs: 10A*s 2 As
    AS Levels (currently): AQA Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History
    I aim to drop the latter at the end of Y12.
    Ideal Course: Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry MSci.
    And if I had to be leaning towards a college this early, I'd say Magdalen or Corpus Christi/Jesus, we'll see!

I have applied to UNIQ to do Biochem(as my Sixth Form tends to average Bs and Cs with the majority attending Liverpool John Moores University), which isn't too far away - we're not too far outside of Liverpool. Oh, and I can only think of 2 people who have ever got into Oxford from our Sixth Form. So fingers crossed!
    Let's hope they like my application - I started writing about Pyrrolysine in my Statement, and about the Na+/K+ ATPase really getting me 'into' Biochem in the first place - in different, better, I hope, words!

I have actually also applied to Sutton Trust to do Chem at Cambridge, although I am aware that they only offer Nat Sci,(as none of my parents, nor step parents, have been to University - their highest qualifications are O Levels), and my family income isn't too much - the left side of a bell curve, but not overly extreme.

About 8 students from out Sixth Form went to Haydock last Tuesday for an Oxbridge conference where we went to many different talks, spoke to current students, and I even asked some of the staff what their PhDs were in because, well, I guess it interested me, hmm. The Biochem speaker (I can't remember his name, that day was very info dense) was actually taught the Krebs cycle by Krebs himself! And so I JUST HAD to go and speak to him, it turns out that his PhD was in Mitochondria/ATP synthase and seemed happy when I referred to the electron transport chain!

Okay, sorry for taking your time and sounding arrogant

Take care everybody, and best of luck!
    WOOO
    Hey there! It sounds like you have really good qualifications so far, so just keep up the good work and make sure you get the best grades you can at AS level.
    You also seem really enthusiastic about biochemistry so that's great and since you would probably get an interview with those GCSE grades, it's important that you make sure to demonstrate that at interview (tho I'm sure you already know all this!)
    Good luck on getting onto the summer schools, sounds like you have a good chance!
    Just a minor point, I'm like 90% sure Jesus don't teach Biochem so you wouldn't be able to apply there! I'm not sure about the 2016 prospectus but in the 2015 one there was a table in the back saying which colleges teach which subjects so check that!
    I'm currently holding an offer for Biochem at Oxford btw so feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions
    Good luck!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by JosieH98)
    Thoughts?
    The standard entry requirement for the IB (if HL maths is not offered) is 7 at HL chemistry & biology plus 7 at SL maths. If you are outperforming your peer group, talk to teachers about applying.

ReputationRep:
    My preferred college is The Queen's College, but I was on their website this morning looking at their law teaching body, only to see that there were no tutors per se, only fellows. Would this rule out studying law altogether at Queen's, or will they just ship me off for my tutorials to another college? Thank you 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J3SS742)
    Hey there! It sounds like you have really good qualifications so far, so just keep up the good work and make sure you get the best grades you can at AS level.
    You also seem really enthusiastic about biochemistry so that's great and since you would probably get an interview with those GCSE grades, it's important that you make sure to demonstrate that at interview (tho I'm sure you already know all this!)
    Good luck on getting onto the summer schools, sounds like you have a good chance!
    Just a minor point, I'm like 90% sure Jesus don't teach Biochem so you wouldn't be able to apply there! I'm not sure about the 2016 prospectus but in the 2015 one there was a table in the back saying which colleges teach which subjects so check that!
    I'm currently holding an offer for Biochem at Oxford btw so feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions
    Good luck!

Thank you very much, that means a lot!
    Ah right, yes, I can't seen to find the table in the 2016 one now - I guess it's hidden in plain sight!

I have only checked for a few that do Biochem, I just read about Jesus and quite liked it, so put it down - clearly depicting my naivety there, don't tell Oxford

And that is incredibly awesome, good luck with that! (For whatever that may mean, I'm so excited for you!)

You shouldn't have said that now, I'll end up bombarding you with questions

But thank you again, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMargetts)
    Thank you very much, that means a lot!
    Ah right, yes, I can't seen to find the table in the 2016 one now - I guess it's hidden in plain sight!

I have only checked for a few that do Biochem, I just read about Jesus and quite liked it, so put it down - clearly depicting my naivety there, don't tell Oxford

And that is incredibly awesome, good luck with that! (For whatever that may mean, I'm so excited for you!)

You shouldn't have said that now, I'll end up bombarding you with questions

But thank you again, much appreciated!

Here's a link to a webpage that has a list of all the colleges that do biochem http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ffer-my-course

Yeah I really liked Jesus college too haha, wish they did biochem!

Aww thanks and don't worry, send me any qs you have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J3SS742)
    Here's a link to a webpage that has a list of all the colleges that do biochem http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ffer-my-course

Yeah I really liked Jesus college too haha, wish they did biochem!

Aww thanks and don't worry, send me any qs you have!
    Thanks for that! Answered my question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    who will be applying for ppe?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.