Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official TSR Fantasy Football League 2014/15 watch

ReputationRep:
    What are peoples thoughts on Adebayor. Also, if I do drop him should I pick an alternative Spurs striker or Dzeko (I don't like Dzekos fixtures and was going to swap Ade for Dze after GW6.)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    What are peoples thoughts on Adebayor. Also, if I do drop him should I pick an alternative Spurs striker or Dzeko (I don't like Dzekos fixtures and was going to swap Ade for Dze after GW6.)
    Surely a starting City striker is fixture proof? Barely anyone stops them from scoring, especially at home. Chelsea were the only top 8 team to do so last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Surely a starting City striker is fixture proof? Barely anyone stops them from scoring, especially at home. Chelsea were the only top 8 team to do so last season.
    Will Dzeko be a starter. There's Aguero & Jovetic as well

ReputationRep:
    Dzeko is a very good option, one of the best in fact.

ReputationRep:
    Debating between Aguero & Dzeko.
    If I get Dzeko that would free up money for midfielders.
    Also Schurre anyone think he'll be a starter.
    If not then Henderson or Markovic?

ReputationRep:
    With Drogba back I'm inclined to take Costa out

Mou loves Drogba too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    Debating between Aguero & Dzeko.
    If I get Dzeko that would free up money for midfielders.
    Also Schurre anyone think he'll be a starter.
    If not then Henderson or Markovic?
    I don't think Schurrle regular starter. Odd game and impact sub apperances is my guess. Henderson yes. Markovic no.

(Original post by Isometrix)
    With Drogba back I'm inclined to take Costa out

Mou loves Drogba too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I've taken him out and got Haz back in. Just too much uncertainty from game to game with Drogba and Lukaku around.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Just out of interest is anyone doing the UFPL this year? I'm not as I won't focus on it as much as normal FPL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Just out of interest is anyone doing the UFPL this year? I'm not as I won't focus on it as much as normal FPL.
    That was my problem with the beta, i was too engrossed in normal fpl I ended up forgetting about it.

Not paying to play fantasy either :nope:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea in the first 5. City are sometimes slow starters anyway and personally I don't rate Pellegrini whatsoever (yes he won the league but with that squad it should have been by 10+ points.) I think City will struggle a bit early on and whilst they will probably score in every game, Dzeko will not. In those 3 very difficult fixtures I think City will get maybe 5 goals (probably less) and another 5 in the easier ones. Out of 10 ish goals Dzeko will probably be involved in 3-4 at most given he doesn't take set pieces and he doesn't get many assists. Whilst it might not seem a bad return I think that was all very conservative estimates (on my part) and in 5 games I think other strikers will perform considerably better.
    Also I think loads of people will start off with him and then when he doesn't perform in the opening few weeks they will sell and his price will plummet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Not paying to play fantasy either :nope:
    Not hardcore enough.

I will spend £5 on UFPL, about £30 on money leagues and then I'm tempted to get the FFS membership just for the stats (about £15).

Ah well, that's about 1p per hour I spend on FPL...

(Original post by mr tim)
    Takes a lot of the luck out of the game so I prefer it. Much better at it. When I get around to it, I'll sign up and create a league.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Dzeko has shown that if he plays, he will score. Minimum of 14 league goals a season for the last three years, without reaching 2000 minutes in a season. Very impressive stuff. So many high scoring games in big matches over the last three seasons that fixtures don't seem to matter in terms of attacking returns these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    Dzeko has shown that if he plays, he will score. Minimum of 14 league goals a season for the last three years, without reaching 2000 minutes in a season. Very impressive stuff. So many high scoring games in big matches over the last three seasons that fixtures don't seem to matter in terms of attacking returns these days.
    I really rate Dzeko and I think he should be starting every game and I think he will probably score once or twice in the opening 5 but I just don't think he will be one of the top 3 performing forwards in those first 5 games. After GW5 I will put him in and hopefully he can have a fantastic season but they are 5 very difficult games. He is a fantastic player and he often scores when playing but he is a poacher, he finishes off chances and is clinical but he doesn't create much and if all you can do is finish chances then those 5 games will be tough because there will not be many chances to finish. When he gets a chance he puts it away better than most but I don't see him getting too many chances.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Qari)
    Will Dzeko be a starter. There's Aguero & Jovetic as well
    Aguero looked unfit and knackered at the WC, I reckon he'll be eased in to start with. Especially since Pellegrini loves Dzeko. Jovetic is a bit of a wildcard as he was injured for most of last season.

Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea in the first 5. City are sometimes slow starters anyway and personally I don't rate Pellegrini whatsoever (yes he won the league but with that squad it should have been by 10+ points.) I think City will struggle a bit early on and whilst they will probably score in every game, Dzeko will not. In those 3 very difficult fixtures I think City will get maybe 5 goals (probably less) and another 5 in the easier ones. Out of 10 ish goals Dzeko will probably be involved in 3-4 at most given he doesn't take set pieces and he doesn't get many assists. Whilst it might not seem a bad return I think that was all very conservative estimates (on my part) and in 5 games I think other strikers will perform considerably better.
    Also I think loads of people will start off with him and then when he doesn't perform in the opening few weeks they will sell and his price will plummet.
    Are they? Last year you could put it down to a new manager learning the English game, I doubt Pellegrini had even heard of Cardiff before he had to face them in the league. However in the two seasons before that they didn't lose in the league until something like GW 15 (United in 2012, Chelsea the year before that) and beat top teams along the way.

I agree there will be other strikers who'll outperform him, but in terms of the 8.5 strikers he's the best option imo. At least for the start of the season.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Think I've finally settled on my chosen team - really happy with it although there is potential for it to bomb

------------- ----De Gea ----------------------
    ----Coleman --- Felipe Luis --- Coloccini--------
    Silva ----- Sanchez ----- Fabregas ---- Herrera
    ---- Ings ------ Pelle --------- Diego Costa ----

Subs : Upson, Morgan, Javi Garcia, Gilks

Now I've just got to pick a captain from that lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    I'm finding striker the hardest position to pick at the moment.

I've got Sturridge, Remy and Jelavic but with £2.5M in the bank. I can't really see any value in anyone from Rooney down to Remy. No guarantee of starts or even that they will be at the club :beard:
    I agree - strikers are the toughest.

Got Sturridge, Long, Remy.
    Still got 0.5m in bank
    And when Remy goes to Liverpool, I'll have too many players from there.

Bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mccrae01)
    Think I've finally settled on my chosen team - really happy with it although there is potential for it to bomb

------------- ----De Gea ----------------------
    ----Coleman --- Felipe Luis --- Coloccini--------
    Silva ----- Sanchez ----- Fabregas ---- Herrera
    ---- Ings ------ Pelle --------- Diego Costa ----

Subs : Upson, Morgan, Javi Garcia, Gilks

Now I've just got to pick a captain from that lot
    Not a bad team
    Interestingly I don't have any of the 14 you chose in my team...

For captain you gotta take a punt at one of the midfield 3 - personally I'd guess at fabregas or Sanchez.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like everyone is splashing out on the midfield and holding back up top. Most people have 1 expensive striker, 1 mid priced and then a really cheap guy at about 6m. Surprises me as typically it is the strikers who get all the points whilst midfielders do well, there are usually decent cheap options, up top you normally get what you pay for.
    For anyone interested my team is;
    DDG - Krul
    F.Luis - Debuchy - West ham 4.5m (Collins) - Stoke 4.5m (Cameron) - Palace 4.5m (Mariappa)
    Mata - Eriksen - De Jong - Shelvey - Tiote
    Rooney - Costa - Adebayor/Dzeko

Team value - 98.5m
    I will pick any cheap starting defender from the 3 teams as stated and if I have to get a 5m player then I still have the cash to do it, if not I could upgrade De Jong to Fabregas/Ramsey if I can find another 0.5m (maybe downgrade Shelvey.)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It seems like everyone is splashing out on the midfield and holding back up top. Most people have 1 expensive striker, 1 mid priced and then a really cheap guy at about 6m. Surprises me as typically it is the strikers who get all the points whilst midfielders do well, there are usually decent cheap options, up top you normally get what you pay for.
    I haven't done a single draft with a cheap striker in, it's going to backfire on people imo. Remember Anelka last year? Or Boselli before that?

By GW5 there will be one premium striker everyone is desperately trying to fit in. Happens every year.

ReputationRep:
    slowly starting to think about this seasons FF

Liking a front line of:

Lukaku - sturridge - Dzeko

* Presuming lukaku moves to everton..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.