Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mansun)
    Thank goodness, the university attracts a lot of cool people who work hard and play hard. They don't have many geeks.

Rahs aren't geeks, dumb dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    Rahs aren't geeks, dumb dumb
    You are sad enough to post drivel so you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Must be a good place to get top girls then... Hopefully its job prospects are extremely good too. If so, is it a worthy enough place to apply for an economics or maths course, in your opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think top girls will be found at any decent uni, and job prospects will be good for graduates from a top 20 university as determined by employers who have their favourite universities. Nottingham is a target university for investment banks, accountancy and law firms.

Maths and Economics would be a very good choice at Notts, but Bath, Warwick, LSE would be just as good. If you are outgoing, choose Notts. If like me you are more reserved then choose somewhere like UCL or Bath. The students at Notts are outgoing, high energy rich kids in the main, and either you are like them or you aren't. I would have preferred more studious and mature students than those I saw at Notts.

Very important that you visit at least 5 top universities and see if you can imagine fitting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriel96)
    I wouldn't have imagined there had been a study on how many people from public school backgrounds attend each university; private school backgrounds yes, but not pubic school. Perhaps I'm wrong. In my public school there wasn't a lot that went to Oxbridge at all (well, a respectable amount) because it is, clearly, very hard to get in.
    Public schools are private in British English.

ReputationRep:
    Must be a good place to get top girls then... Hopefully its job prospects are extremely good too. If so, is it a worthy enough place to apply for an economics or maths course, in your opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The guy is lying to you. He's a Notts student whose trying to pretend he's objective - oxymoron

Notts is not a target for IBs and top law firms - there's a huge thread on this search it

ReputationRep:
    Notts has around 25-30% international base, but that is not huge when you consider the student population is 30,000.

Really? And what evidence have you used to back up those assertions? It would have been nice if St Andrews and Bath were allowed into the Russell Group so that once and for all the debate would end whether they are world class research universities, but until that day comes they will be considered below world class.

Just because more posh people go to St Andrews than Notts, Manchester, Birmingham doesn't make it better. A lot of St Andrews students considered posh apply for some obscure ancient language or history of art. They don't do proper courses.

I would say these 3 universities are actually academically better than St Andrews. Manchester is a combination of the old Uni of Manchester & Umist, which makes it an academic powerhouse. Birmingham is still a very good university, I would be just as excited and proud to go there as say Bristol or Durham, and it has a medical and dental school (always nice to see this prestige given that my own background is medical science and biochemistry). Notts has a medical and vet school, plus the top rated pharmacy school in the land.

The RG has changed so much in the last decade, it is not longer a measure of quality. It has Oxbridge and also unis that constantly ranked outside the top 20 - RG2 type places like Notts.

Because the thread IS about posh universities that's why, what a stupid question.

What you say counts for very little seeing as you are a Notts student and obviously biased.

Every single indicator shows St A is better than the 3. You don't even have a leg to stand on

ReputationRep:
    You are sad enough to post drivel so you are.
    Yes I am rah and I'll never go to Notts that's for sure

ReputationRep:
    The guy is lying to you. He's a Notts student whose trying to pretend he's objective - oxymoron

Notts is not a target for IBs and top law firms - there's a huge thread on this search it
    I have no idea if IBs and law firms scout at Nottingham, but London Grammar went there and they score high on the coolness spectrum, so it can't be all bad. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I have no idea if IBs and law firms scout at Nottingham, but London Grammar went there and they score high on the coolness spectrum, so it can't be all bad. :cool:

Well as I said , this has been done 10x before (re: IB targets) there's a huge thread on this search it .

Never said they were bad but certainly nowhere as good as the poster is promoting as he is biased.

What is London Grammar btw ?

ReputationRep:
    I know that pubic schools are private! But clearly they're a different type of private school (usually boarding) and what I'm saying is that I'm not convinced at all that there's been a study on how many people from public school (not just private) attend each university.

ReputationRep:
    Well as I said , this has been done 10x before (re: IB targets) there's a huge thread on this search it .

Never said they were bad but certainly nowhere as good as the poster is promoting as he is biased.

What is London Grammar btw ?
    London Grammar's a band. It's interesting how these days an incredibly high number of bands/singers as well as actors come from not just good but very good education.

You've got to remember it's 80% that come from the top 6/targets. There's another 20%. Mostly from semi-targets, such as Notts, KCL, Cass etc... They must have had contacts to either give them more workshops or experiences, or to actually get them into banking. But 6 figures+ is easily attainable in banking if you keep working, and get up to a senior position EVEN in the back office.

For example, on Tuesday I went to a workshop at Deutsche Bank by Liverpool Street. My school organised it. Will things such as this increase my chances of getting into banking, considering I can add it to my CV?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think top girls will be found at any decent uni, and job prospects will be good for graduates from a top 20 university as determined by employers who have their favourite universities. Nottingham is a target university for investment banks, accountancy and law firms.

Maths and Economics would be a very good choice at Notts, but Bath, Warwick, LSE would be just as good. If you are outgoing, choose Notts. If like me you are more reserved then choose somewhere like UCL or Bath. The students at Notts are outgoing, high energy rich kids in the main, and either you are like them or you aren't. I would have preferred more studious and mature students than those I saw at Notts.

Very important that you visit at least 5 top universities and see if you can imagine fitting in.
    Replace just as good with a great deal better.

ReputationRep:
    London Grammar's a band. It's interesting how these days an incredibly high number of bands/singers as well as actors come from not just good but very good education.

You've got to remember it's 80% that come from the top 6/targets. There's another 20%. Mostly from semi-targets, such as Notts, KCL, Cass etc... They must have had contacts to either give them more workshops or experiences, or to actually get them into banking. But 6 figures+ is easily attainable in banking if you keep working, and get up to a senior position EVEN in the back office.

For example, on Tuesday I went to a workshop at Deutsche Bank by Liverpool Street. My school organised it. Will things such as this increase my chances of getting into banking, considering I can add it to my CV?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

A band ???

LOL enough said, that's Notts for you :facepalm:

No such thing as semi-targets. You are either target or not, end of. if you are talking non FO roles then anyone can apply even if you went to a poly.

I know that is greatly disappointing to RG2 type grads but it is what it is.

Anything ' helps ' but it will NOT put you into a target that's for sure.

Best not to get into the BS of trying to talk yourself into believing you're something you're not - instead do something to overcome your handicap.

Turn your anger into something constructive not destructive, understand ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriel96)
    Replace just as good with a great deal better.
    EEEEhehehehehe ! ! !

ReputationRep:
    A band ???

No such thing as semi-targets. You are either target or not, end of. if you are talking non FO roles then anyone can apply even if you went to a poly.

I know that is greatly disappointing to RG2 type grads but it is what it is.

Best not to get into the BS of trying to talk yourself into believing you're something you're not - instead do something to overcome your handicap.

Has it occurred to you that this thread might not just be about wannabee IBs? Some people actually like music (shock) and think highly original and creative bands coming from a particular college might be evidence that there is something good about the atmosphere of that institution. (horror) Some might even think that 'poshness' is not exclusively defined by the extent to which the graduates of a particular university are determined to get jobs in the City. (astonishment)

ReputationRep:
    A band ???

I know that greatly disappointing to RG2 type grads but it is what it is.

Well I think LG is a trio right? So I see, but lol basically they're a group in music. Yeah you're right about that BS thing. And anger? How did I show any 'anger' in that comment above? I mean, you're right, and I acknowledge your words, but how the hell did I still hint at any sort of 'anger' in me, even in the comment above?

BO > MO career progression is not impossible, and getting up to a senior/good position even in BO does still pay you a bit over 6 figures/you'll still be a "swinger", in the words of the guy I was with on that workshop (a director at the bank).

The hard thing is really getting to a top 6 uni. Once you're in, internships shouldn't be hard to get, meaning you're all the more likely to get into banking. It's uni. That's all that matters. Getting into a good uni really is the only hard thing, relatively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Has it occurred to you that this thread might not just be about wannabee IBs? Some people actually like music (shock) and think highly original and creative bands coming from a particular college might be evidence that there is something good about the atmosphere of that institution. (horror) Some might even think that 'poshness' is not exclusively defined by the extent to which the graduates of a particular university are determined to get jobs in the City. (astonishment)

Actually it occurred to me that this thread was about 'poshness' as the thread suggests.

Re: IBs, somebody else brought up the subject so can target your objections to them ?

ReputationRep:
    Well I think LG is a trio right? So I see, but lol basically they're a group in music. Yeah you're right about that BS thing. And anger? How did I show any 'anger' in that comment above? I mean, you're right, and I acknowledge your words, but how the hell did I still hint at any sort of 'anger' in me, even in the comment above?

BO > MO career progression is not impossible, and getting up to a senior/good position even in BO does still pay you a bit over 6 figures/you'll still be a "swinger", in the words of the guy I was with on that workshop (a director at the bank).

The hard thing is really getting to a top 6 uni. Once you're in, internships shouldn't be hard to get, meaning you're all the more likely to get into banking. It's uni. That's all that matters. Getting into a good uni really is the only hard thing, relatively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

BO > MO > FO is definitely possible. It takes much longer but that's the spirit, that what your goal needs to be.

OK swap energy for anger .... The point was a lot of non target people will believe their own hype and apply direct for FO grad. roles only to be flatly turned down, they will not realise why and keep trying and trying . Before you know it a couple of years have been washed down the loo and you are left with nothing more than a UB 40 form.

Like you say might as well be realistic and go for BO / MO roles 1st.

But I have better news for you if you send me a PM.

ReputationRep:
    Really? And what evidence have you used to back up those assertions? It would have been nice if St Andrews and Bath were allowed into the Russell Group so that once and for all the debate would end whether they are world class research universities, but until that day comes they will be considered below world class.

Just because more posh people go to St Andrews than Notts, Manchester, Birmingham doesn't make it better. A lot of St Andrews students considered posh apply for some obscure ancient language or history of art. They don't do proper courses.

I would say these 3 universities are actually academically better than St Andrews. Manchester is a combination of the old Uni of Manchester & Umist, which makes it an academic powerhouse. Birmingham is still a very good university, I would be just as excited and proud to go there as say Bristol or Durham, and it has a medical and dental school (always nice to see this prestige given that my own background is medical science and biochemistry). Notts has a medical and vet school, plus the top rated pharmacy school in the land.
    I can't be bothered to find the individual posts, so I'm gonna address a variety of things here. St Andrews is one of the country's top universities, even if it isn't in the Russell Group. Its maths course is part of the group just below Cambridge, along with the likes of Oxford, Warwick and Imperial. Being part of the RG doesn't automatically mean a university is of a high quality - are you seriously saying Cardiff is better than St Andrew's?! The makeup of the RG is based on research, as you've already said, but unlike you I don't think research quality should be a massive concern for an undergraduate. Student satisfaction, location and graduate prospects should be looked at first imo. Also, one of the main reasons why the likes of St Andrews and Durham don't perform too well in research assessments is that they are small universities. Less students means less funding, less permanently-employed academics and less publications.

You said before that St Andrews doesn't have a medical school, but it does - a fairly prestigious one. The fact that a university has a medical school doesn't mean that much either, since Lancaster, UAE and Brighton all have one. Nottingham medical school isn't quite as great as you're making out either. In pretty much every relevant major medicine-related metric (success in gaining first choice F1 post, postgraduate exam success rate, number of publications by undergraduates), Newcastle beats Nottingham. It's for this reason that, despite getting offers from both for medicine, I chose to insure Newcastle and reject Nottingham. Newcastle is widely-regarded as having the best modern medicine course, as opposed to the traditional ones offered by Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL. Nottingham is, in general, more prestigious for most other courses, but the difference isn't great enough to worry about for most of them - they're about on par with each other. I haven't looked at the employment rates and average salary across all subjects at both universities, but I'd hazard a guess that the difference is minimal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    More students = bigger class sizes, far less individual attention.

Worse value for money.

Oh 1 other criteria to look at is entrance requirements.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.