Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    I don't think there's online link but if you can find the hard copy you can check it. Someone had an actual hard copy of it on here n told me a while back
    In other words, it's unreliable information from an unreliable source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    It was never CCC, UCL lowest use to be BBB.
    It doesn't surprise me it was CCC engineering was very unpopular back then and the industry was lacking in numbers when it came to actual engineers, it's so popular now even though there is still a lack of engineers its much much better than it was several years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    not really because it was pretty consistent with a lot of universities not just UCL, find any old copies from about 7+ years ago..engineering in general then was a very unpopular course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsico)
    If you guys were ever a married couple, I don't think you'd ever get anything done. Just squibble all day and night 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well , one good thing that comes out of this, is betting tips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    not really because it was pretty consistent with a lot of universities not just UCL, find any old copies from about 7 years ago..engineering in general then was a very unpopular course.
    I applied 06 i picked the most doss courses ucl had to offer it was BBB backed then. I remember i got rejected and was PPO. Hence how I went to the Strand Poly.

ReputationRep:
    It is really unreliable, UCL has always had higher expectations before this A* came into play. Since 06 i saw it as BBB+ The lowest then last few years ABB and the GCSE requirement went up.

ReputationRep:
    I applied 06 i picked the most doss courses ucl had to offer it was BBB backed then. I remember i got rejected and was PPO.
    You're talking about memory I'm talking about industry facts. Universities then were seriously trying to get more people to do engineering because as i said it was very unpopular then. It really is a simple fact, the more popular a course gets, the more applicants will apply to it hence they won't be enough places on the course compared to the number of applicants hence by increasing requirements not only do you create competition amongst applicants(to single out the "good" ones) and but also other universities try to compete with your applicants and raise their requirements too (hence why it is often difficult to choose between institutions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    You're talking about memory I'm talking about industry facts. Universities then were seriously trying to get more people to do engineering because as i said it was very unpopular then. It really is a simple fact, the more popular a course gets, the more applicants will apply to it hence they won't be enough places compared to the number of applicants hence by increasing requirements not only do you create competition amongst applicants and but also other universities try to compete with your applicants and raise their requirements too (hence why it is often difficult to choose between institutions).
    Im talking about rejection from first hand experience. I have my letters even from 2 years ago. Its always been relatively high. Its taken me what 8 years to get to my 1st choice,lol.

ReputationRep:
    Im talking about rejection from first hand experience. I have my letters even from 2 years ago. Its always been relatively high,
    the timeline i stated was over 8 years ago so i don't know what you're arguing about mate.

ReputationRep:
    yeah its a bit of a joke, however they have to draw the line somewhere and when they have so many applicants to choose from, they can afford to put up such barriers as it'll save them time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    the timeline i stated was over 8 years ago so i don't know what you're arguing about mate.
    Because before applying 06, i started going through ucas around 04, when your claiming it was CCC. They never had a course then that low.

ReputationRep:
    Because before applying 06, i started going through ucas around 04, when your claiming it was CCC. They never had a course then that low.
    Now now, stop kidding yourself. You're trolling now. As I said earlier it doesn't just apply to UCL only it applies to most (if not all) of the universities that offered engineering courses, they had much much lower requirements than what it is now simply because it wasn't popular and demand was low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Thanks to the previous administration, there's too many graduates. Employers have to reduce the number of applications they have to process somehow, and unfortunately that means setting arbitrary requirements like degree classification and UCAS tariff points.

I was stung by the latter (frustratingly) when I was first looking to get a graduate job, despite having a First class degree and years of useful experience. Auto-sift is a ***** but that's the game you play when you get a Desmond.
    ???

ReputationRep:
    ???
    A 2:2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../TutuCOP17.JPG

ReputationRep:
    It's bizarre. It means you can go to crap university, do an easy course, get your 2.1 and you'll get further ahead in some of this company's applications than someone with AAAA and 58% in their maths or engineering degree from the likes of Cambridge or Imperial. On the basis of inferior academics!? Not intelligent enough?! I do believe though, your degree grade won't dictate your eventual success. It just makes getting that first position a little harder. I'm a trainee actuary working in insurance and I know we wouldn't reject someone with a good mathematical degree from a top university because it's a 2.2. No way.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah agree- pretty sure Engineering was around BBB back then. Out of interest what made you decide to go from geography to pharmacy? How are you funding a second undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozen_fire)
    Yeah agree- pretty sure Engineering was around BBB back then. Out of interest what made you decide to go from geography to pharmacy? How are you funding a second undergrad?
    Oh I want to be working in an NHS environment better job security/pension, you name it. More respectable then being a sales person. Im working and paying for it all full £9k, i will probably end up moving to a more home based role. I get £0 student loan and bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    either way your degree was a prerequisient.

He has spent a **** load already on his university education, and committed 3 years of his life. He shouldn't have to do this , as it just makes it seem like his original degree was a waste of time and money.

Your way of thinking is not practical, and absurd.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...s-9611409.html

If someone wants something badly they pay for it. Just like for my Pharmacy degree, ive got a teacher hired. Imagine at my age, Im way younger then your parents were,having £9k to pay then a private tutor, whilst paying all my living costs and £0 student loan. It can be done, I don't see how you can complain about parents not being able to do so. I have £25k a year going out before leisure. Some times lazy parents, need a kick up the ass and to cut out the bad habits. Self investment is the most important thing to success, whether its time or money.Play to your strengths!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...s-9611409.html

If someone wants something badly they pay for it. Just like for my Pharmacy degree, ive got a teacher hired. Imagine at my age, Im way younger then your parents were,having £9k to pay then a private tutor, whilst paying all my living costs and £0 student loan. It can be done, I don't see how you can complain about parents not being able to do so. I have £25k a year going out before leisure. Some times lazy parents, need a kick up the ass and to cut out the bad habits. Self investment is the most important thing to success, whether its time or money.Play to your strengths!
    If you are living in poverty, or the bread line, chances are, you are already doing a poorly paid job - below 15k. Many of these people actually end up doing 2 jobs to support themselves, and after that when combined they do not make enough. Rent, household expenses etc.

Either way something has to give - if you have a family, it means you have less time to spend with your children, which impairs their development.
    Right now , you can say this **** because you are single.

But life does not work that way.

Finally 9k is A LOT, when you can't even get a job like the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    If you are living in poverty, or the bread line, chances are, you are already doing a poorly paid job - below 15k. Many of these people actually end up doing 2 jobs to support themselves, and after that when combined they do not make enough. Rent, household expenses etc.

Either way something has to give - if you have a family, it means you have less time to spend with your children, which impairs their development.
    Right now , you can say this **** because you are single.

But life does not work that way.

Finally 9k is A LOT, when you can't even get a job like the OP.
    The job centre, I saw are offering people the opportunity to train as SIA doormen, Warehouse Operatives (forklift license) or NVQ Carers, there getting £8-10 an hour. All part time jobs and they take on students, heck they take on large numbers of short term migrant workers. In that £25k Im paying halls, some people don't want to work enough. Theres 24 hours in a day, if I need the money I would be happy to work 60-70 hours a week, over HT. No I actually have a dependents, when your dating someone, your obviously have to spend ££. As a student, I wouldn't want my lifestyle diminishing. If your on £15k as a parent at middle age then there is seriously something wrong with you. When a school leaver on certain schemes are on £16-20k basic plus bonus, thats a 16 yo. If you want to aim high, you have to spend big.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.