Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username13)
    Are there much differences between Nottingham and Bristol in terms of the course? e.g. is one more mathematical than the other
    You can avoid maths more at nottingham because you can take it as a BA but I'm not sure which is more mathematical if you do the Bsc way at nottingham I'd imagine fairly similar though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    You can avoid maths more at nottingham because you can take it as a BA but I'm not sure which is more mathematical if you do the Bsc way at nottingham I'd imagine fairly similar though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so hard to decide between the two..

ReputationRep:
    Which others are you applying to? I guess you'd have to make a choice about where you want to live for 3 years, that could be a way to differentiate between the two

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's course is definitely very mathematical - I know many people who did A level Maths and are struggling at Bristol.

Nottingham I would assume is less mathematical, especially as you have the option to do it as a BA instead of a BSc.

ReputationRep:
    Ah wow well done on your results
    What are your gap year plans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My reason was to take Further Maths as I felt I made a mistake in picking subjects that I didn't like and still want to take it. Also to get some volunteering and earn some money for Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteelCookie)
    My reason was to take Further Maths as I felt I made a mistake in picking subjects that I didn't like and still want to take it. Also to get some volunteering and earn some money for Uni.
    Ah which maths modules are you doing this year then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah which maths modules are you doing this year then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    S2, S3, S4, FP1, FP2 and FP3. It's a race against time as to whether I'll finish them all in time :x

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm wondering if LSE would consider my application...
    I'm an Indian currently in my final year of school, doing CIE A levels.

Okay, here's what happened. My parents wanted me to study Medicine in college.
    Around the end of AS, I realised that there's no way I'd enjoy being a doctor.

After a lot of persuading, I finally convinced my parents to let me drop Bio and take up Econs.
    It's not a rash decision, I had always wanted to take Econs, but I couldn't fit it in with my subject choices at my school.
    My school allows students to take MAX 5 A Levels with English Language being compulsory.
    Of course with medicine requiring 2 or more sciences, I took Bio, Phy, Chem, Math and English.

I'm doing Econs AS this Oct/Nov. I got As in AS (Except English, C in that).
    I'm predicted A*s in Math, Phy, Chem and hopefully Econs. I think I'm predicted an A in AS for that...
    Got 5A*s and 3As in IGCSE (out of 8)

Oh and I'm also applying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick and Bath

So, anyways, the point is that will LSE consider my application taking into account my situation and wait for my AS results (coz they arrive at Jan 15)
    Thanks for reading my excessively long post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteelCookie)
    S2, S3, S4, FP1, FP2 and FP3. It's a race against time as to whether I'll finish them all in time :x
    Ah erm I guess it'll just be good time management, so far I've only done fp1 from that list and that's pretty short

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd say so although it might depend on what your Bs are in if ones in maths that might be more of an issue as warwick deffo specifies an A in maths, not sure about bath or Bristol but it shouldn't be an issue for nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My prediction is A for maths which im confident i can get. Also...My school do not declare AS grades so no one would know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyrogyra)
    My prediction is A for maths which im confident i can get. Also...My school do not declare AS grades so no one would know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooh well fair enough then it shouldn't be an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting to apply for economics courses in scotland and it's edging nearer to personal statement writing time. I have never studied economics before as my school doesn't offer it, however, I have done both maths and business. I'm considering reading a book in order to mention it in my statement. Has anyone got any suggestions or any other ideas of things I can do? I already play football and have a part time job but feel like extra things a would push my application on.

ReputationRep:
    Other than oxford and lse I can't imagine that your gcses will have any effect considering how well you've done at A2

You should be able to apply to any A*AA if your resitting your maths but probably not cambridge, lse or ucl as they generally want an A* in maths already so may not be good choices. But that still leaves plenty of other universities bath, Bristol etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply, very reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go Warwick. Anyone know Warwick's place per applications statistic?

I got 5a*, 2a, 3b in GCSE and AAAB in AS-levels with predictions of A*A*AA

ReputationRep:
    What do Nottingham offer for people taking 3 A levels? The website says A*AA-AAA... So whats more likely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAV 123)
    I really want to go Warwick. Anyone know Warwick's place per applications statistic?

On which university it says 61%

I really want to go to warwick too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do Nottingham offer for people taking 3 A levels? The website says A*AA-AAA... So whats more likely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're best thinking it's going to be the higher one
    But here's the offers page from last year and of the a level offers it is mostly a*aa

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cs_offers_2014

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The A*AA one is the standard offer and the AAA is for students with extenuating circumstances e.g living in care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAV 123)

1/3 got offers in 2012

reasonable chance of offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    1/3 got offers in 2012

reasonable chance of offer
    whichuni says 61% got offers.. is whichuni a reliable source?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.