Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Never had a car because we couldn't afford one. Still can't. Never properly had my own bedroom and still don't sleep in a bedroom. Don't have anywhere to work for exams in the house without disturbance so I use my attic. Didn't go on school trips until secondary school (they were only £13 though but that was a lot for us back then).

I learnt that we were not well off very young and I rarely asked for things from my mum. Despite this I've never been left to go hungry or cold or anything. Luckily our financial situation is not as bad as before but still our household income is less than half of the national average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    Not really, perfectly happy with the 5C thanks?
    :facepalm:

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceryni)
    :facepalm:

I didn't get why it was necessary so...

ReputationRep:
    Didnt know I was this rich until dad bought me an apartment near Kings Cross for me to study medicine at UCL

Mind you I am international and it was my first year in the UK, he didnt even tell me he bought it until the day before I reach the UK, and it was bought a month before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I was really young we were fairly rich, me and my brother both went to a private school. At that time we had enough to live off.

Once I started primary school we were really broke. It was always embarrassing when everyone would ask what I got for Christmas/ birthday because it was never much. Couldn't afford nice clothes, shoes ect. If it weren't for free school meals I wouldn't of had food until I got home from school.

Not that my situation is much different now, money's still a big problem. I've never been able to tell people what I got for my birthday or Christmas even when I was younger. Used to get made fun of for being poor, I'm so glad that doesn't happen anymore

ReputationRep:
    When I saved up £15 in 1ps and 2ps to buy a Harry potter cape, wand and glasses.

ReputationRep:
    Eh, I can't really say whether I'm "rich" or "poor" - I've known richer and poorer

I live in a pretty crummy area which my Mum's boyfriend makes fun of O_O and I know that she works a lot to pay the bills. But I guess I've been sheltered a bit because I'm an only child, and the fact that I move between houses every week to see my Dad

I kinda have a deep loathing for anyone with too much money though. I've never suffered financially but I hate how a lot of people (cough, cough MPs, cough) see university fees as nothing. It's really demeaning to borrow so much money, even if it's for a good cause.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was only last year when I'd gone on four plus holidays and stayed at 5 star hotels for half of them. One holiday was specifically for me to see a play. We didn't even have to pay for the plane tickets because my father travels with work so much that we just get them now. We also just started planning our next holiday during our last one, which is ungrateful on so many levels.

There was also one time when speaking to a friend of mine about glasses and she said she had trouble seeing but could never go to the opticians because of the petrol money. The thing that confused me was that she was always talking about how she couldn't wait to start driving. My friends and I were *******s to her though. She'd refuse to come into town with us because she couldn't afford the bus ticket and we always said **** like "but it's only £7 for return. It's not even a big deal".

I understand why she couldn't do all the things that my friends could do now (I still don't understand the opticians thing now bc you didn't even have to pay for glasses or the amount of pets she owned). I just wish I realised how lucky we were sooner so I never made her feel bad. We're all cool now though, so I guess that's one thing. Still wanna punch myself in the face for it, though.

Do I get the souvenir t-shirt saying "biggest ******* growing up" now or later?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    Another point which will probably make me seem stuck-up. When shopping, financial situations become much more aware.

For example: I always seem to get strange looks from a few strangers whenever I am holding a Harvey Nichols' bag, or a Waitrose bag.

It just makes one aware that many people cannot go to 'good' shops, and that many luxuries are taken advantage of, even in good areas of cities, in the 21st century.

Only recently did I discover that most people do not spend £125 on a pair of trousers...
    In what world are you living in for you to never have realised until recently that most people don't spend £125 on trousers? That sounds terribly ignorant and uncultured.
    I went to a private school and my parents are doctors but I have always been aware of my surroundings and understand not everyone lives like this

ReputationRep:
    The other month we were struggling to pay the bills so my Dad had to work nights so we had more money coming into the house.
    Most our food is Tesco or Happy Shopper brand and not Heinz, etc brand.
    Thinking things that are cheap for other people are expensive for my family.
    Haven't been on holiday for 3/4 years and not going this summer.
    Didn't get to go on the Italy Geography trip in year 9 because my parents couldn't afford to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronmack)
    After a country reaches a certain Gdp it slows down. USA is doing okay. Better than the other G7.
    That goes without saying. It's doing okay yeah, but it's not doing particulalrly well, we've seen the labour market tickup recently, but the housing market is getting crushed. Consumer confidence isn't too high, business confidence is slowly recovering. QE3 basically failed, going to be interestin what Yellen says at the next meeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Am I missing something? I don't think I get the punchline.
    I was just silly and thought the milkman was out friend and knew my birthday when really my mum asked him to add orange juice for the day for my birthday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow Student)
    I'm not well of at all but we're not poor per se. We just have little room for treats and our purses are usually slim lol. I don't get pocket money, my phone is 3 years old and one winter we were paying 60-something quid a week to heat the house for 3 hours a day. But we're gonna live in a council house so bye bye rip-off bills. We have decent clothes, a roof above us, food, the occasional treat etc so it's basically OK- I'm in between the two. It's a lot better now I have money from college (60 quid a term makes me feel giddy lol). So yeah we only have a bit of money but it's fine. We're the average I guess.
    Oh yes our heating bills went down SO much after we moved into a council house, our old house had really high ceilings and crap insulation. **** was expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really pin a moment where I realised my family was "well off". I live And have always lived off the main road in a little village with two other houses which are as big as ours etc.

ERM I guess the realisation eventually (when I grew up enough to know what stuff costs) that my parents having two cars each was expensive :P

Gifts etc at Xmas/birthday

When I joined a private school in yr 7 alongside my sister

Holidays

When we bought a second house I'm Wales to use on the occasions we spent a weekend there or something

Etc.

Its really hit home recently when my dad bought me a 4 bed house for whilst I work (I'm 18 :P) and when he told me how much money has got in investments.. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    That goes without saying. It's doing okay yeah, but it's not doing particulalrly well, we've seen the labour market tickup recently, but the housing market is getting crushed. Consumer confidence isn't too high, business confidence is slowly recovering. QE3 basically failed, going to be interestin what Yellen says at the next meeting.
    Do you still think China will keep having 6-7 growth every year? For the next 15 Years?

ReputationRep:
    I went to a minor prep school for primary and later on went to a state high school, but I distinctly remember being bullied in Y5 because my Dad had a Mercedes instead of a BMW like everyone elses dad. My High School also had two distinct classes of people, chavs who lived on the council estate and middle class kids like me, so as a result I didn't realize just how well off we were until College. My big oh wow we're well off moment was when a friend of mine who didn't have a lot of money, came round to my house and was shocked by the radiators being on in December, didn't know what a breakfast bar was, couldn't stop staring at the flatscreen TV and when my Dad gave him a lift home his Dad wouldn't believe he'd ridden in such a new car. I felt really guilty then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    You were poor!

You lived in a house. We had no house for a period of time, living under a tree by the side of the common in Barnet, with only leaves and twigs for shelter, no trainers and clothes that were not designer labels. My dad used to go to work on foot before we got up and worked seven days a week for long hours, to bring home the odd scraps of food like a bird returning to the nest. No celebrations at Christmas, birthdays or even the Royal Weddings. A holiday was walking down the road to a neighbouring tree taking the twigs, scraps and other detritus with us to avoid our 'house' being robbed.

And you tell people today and they don't believe you.
    I wondered how long it would take for someone to (mis)quote Monty Python.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    For me there were a few things that made it plainly obvious we were struggling financially top ones would probably be.

- When my mum had to work Christmas eve and Christmas day when we were kids because she couldn't afford not to take the shifts.

-When my packed lunches were bread and butter (before they started offering us free school lunches).

-Most of my clothes were second hand or hand me downs, own clothes days at school were just a recipe for bullying.

-When a pack of biscuits or crisps was a major treat

- the look of confusion and pity on friends faces when they asked me what I got for Christmas or birthdays, that one was probably one the worst.

-hearing my mum cry at night on the phone about money, that's when I realised mainly and stopped asking for things.

-never using the heating

Despite all that I had a great childhood my mum always took great care of us and despite being poor we hardly ever felt it as children.

when you have 4 meals in a 7 day week.

when your meals are weird stuff.

like peas and potatos.

when social services threaten to take you away.

when you catch pneumonia because the walls have damp rot.

and finally. the best one of all.

WHEN SOMEONE BREAKS INTO YOUR HOUSE...

AND NOTHING IS STOLEN...

ah life... things you do to me...

EDIT:
    oh yea. and when the people who you thought were rich, turn out to be middleclass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCM2)
    In what world are you living in for you to never have realised until recently that most people don't spend £125 on trousers? That sounds terribly ignorant and uncultured.
    I went to a private school and my parents are doctors but I have always been aware of my surroundings and understand not everyone lives like this
    I think there's some exaggerating going on in the thread, as well as some fantasising from one or two posters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I think there's some exaggerating going on in the thread, as well as some fantasising from one or two posters.
    What? I only realized the true extent of my family's wealth when we had orange juice taps installed in the kitchen.

Spoiler:
    Show
    not serious

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.