The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Rojo doesn't impress me anywhere near as much as Debuchy, Moreno or Filipe Luis.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Jordi Mestre (Barca VP) says they paid £65m for Suarez. Thought it was a little more than that. Might not include add-ons though, but he does describe it as a 'final figure'.

After the Neymar affair I'm not about to start believing Barca. If Suarez's release clause was £75M FSG would never have let him go for a penny less.
Reply 322
This is boring, we have like no transfer targets to talk about anymore
Original post by Yesss I diddd
Spanish press tried to downplay the figure to £63m as well before.

I don't believe a word of it. The clause was £75m and FSG would have made them pay the clause.

Original post by EmperorMustard
Jordi Mestre (Barca VP) says they paid £65m for Suarez. Thought it was a little more than that. Might not include add-ons though, but he does describe it as a 'final figure'.

Real did the same for the Bale transfer and Barca didn't talk about the full extent of the Neymar fee.
Goal.com says we're interested in Patrick Roberts. Parents are from Merseyside and he's a Liverpool fan.

From my (not extensive) reading he's widely ranked as the best attacking talent for his age group in the country, think he turns 18 this season. Super fast, tricky winger. Amazing dribbler. Physique of a young Cristiano.

edit: hmm I just youtubed him again and it's not exactly a young Cristiano, but something does remind me of him.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think we got a better deal with Moreno than Man Utd are with Rojo (although they need him more since he can play LB or LCB).
Chambers looks really accomplished tonight. Man, I wish we'd have gone in for him. He's looking like a bargain compared to Shaw.
Original post by Zerforax
I think we got a better deal with Moreno than Man Utd are with Rojo (although they need him more since he can play LB or LCB).

Why are they spending £46m on left-backs, though? It's bizarre.
Original post by cBay
This is boring, we have like no transfer targets to talk about anymore

Just that big striker/winger left to find. I read somewhere that Lavezzi's psg contract renewal talks broke down but I've no idea whether that's true or not.

Not sure we'll get anyone else now :sad:

Although Rodgers is clearly still looking for the marquee signing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teixeira bagged for Brighton at Elland Road tonight.

Good win for Sami's boys. I think a lot of Brighton fans were really impressed with him when he came off the bench at the weekend, so it's good that he started and got a goal to his name. It'll do him the world of good.
Original post by Mackay
Why are they spending £46m on left-backs, though? It's bizarre.

Well Shaw will be their LB whereas Rojo will be the LCB (next to Evans and P.Jones as a 3 man defence).
Original post by Zerforax

i agree - i feel that moreno will work very well with our style of play (touch wood), and i feel that united have definitely overpaid on defenders.
however if they have the cash to spend and they get the players, who am i to say anything?

i was worried they were going to get players of higher quality such as hummels for example.
however you never know, rojo could turn out to be very solid in the united defence.

Original post by Endless Blue
Just that big striker/winger left to find. I read somewhere that Lavezzi's psg contract renewal talks broke down but I've no idea whether that's true or not.

Not sure we'll get anyone else now :sad:

Although Rodgers is clearly still looking for the marquee signing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, there have been links to lavezzi along with cavani and falcao - nothing solid though, just rumours of interest really.

i think it's more than likely that we will sign a striker since rodgers has highlighted the need himself.
i know he's going for falcao or cavani, but i'm sure he'd happily take bony if not.
there are options for us - i think a striker and nothing more would be an excellent window for us.

in other news, the telegraph reports that coutinho will feature in a revamped brazil squad after the world cup embarassment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/11044539/Liverpool-midfielder-Philippe-Coutinho-called-into-Brazil-squad-as-Dunga-makes-sweeping-changes.html

personally i'm really happy about that; i was shocked he didn't go to the world cup at all.
i think with his recent performances and his rate of development over the last year he could be a real asset to that brazil side.
Reply 332
Rojo for 20m euros is absurd. He's not a very good defender.
Original post by kuks

This.
Original post by kuks

Given how desperate United are for reinforcements and how much our Chief Executive has been blabbing about an ''unlimited budget'', it was inevitable that they would pay inflated fees for everyone. Even someone like Ron Vlaar would probably cost £15m.

Goal.com says we're interested in Patrick Roberts. Parents are from Merseyside and he's a Liverpool fan.

From my (not extensive) reading he's widely ranked as the best attacking talent for his age group in the country, think he turns 18 this season. Super fast, tricky winger. Amazing dribbler. Physique of a young Cristiano.

edit: hmm I just youtubed him again and it's not exactly a young Cristiano, but something does remind me of him.

I caught the end of Fulham's opening game against Ipswich when this guy came off the bench, he looks the real deal. Suspect we'll be hearing a lot of him this season regardless of where he ends up playing his football.
Original post by sr90
Given how desperate United are for reinforcements and how much our Chief Executive has been blabbing about an ''unlimited budget'', it was inevitable that they would pay inflated fees for everyone. Even someone like Ron Vlaar would probably cost £15m.

I caught the end of Fulham's opening game against Ipswich when this guy came off the bench, he looks the real deal. Suspect we'll be hearing a lot of him this season regardless of where he ends up playing his football.

Do you think you'll manage to get those other 3 or 4 signings you need within 2 weeks?
Original post by sr90

I read a couple of threads on youth football on other forums, and he's universally very highly rated, near-universally ranked as the best prospect in the country for that age etc. And that's rare because fans of a club tend to overrate/vastly overrate/show huge optimism towards their own youth players compared to those from other clubs.
There was some good discussion on Jordon Ibe a while back and whether he should go on loan or not, well...

Ibe is about to go on loan to Bolton in the championship, according to the Mirror, same paper that reported Wisdom to WBA.

I don't know anything about Bolton or their playing style but it's reported that the manager turned down other targets just to get Ibe, so that bodes well.

Ibe's two problems are decision making and finishing. The finishing will come in time, but you can't thrive in a Rodgers team without good decision making. He's had probably near enough 18 months of training with the first team, maybe more. The Championship is physical and relentless, Ibe will be twice as talented as anyone else in their team, and he'll soon learn that trying to take on the extra player instead of offloading it to the man in space is just not acceptable when you've got 20,000 fans at the Reebok hurling abuse at you.

Ibe's two problems are decision making and finishing. The finishing will come in time, but you can't thrive in a Rodgers team without good decision making. He's had probably near enough 18 months of training with the first team, maybe more. The Championship is physical and relentless, Ibe will be twice as talented as anyone else in their team, and he'll soon learn that trying to take on the extra player instead of offloading it to the man in space is just not acceptable when you've got 20,000 fans at the Reebok hurling abuse at you.

I would agree that those are his problems are odds are, they will come with time and experience. I do not agree that he is twice as talented as anyone in the team. If we're being honest, the reason he isn't going to a premier league club is because no one rates him highly enough to guarantee him regular starts. This means that right now, he is not good enough for the premiership. Bolton are not a bad team by Championship standards and in such a changeable league (Burnley tipped for relegation last year) they have done quite well to always be close (ish) to the play offs. I watched Hull there the season we were promoted and were the 2nd best team in the division and Bolton tore us apart in 8 minutes. It was 3-0 before half of the fans had sat down.
They have a similar play style to Liverpool in that it is fast breakaways and Ibe will fit in well but don't expect him to get 90 mins a game because he is far from their best player. It will be a good experience for him but only a few months ago, he was struggling to get in the Birmingham team.
More papers linking Liverpool to Balotelli this morning in a £18m deal. If he has grown up at all then he would be a great signing but if not, I don't see any reason why Rodgers could control a player that Mourinho said was impossible to work with. Great managers have tried and failed to get the best out of him and I don't think Rodgers has a better chance unless Balotelli wants to be at his best.
For £18m he is an absolute steal and he is definitely available, realistic and he will score goals. That is most of the characteristics needed at the moment. If he has grown up a bit then he could be one of the best strikers in the league.

Quick Reply

Latest