Eurovision Song Contest Society 2015 Watch

ManicPumpkin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
There's a Eurovision at 60 documentary on BBC Four right now!
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ManicPumpkin)
There's a Eurovision at 60 documentary on BBC Four right now!
Isn't the documentary the same every year?
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aph)
Isn't the documentary the same every year?
Nope! This is a new one!
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope! This is a new one!
Oh, might watch that one then. Thanks
26december
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really hope Spain aren't overlooked tomorrow and change the competition. Edurne's performing 21st and I hate to say it but kind of in between two basic songs (Romania and Latvia). I'm hoping this will make her stand out because I honestly think Spain are constantly underrated and they/she totally deserves it tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
talentedlobster
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think Italy is definitely too late in the running order to trouble the top 5 especially in a 27-song contest. Voter fatigue will have set in by that point (similar to the UK last year). I also think Russia is possibly too late in the running order to win as well. However I believe Sweden can definitely win from 10th, Austia won last year from 11th

I thought that the prime place you wanted to be was 18-23 in the running order, so probably Italy is a bit late but Russia is looking quite good. Sweden and the UK are going to have a tough time getting the votes, but Sweden could wing because there song it just that much better than anyone else.
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
Happy Eurovision Day!
Snufkin
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If Russia wins will the contest even go ahead next year? How many states would boycott it?
Emsybean
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Going to be so gutted if Italy finish outside the top 10, their voices are amazing
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
If Russia wins will the contest even go ahead next year? How many states would boycott it?
It would definitely cause controversy, something the contest could well do without. Given the number of gay supporters who would want to attend, not to mention the lengths Austria have gone to this year to promote inclusivity, it'd definitely be a bitter pill for people to swallow. But I expect the contest would still go ahead, the primary audience is TV viewers after all, not the attendees.
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
#Sochi2016
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Russia winning would indeed cause issues, but it would definitely go ahead still. While Eurovision does have a massive lgbt fan base we do need to remember it is called eurovision not lgbtvision etc. so apart from "Russians are mean" there is sadly little that can be said to stop it going ahead, as I don't think making everyone happy in the host country is required for hosting.

Do remember Azerbaijan with its "excellent" human rights record hosted in 2012. Pretty sure they knocked down loads and loads of peoples homes to built Baku Crystal Hall. So yeah if Azerbaijan can host, so can Russia

In terms of running order stuff. I feel both Russia and Italy are too late to win! Also ORF isn't doing the whole "stick bad songs between good songs" thing that was used loads last year to help Sweden and Austria out. So I actually think they are trying to ensure Russia lose by not putting dull songs by them.

After the Jury Final, this is the order ORF decided to have votes announced tonight:

1) Montenegro (Andrea Demirovic)
2) Malta (Julia Zahra)
3) Finland (Krista Siegfrids)
4) Greece (Helena Paparizou)
5) Portugal (Suzy)
6) Romania (Sonia Argint Ionescu)
7) Belarus (Teo)
8) Albania (Andria Xhahu)
9) Moldova (Olivia Fortuna)
10) Azerbaijan (Tural Asadou)
11) Latvia (Markus Riva)
12) Serbia (Maia Nikolic)
13) Estonia (Tania)
14) Denmark (Basim)
15) Switzerland (Laetitia Guarino)
16) Belgium (Walid)
17) France (Virginie Guillaume)
18) Armenia (Lilit Muradyan)
19) Ireland (Nicky Byrne)
20) Sweden (Mariette Hanson)
21) Germany (Barbara Schöneberger)
22) Australia (Lee Lin Chin)
23) Czech Republic (Daniela Pisarovicova)
24) Spain (Lara Siscar)
25) Austria (Kati Bellowitsch)
26) F.Y.R. Macedonia (Marko Mark)
27) Slovenia (Tinkara Kovac)
28) Hungary (Csilla Tatar)
29) United Kingdom (Nigella Lawson)
30) Georgia (Natia Bunturi)
31) Lithuania (Ugné Galadauskaite)
32) Netherlands (Edsilia Rombley)
33) Poland (Cleo)
34) Israel (Ofer Nachshom)
35) Russia (Dmitry Shepelev)
36) San Marino (Valentina Monetta)
37) Italy (Federico Russo)
38) Iceland (Sigridur Halldorsdottir)
39) Cyprus (Loukas Hamatsos)
40) Norway (Margrethe Røed)

Any ideas who won Jury vote guys?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I suppose there's some small chance that the Russian government could refuse permission to host Eurovision if their act wins it this year. The TV networks would likely want to go ahead but with Intervision supposedly making a comeback, it might seem like a conflict of interest.

I guess we'll see what happens when the results come in.
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
I'm predicting a Sweden, Russia, Belgium top 3 (not necessarily in that order!). Although I'm hoping Norway may still sneak up and win it
Snufkin
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Genesis2703)
Do remember Azerbaijan with its "excellent" human rights record hosted in 2012. Pretty sure they knocked down loads and loads of peoples homes to built Baku Crystal Hall. So yeah if Azerbaijan can host, so can Russia
Azerbaijan wasn't involved in a land war in Europe though.
talentedlobster
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
I suppose there's some small chance that the Russian government could refuse permission to host Eurovision if their act wins it this year. The TV networks would likely want to go ahead but with Intervision supposedly making a comeback, it might seem like a conflict of interest.

I guess we'll see what happens when the results come in.
I highly doubt that Russia would turn down hosting Eurovision, but if they do it would be likely that we'd see a London 2016, seeing as in the past when the winners failed to host it has traditionally been the UK that has picked up the burden.
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Azerbaijan wasn't involved in a land war in Europe though.
This might sound silly, but the main objection most people have with Russia (in regards to eurovision) is lgbt rights. Out of people i've spoken to (and seen on the official FB Page) virtually none of them mentioned the wars Russia has been involved in. They only seem to care for the fact Russia hates gays :P

I do agree that Russia is a bit worse than Azerbaijan in that regard, but in my opinion if Russia wins they should host it. I'd rather it stayed about the music instead of all this politics, and anyway if anything Russia hosting would be a brilliant reason to get some activism going in Russia to help change it for the better
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
3 HOURS TO GO!
hussnainz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Russian Grannies!!!
True winners of Eurovision 2012

Posted from TSR Mobile
hussnainz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No offence to Loreen!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.61%
No - but I will (4)
3.42%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.27%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (64)
54.7%

Watched Threads