Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Your ancestors allowed this to happen how can you blame people that were invited to come and live? People like this are all a bunch of White English elitists who blame people of colour for everything.
    No, we blame the government and Leftist traitor trash. The foreigners are just pawns of the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    MY ANCESTORS? My friend, I am half Italian, I assure that my ancestors did no such thing. My papa belongs to this minority group, moved here in the early 1980's and it's been his home ever since. I am not blaming anyone and i'm disgusted by the accusation. Colour has nothing to with this either. I live in a town where there is an infestation of recently emmigrated benefit scrounging Polish people-they are white.
    I actually don't care who you are, where you are from, whether you are black, white or ****ing purple. If you pay tax and behave, I love you and wish you peace. It's the people who have more recently emigrated for the sole purpose of the benefit system that piss me off.
    My close friend is half-Italian. Which part of Italy are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProudEnglishman)
    My close friend is half-Italian. Which part of Italy are you from?
    Only Italian by blood i'm afraid. Born and raised in Birmingham. Family are from Naples though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Generally education can, but it must be accompanied by a cessation of ‘the changing face of Britain’, a level playing field for minorities, change in social identities/enhanced secularity (or else Islamists being asked/made to leave) and related enhanced community integration, and a reduction in related hostilities, and will take time e.g. a few generations
    General education is essential, of course. I think integrating parts of black history and the history of all the countries that used to make up Britain's Empire, before colonisation, would make us more concerned.
    When you say the "cessation of the changing face of Britain", do you mean the cessation of the term or of the phenomenon? If it's the latter, I'm afraid (glad actually) that it cannot be prevented
    Again, "a level playing field for minorities": between minorities or minorities and white people?
    Change in social identities? Again, for us minorities? We need to tone our attitude down because it bothers you?

I'm not sure enhanced secularity is the solution: I'm half French and France is a staunch secular state and I know the problems it can cause (aka, ostracising Muslims).

And yes, it will take time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    General education is essential, of course. I think integrating parts of black history and the history of all the countries that used to make up Britain's Empire, before colonisation, would make us more concerned.
    When you say the "cessation of the changing face of Britain", do you mean the cessation of the term or of the phenomenon? If it's the latter, I'm afraid (glad actually) that it cannot be prevented
    Again, "a level playing field for minorities": between minorities or minorities and white people?
    Change in social identities? Again, for us minorities? We need to tone our attitude down because it bothers you?

I'm not sure enhanced secularity is the solution: I'm half French and France is a staunch secular state and I know the problems it can cause (aka, ostracising Muslims).

And yes, it will take time
    Thank god I don't live in France,I wouldn't be able to hack it,like seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Thank god I don't live in France,I wouldn't be able to hack it,like seriously.
    Indeed. Consider yourself lucky!
    In the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo attack, I can sense a ****storm brewing.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Consider yourself lucky!
    In the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo attack, I can sense a ****storm brewing.
    I would probably have been a victim of much more violent racial abuse over there than I ever will in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them OP. They're probably just lowlives, and Arab/white girls are hawt anyway. 0 worries.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably have been a victim of much more violent racial abuse over there than I ever will in the UK
    It's definitely safe to say yes, you would have.
    Although mixed people are idolised just like anywhere else.
    I'd say that being arab in France is tougher than being black. And that's coming from somebody who's half black.

ReputationRep:
    So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
    so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?
    When I was very small I thought I was British. I thought Britain was really cool and I was obsessed with King Arthur.

But it was only as I got older that people started to point out my differences or single me out.
    I have to admit though that it was a minority. But it didn't feel like a minority. Mainly due to the amount of people that were willing to "look the other way". But in the grand scheme of things this wasn't every day. But I think the negative experiences are louder memories then the good. Kinda like how you always remember the planes that crash and not the ones that land.

But I'm not gonna lie I don't really feel British. I feel like I fit in more with just general pan-foreign people than native British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    When I was very small I thought I was British. I thought Britain was really cool and I was obsessed with King Arthur.

But it was only as I got older that people started to point out my differences or single me out.
    I have to admit though that it was a minority. But it didn't feel like a minority. Mainly due to the amount of people that were willing to "look the other way". But in the grand scheme of things this wasn't every day. But I think the negative experiences are louder memories then the good. Kinda like how you always remember the planes that crash and not the ones that land.

But I'm not gonna lie I don't really feel British. I feel like I fit in more with just general pan-foreign people than native British.
    I more or less feel the same and it doesn't help when you experience nonsense like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I'm sorry but White people that think like this need to get over themselves
    I need to get over myself because I want to live in a cohesive society in my own country/hometown? Ok mate :borat:

Non-Whites who are born here have as much right to live here has the White-British population
    They do indeed, at law at least

They invited our parents/grandparents/ancestors to come here you can't now complain after decades that there is too many foreigners
    I’m sorry, who do you mean by ‘they’? A bunch of self-serving/myopic ivory tower liberal elite puppet-politicians (global capitalist skivvies) from history? Oh, well I guess that’s ok then

Spoiler:
    Show
    The problem isn’t even that there are too many foreigners, it is the rate, type, and concentration of immigration vs. integration. Islam aside, I don’t have a particular problem with immigration if we can accommodate people and they integrate well, but both require adjustments to be made over time

He has a point, that no matter how much you can try to fit it will never work. I've accepted this along time ago
    Depends what you mean by ‘fit in’. I’ve yet to meet someone who feels they don’t fit into UK society, and I’ve had friends from all over the world, many of them a lot less Westernised than yourself

I don't really associate with 'natives of this land'
    You readily associate with me, and I am actually relatively right wing compared to your average white Brit, let alone your average Londoner!

I just feel like if I did it may never last and imagine if his parents are never accepting, especially if they hear the term 'syrian', 'middle eastern'
    Some parents are bound to be narrow minded, or at least have some reservations, but less so if you’re not Muslim/male, lettuce be cereal. My parents are far more liberal than I, and very welcoming/accepting, indeed my mum is the type to find someone from another culture a source of fascination, and did bellydancing herself for a few years

You will have more in common with say a white girl from Europe, be it North, East, South or west European than with a girl with exotic features who has lavantine heritage
    More genetically in common, for sure. Owt else is a supposition

I've had instances in the past where I've actually gotten to know some british guys like yourself and they just don't get my other exotic side and things soon become weird and it's like, a cultural clash and we just end up staying friends instead of ever attempting to take things forward and in one case, the guy actually admitted that I would never work out if he dated a girl from that region of the world anyway (this guy was young and very well educated, yet his parents would never be accepting of outsiders)
    Young + parents = your answer. An older, mature, and more worldly, guy would be less likely to see it as a problem

I share the same lifestyle as your average native of the land,same religion,I drink,i party,I don't dress up head to toe but I still don't feel british enough or fully accepted
    By whom/what standard?- did you read my bullets on Britishness?

i still don't feel 100% british
    You have mixed heritage so that’s unsurprising. Maybe it’s ok not to feel 100% British. Maybe you should be chuffed you have such an interesting background

(Original post by al_94)
    how can you blame people that were invited to come and live?
    Who blames them?

(Original post by Dani California)
    It's the people who have more recently emigrated for the sole purpose of the benefit system that piss me off
    I would encourage you to look into the economics of immigration

Spoiler:
    Show
    Recent immigrants to Britain are better educated, pay more taxes and draw less state benefits than native Britons. “Immigrants from the Central and East European ‘accession’ countries (the ‘A10’) contributed 12% more than they received”. Source: UCL

General education is essential, of course. I think integrating parts of black history and the history of all the countries that used to make up Britain's Empire, before colonisation, would make us more concerned
    More concerned? I’m not sure that would stop xenophobia, or necessarily be less divisive, although I agree that perhaps it should be approached differently..

Spoiler:
    Show

If it's the latter, I'm afraid (glad actually) that it cannot be prevented
    It’s the later, and it can in the sense that we can put an end to mass immigration, if not the high birth rate among certain immigrant groups :rolleyes: We can encourage people to return to lands to which they, their value systems/doctrines/'laws', are 'better suited' however

Yes

Change in social identities? Again, for us minorities?
    Yes. The reason inter-civilisational mixing has caused major friction throughout history is identity vs. the reason it has worked out over the very long term in the end, in some cases, is the evolution of identity

We need to tone our attitude down because it bothers you?
    What attitude?

I'm not sure enhanced secularity is the solution
    It’s not a solution, it’s la mode du jour in many advanced (enlightened/scientific/liberal) societies, ergo, a near inevitability

I'm half French and France is a staunch secular state and I know the problems it can cause (aka, ostracising Muslims)
    What I meant is Muslims becoming more moderate, and more concerned with worldly realities e.g. their fellow man (be he a kafir or not). In terms of the literal definition of secularism all this means is the Government not bending over to/for Islam, although I would go further than that personally

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Recent immigrants to Britain are better educated, pay more taxes and draw less state benefits than native Britons. “Immigrants from the Central and East European ‘accession’ countries (the ‘A10’) contributed 12% more than they received”. Source: UCL

In theory that's wonderful, but I come from a crummy town in the midlands, and it's shocking how many people here don't work. And yes, many, many of them are emigrants. However, that statistic is promising. And just for the record, my hatred of benefit scoungers extends to everyone, not just emigrants.

ReputationRep:
    I need to get over myself because I want to live in a cohesive society in my own country/hometown? Ok mate :borat:

They do indeed, at law at least

I’m sorry, who do you mean by ‘they’? A bunch of self-serving/myopic ivory tower liberal elite puppet-politicians (global capitalist skivvies) from history? Oh, well I guess that’s ok then

Spoiler:
    Show
    The problem isn’t even that there are too many foreigners, it is the rate, type, and concentration of immigration vs. integration. Islam aside, I don’t have a particular problem with immigration if we can accommodate people and they integrate well, but both require adjustments to be made over time

Depends what you mean by ‘fit in’. I’ve yet to meet someone who feels they don’t fit into UK society, and I’ve had friends from all over the world, many of them a lot less Westernised than yourself

You readily associate with me, and I am actually relatively right wing compared to your average white Brit, let alone your average Londoner!

Some parents are bound to be narrow minded, or at least have some reservations, but less so if you’re not Muslim/male, lettuce be cereal. My parents are far more liberal than I, and very welcoming/accepting, indeed my mum is the type to find someone from another culture a source of fascination, and did bellydancing herself for a few years

More genetically in common, for sure. Owt else is a supposition

Young + parents = your answer. An older, mature, and more worldly, guy would be less likely to see it as a problem

By whom/what standard?- did you read my bullets on Britishness?

You have mixed heritage so that’s unsurprising. Maybe it’s ok not to feel 100% British. Maybe you should be chuffed you have such an interesting background

Who blames them?

Spoiler:
    Show

More concerned? I’m not sure that would stop xenophobia, or necessarily be less divisive, although I agree that perhaps it should be approached differently..

Spoiler:
    Show

It’s the later, and it can in the sense that we can put an end to mass immigration, if not the massive birth rate among certain immigrant groups :rolleyes: We can encourage people to return to lands to which they are better suited however

Yes

Yes. The reason inter-civilisational mixing has caused major friction throughout history is identity vs. the reason it has worked out over the very long term in the end, in some cases, is the evolution of identity

What attitude?

It’s not a solution, it’s la mode du jour in many advanced (enlightened/scientific/liberal) societies, ergo, a near inevitability

What I meant is Muslims becoming more moderate, and more concerned with worldly realities e.g. their fellow man (be he a kafir or not). In terms of the literal definition of secularism all this means is the Government not bending over to/for Islam, although I would go further than that personally
    I associate with you because we have a genuine connection and I click with you,you accept me,if I sensed you were hesitant about my background I would be very sad and upset because you matter a lot to me,that can't be said for 99.9% of white Brits out there. That's one of the reasons I was always afraid to tell you my heritage in detail.

Not just in terms of genetics but all Europeans are similar in one way our another,just somehow connected.
    Ive yet to see a successful arab-English relationship tbh,it never really works out because of the culture clash.

I know what your parents are like,particularly your mother but in general im sure your parents would be much more happier if you brought back an English girl home or European rather than this immigrant
    That being said,I would love to talk to your mother about belly dancing for hours and you know how I feel about meeting your parents
    I know,but wouldn't you agree that there may be things from my culture you will never understand or agree with? Because it's unfamiliar in your culture etc
    Like when I told you about the circumsicion practice and giving gifts and money,that may have been something completely new to you and weddings aren't conducted in the simple way Brits do it,usually lots of practices are involved,just the whole culture is different...
    Yes I have read your bullet points and I do meet the standards for all of them but I still will never feel 100% accepted. And I would like to feel 100% british,not just for me but for you too,it's better to be on the same page

ReputationRep:
    I associate with you because we have a genuine connection and I click with you,you accept me,if I sensed you were hesitant about my background I would be very sad and upset because you matter a lot to me,that can't be said for 99.9% of white Brits out there. That's one of the reasons I was always afraid to tell you my heritage in detail.

Not just in terms of genetics but all Europeans are similar in one way our another,just somehow connected.
    Ive yet to see a successful arab-English relationship tbh,it never really works out because of the culture clash.

I know what your parents are like,particularly your mother but in general im sure your parents would be much more happier if you brought back an English girl home or European rather than this immigrant
    That being said,I would love to talk to your mother about belly dancing for hours and you know how I feel about meeting your parents
    I know,but wouldn't you agree that there may be things from my culture you will never understand or agree with? Because it's unfamiliar in your culture etc
    Like when I told you about the circumsicion practice and giving gifts and money,that may have been something completely new to you and weddings aren't conducted in the simple way Brits do it,usually lots of practices are involved,just the whole culture is different...
    Yes I have read your bullet points and I do meet the standards for all of them but I still will never feel 100% accepted. And I would like to feel 100% british,not just for me but for you too,it's better to be on the same page
    Also, the Coptic faith does not permit one to marry a non-Oriental Orthodox individual :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Your ancestors allowed this to happen how can you blame people that were invited to come and live? People like this are all a bunch of White English elitists who blame people of colour for everything.
    So why do you stay here? Your racist accusation of England being spearheaded by White Engrisch elitists, they founded this country and its values. Hence why move to a country with these long standing views, if you do, don't complain about it. Makes sense no?

Anyways I thought everything is always the Americans fault by default?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBBOOM)
    So why do you stay here? Your racist accusation of England being spearheaded by White Engrisch elitists, they founded this country and its values. Hence why move to a country with these long standing views, if you do, don't complain about it. Makes sense no?

Anyways I thought everything is always the Americans fault by default?
    I aint going nowhere. How dare you accuse me of being racist. Why don't you tell your "white" people to leave America for the Native Indians and leave Australia for the indigenous Australians and leave South Africa for the indigenous Africans before you question my right to live in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I aint going nowhere. How dare you accuse me of being racist. Why don't you tell your "white" people to leave America for the Native Indians and leave Australia for the indigenous Australians and leave South Africa for the indigenous Africans before you question my right to live in the UK.
    You just called all english people white supremacists. I'll call you a racist.

I'm not white.

You didn't answer my question, why will you not go somewhere else if you hate it so much here and get blamed for everything by white supremacists? It is their country and traditions to keep and practise how they please, not for anyone to arrive and start changing them because they feel offended.

Why should white people leave America? They conquered it, as has much of the land of many peoples throughout history you genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Will all the Arabs leave North Africa and return to the Middle East too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBBOOM)
    You just called all english people white supremacists. I'll call you a racist.

I'm not white.

You didn't answer my question, why will you not go somewhere else if you hate it so much here and get blamed for everything by white supremacists? It is their country and traditions to keep and practise how they please, not for anyone to arrive and start changing them because they feel offended.

Why should white people leave America? They conquered it, as has much of the land of many peoples throughout history you genius.
    I never said all English people are White supremacists I don't know what you've been smoking. I'll say again how dare you question me and my right to live in my country of birth. You are an ignorant person you need help you can't tell me to leave the UK because I'm not indigenous but say White people can live anywhere because they "conquered" it which is racist in itself because the whites of today never conquered anything so basically you're saying they have a birth right because of their skin colour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.