Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which party do you plan to vote for in the General Election? Jan-Feb opinion poll Watch

• View Poll Results: Which party are you planning to vote for?
    Conservative
    22.74%
    Labour
    23.58%
    Liberal Democrats
    5.89%
    UKIP
    10.53%
    SNP
    3.16%
    Sinn Féin
    1.05%
    Green Party
    24.63%
    Plaid Cymru
    0.42%
    SDLP
    0.63%
    DUP
    0.84%
    Independent
    0.63%
    Alliance
    0.21%
    Respect
    0.42%
    Other (please state in a post)
    0.84%
    Not voting
    4.42%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    The press has completely taken that policy out of context. Basically the principle is that it is not for the government to decide whether or not something is a terrorist group. In pretty much every civil war, the group in power labels the opposing group terrorists. "Terrorist" is a pretty ambiguous term.

The policies that the press have been referring to are here so you can read them for yourself: http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/pd.html
    It's PD440-PD445. The part that has been particularly criticised is PD443. I honestly can't see what the issue is with those policies, they seem perfectly logical and fair to me. The press has just put their own spin on it because the press is owned by corporations and is therefore immensely right-winged so they don't like the Green Party.
    Okay thanks for the information.., I'm sorry if you felt my previous post was a little misguided or potentially offensive. I'm quite right winged and I still don't agree with the policy... but agreed about the press blowing it out of proportion

ReputationRep:
    UKIP. Why? I want Britain to be great again. I have never experienced a Great Britain, just Britain. UKIP seem to be the only party that are truly patriotic without being too controversial. I want a Great Britain that controls her own borders, laws, and economy: UKIP are the way to go for me personally. The experiment of the EU is slowly failing and Euro-skepticism is at an all time high. I truly don't see why there is such a dark, omniscient atmosphere when anyone mentions UKIP. It is my opinion that UKIP can do great things for Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Conservatives are awful labour not much better someday I wont have to be ruled by London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pretty Flacko)
    UKIP. Why? I want Britain to be great again. I have never experienced a Great Britain, just Britain. UKIP seem to be the only party that are truly patriotic without being too controversial. I want a Great Britain that controls her own borders, laws, and economy: UKIP are the way to go for me personally. The experiment of the EU is slowly failing and Euro-skepticism is at an all time high. I truly don't see why there is such a dark, omniscient atmosphere when anyone mentions UKIP. It is my opinion that UKIP can do great things for Britain.
    Facism man its just not good

ReputationRep:
    Which are the pro-EU parties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnnabelle)
    Which are the pro-EU parties?
    officially there are four, though the Tories position is a bit less clear.

Labour - pro EU, relatively little interest in even small reforms to it, would exempt NHS from TTIP but otherwise support it.

Lib Dems - pro EU, some reforms, but not many, not sure where they stand on TTIP.

Greens - pro EU, lots of reforms to enhance democracy & accountability as well as to make it less focused on neo-liberal economics, oppose TTIP entirely.

Conservatives - policy is slightly pro EU but with lots of reforms to give the UK "more autonomy" on some issues, support TTIP, oppose ECHR and European Human Rights Act & European Arrest Warrant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    officially there are four, though the Tories position is a bit less clear.

Labour - pro EU, relatively little interest in even small reforms to it, would exempt NHS from TTIP but otherwise support it.

Lib Dems - pro EU, some reforms, but not many, not sure where they stand on TTIP.

Greens - pro EU, lots of reforms to enhance democracy & accountability as well as to make it less focused on neo-liberal economics, oppose TTIP entirely.

Conservatives - policy is slightly pro EU but with lots of reforms to give the UK "more autonomy" on some issues, support TTIP, oppose ECHR and European Human Rights Act & European Arrest Warrant.

Thank you! What is TTIP stand for?

ReputationRep:
    EU-US free trade treaty.

ReputationRep:
    Basically allows American firms to buy our NHS.

ReputationRep:
    Trans-Atlantic Trade & Investment Partnership

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    EU-US free trade treaty.
    Thank you! I really want to make a fully informed decision come May!

ReputationRep:
    Does TTIP actually have any benefits for the EU then ?

ReputationRep:
    Does TTIP actually have any benefits for the EU then ?
    Yes, that article is somewhat biased.

For starters, the stuff that allows US companies to bid for contracts (which we already tender to the EU) works both ways in that our businesses can bid for US contracts. US is a large food producer which means that food prices will fall potentially. Then for the UK you've got the fact that US-UK foreign investment is the highest partnership in the world at around $300bn each plus we have a bilateral trade each year of around $200bn.

Economically it's expected to be of benefit, the UK stands to benefit more than most.

ReputationRep:
    Labour for me. The Tories won't make any changes to their current policies and with unemployment rising....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadForza)
    Labour for me. The Tories won't make any changes to their current policies and with unemployment rising....
    Can you provide this evidence for unemployment rising.

In 2014 we saw unemployment fall by over 1% which is one of the larger drops on record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadForza)
    Interesting how you came to that conclusion, considering unemployment is now below 2 million.

ReputationRep:
    Tory through and through - Britain has gone from strength to strength since 2010, and I'm not about to throw that all away, especially considering that the SNP want to hop into bed with Labour, who will practically hand them over £180bn to waste on Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    If I was of voting age (dammit) I would vote UKIP. Despite the fact that loads of people view that party as a negative, I think some of their policies are actually half decent. I certainly agree that we should leave the EU for a start.

ReputationRep:
    I really do hope that everyone that has said they will vote green votes green as this will just allow the Conservatives to win a majority - long may we have a conservative government! We have got stronger and stronger since 2010 and now we need to finish the job - keep Britain blue on the 7th May!

ReputationRep:
    Are people seriously saying Green? Have you seen some of their policies? They want to make being affiliated with groups like ISIS legal because it being illegal inhibits the right of freedom of speech.... Of course they won't get in but voting for them in protest is ridiculous, it means you condone things like that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.