Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TardigradeFan)
    Does anyone have a definitive list of numbers of applications to each College? Thanks in advance
    Here:
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/...ssions2013-14/

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAB
    AS (hoping for): AAA-ABB
    Course: History/Archaeology

I haven't even considered Durham yet but I'll join the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I'm applying for Classical Civilisation/Ancient History, so I may see you if you get to Durham. I got A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAA and am currently studying Classical Civilisation, History and Food Technology at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know how far Bulter is from the centre? I get the impression that it is quite 'isolated' is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 90780)
    Do you guys know how far Bulter is from the centre? I get the impression that it is quite 'isolated' is this true?
    It's about a ten minute walk, but there is a park and ride bus just outside of Butler, which costs £1 return to the centre. Your just a little further up the road from the other hill colleges, so it's not isolated at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebowey)
    It's about a ten minute walk, but there is a park and ride bus just outside of Butler, which costs £1 return to the centre. Your just a little further up the road from the other hill colleges, so it's not isolated at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, what is the nightlife like in Bulter?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    Applying for either Physics or Natsci for 2016 entry
    GCSE:A*A*A*A*A*A*A*ABBC
    AS: History A, Physics A, Chemistry A, Maths A
    AS (done in year 13) predicted: Further Maths A
    A2 predicted: Chemistry A*, Maths A*, Physics A, EP B.

Anyone know if you can get admissions statistics for colleges by subject? e.g. % of successful applications to University college for Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 90780)
    I saw it on the September open day, so I can answer this one.
    Yes it is the furthest college out, but in Durham that really isn't saying much. Durham is a tiny town, it only takes 40 mins to walk form one side to the other so everywhere is close to everywhere else. I'm used to walking and cycling so it wouldn't bother me but if you hate walking Butler is literally right next to the park and ride so you can catch a Bus any time.

It's not terribly isolated either, collingwood and Grey are a 5 minute walk away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comandolf)
    I saw it on the September open day, so I can answer this one.
    Yes it is the furthest college out, but in Durham that really isn't saying much. Durham is a tiny town, it only takes 40 mins to walk form one side to the other so everywhere is close to everywhere else. I'm used to walking and cycling so it wouldn't bother me but if you hate walking Butler is literally right next to the park and ride so you can catch a Bus any time.

It's not terribly isolated either, collingwood and Grey are a 5 minute walk away.
    Ah okay, do you know what the nightlife is like? How are the facilities too? Also, I am applying for politics so do you know how far it is the building?

ReputationRep:
    I submitted my application on Friday. I saw on the Durham website that you can email them and ask for your college preference to be changed (I want to change my preference from Castle to Hatfield). Durham have not yet sent an acknowledgement email and haven't responded to any of my emails asking to change my college preference. Should I be worried? I really want to change my preference to Hatfield as Castle is so oversubscribed and I don't want to risk re-allocation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I submitted my application on Friday. I saw on the Durham website that you can email them and ask for your college preference to be changed (I want to change my preference from Castle to Hatfield). Durham have not yet sent an acknowledgement email and haven't responded to any of my emails asking to change my college preference. Should I be worried? I really want to change my preference to Hatfield as Castle is so oversubscribed and I don't want to risk re-allocation.
    When did you send your email to them? I wouldn't worry too much yet, they probably haven't seen it hmm when I had to cancel my open day booking because we were moving my brother into uni that day they took a few days to get back to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 90780)
    Ah okay, do you know what the nightlife is like? How are the facilities too? Also, I am applying for politics so do you know how far it is the building?
    Can't say I know anything about politics, (I'm a physicist you see) but you should be able to find out where our subject is taught from the university website.
    As for the night life, Butler has a very nice bar and is minutes from collingwood and grey, both of which have their own bars, but apart from that there is nothing at that end if town. Its a ten minute walk before you meet the first actual Pub and you wont find any clubs (if Durham even has clubs) until you reach the centre of town. about a 20-25 minute walk. However Butler is right next to the park and ride, so you could just get buses to and from the areas with the "night life" you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    Just sent off my UCAS! Applying for English at University College ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!!!

Kanemyass here.

I got D D E E E and a distinction in shampooing.

Is this too good for durham, or should I look at Basingstoke University or Oxford??
    Thanks from Kanemyass

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

Applying for Politics at Collingwood.

GCSEs: 4A*s 6As 1B

AS: 4As (Gov&Politics, English Lit, Geography, History)

Predictions: 3A*s (dropped history)

Did everyone do a separate personal statement for Durham? I am slightly worried about the fact I didn't now. I am also concerned my GCSEs aren't amazing. But fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owenj4)
    Hi everyone.

Applying for Politics at Collingwood.

GCSEs: 4A*s 6As 1B

AS: 4As (Gov&Politics, English Lit, Geography, History)

Predictions: 3A*s (dropped history)

Did everyone do a separate personal statement for Durham? I am slightly worried about the fact I didn't now. I am also concerned my GCSEs aren't amazing. But fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, I didn't either. Don't think it's really necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Padc)
    Nah, I didn't either. Don't think it's really necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah! Another Politics applicant! Your GCSEs are really good so I wouldn't worry about them. I've applied for Politics at Hatfield.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's: Awful, one A, a few B's, a few C's and a D (however, everyone in that class got a D).
    AS Results: AABC in Maths, Further Maths, Psychology and Chemistry. Dropped Chemistry.
    A2 Predictions: A*AB in Maths, Further Maths and Psychology (hoping to get psychology moved up).
    Subject: BSc Maths.

Durham is my if-it-all-goes-very-well option. I'm also applying to Nottingham, QUB (maybe Leicester and Liverpool Hope, the latter as an if-it-all-goes-horribly-wrong option). Hoping to send my application off next week. The only issue with Durham is that I've not had the chance to visit, so I'm not sure what the colleges are like (and so I've put no preference on my UCAS form). Any advice?

(Original post by Craig1998)
    GCSE's: Awful, one A, a few B's, a few C's and a D (however, everyone in that class got a D).
    AS Results: AABC in Maths, Further Maths, Psychology and Chemistry. Dropped Chemistry.
    A2 Predictions: A*AB in Maths, Further Maths and Psychology (hoping to get psychology moved up).
    Subject: BSc Maths.

Durham is my if-it-all-goes-very-well option. I'm also applying to Nottingham, QUB (maybe Leicester and Liverpool Hope, the latter as an if-it-all-goes-horribly-wrong option). Hoping to send my application off next week. The only issue with Durham is that I've not had the chance to visit, so I'm not sure what the colleges are like (and so I've put no preference on my UCAS form). Any advice?
    I've done the same in applying there. talk to people who go/have visited, look at them online, there's a table with information about them you can look at too. People get relocated anyway so it doesn't matter too much I don't think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Ah! Another Politics applicant! Your GCSEs are really good so I wouldn't worry about them. I've applied for Politics at Hatfield.
    Good luck with your application! Is Durham your top choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.