Turn on thread page Beta
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Madhutty)
    This is probably the easiest maths module; as long as we don't get an awful paper like June14 we'll be fine.
    Trust me, that was horrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFahima)
    Trust me, that was horrible
    2i and 2ii. How do I know whether I do weight-tension or the other way round.

June 2011

Thanks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Super199)

June 2011

Thanks
    For Q2) i) You're going to be focusing on P as we don't have the weight of Q. So tension would be opposite to mg. As mg is pulling down on the string which creates an upward tension in the string. So if you do f = ma and do upwards as positive it would be T - mg = ma. But if you did downwards as positive it would me mg - T = m*-a (acceleration of p is upwards).

And the same for ii.

Hope I made sense!

ReputationRep:

June 2011

Thanks
    Well - which ever particle is lowering obviously has greater Weight. Therefore, the particle which moves towards the ground is T-W=ma.

If the particle is moving upwards, the Tension is greater, therefore the equation is W-T=ma.

Just think, what force is greater on either side? If W is greater, think -W. If it's T, think -T.

Does this help?

ReputationRep:
    ugh im so nervous about this exam. ive put so much effort into it but a single error could cost me so many marks

ReputationRep:
    For Q2) i) You're going to be focusing on P as we don't have the weight of Q. So tension would be opposite to mg. As mg is pulling down on the string which creates an upward tension in the string. So if you do f = ma and do upwards as positive it would be T - mg = ma. But if you did downwards as positive it would me mg - T = m*-a (acceleration of p is upwards).

And the same for ii.

Hope I made sense!
    (Original post by AlfieH)
    Well - which ever particle is lowering obviously has greater Weight. Therefore, the particle which moves towards the ground is T-W=ma.

If the particle is moving upwards, the Tension is greater, therefore the equation is W-T=ma.

Just think, what force is greater on either side? If W is greater, think -W. If it's T, think -T.

Does this help?
    mm I don't fully get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r73j4prNAug

Check 6:31 on this video. What is the difference between what the question from the exam paper and what he is showing?

ReputationRep:
    mm I don't fully get it.

Check 6:31 on this video. What is the difference between what the question from the exam paper and what he is showing?
    Edit: I think I may have interpreted the question wrong. I was looking at Q ffs. haha never mind.

Thanks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    mm I don't fully get it.

He's showing the same thing

Oh okay. Glad you've got it!

Good Luck for the exam. I'm going to bed in a bit!

Hopefully we'll be fine. And try to remember the questions so we can have a unofficial mark scheme tomorrow! (no pressure though!)

Good Night.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone!

ReputationRep:
    He's showing the same thing

Oh okay. Glad you've got it!

Good Luck for the exam. I'm going to bed in a bit!

Hopefully we'll be fine. And try to remember the questions so we can have a unofficial mark scheme tomorrow! (no pressure though!)

Good Night.
    I think we should assign questions to make sure they're all remembered, theirs only 7 so we won't need more than 7 people and if we double up it only takes like 3

I'll remember questions 1 and 2
    Alternatively some don just remembers them all or we just take faith in the idea we'll recall them all as a collective

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lyricalvibe)
    I think we should assign questions to make sure they're all remembered, theirs only 7 so we won't need more than 7 people and if we double up it only takes like 3

I'll remember questions 1 and 2
    Alternatively some don just remembers them all or we just take faith in the idea we'll recall them all as a collective

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hehe. Smooth. I'll try to get the paper (is that allowed?)

I'll remember 3,4,

chloe-jessica 5,6?

Super199 7?

What say guys?

I'll remember 3,4,

chloe-jessica 5,6?

Super199 7?

What say guys?
    Sounds good :yy:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by chloe-jessica)
    Cheers! Good luck!

Cheers! Good luck!
    You too!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to do question 7 on the June 2014 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'll remember 3,4,

chloe-jessica 5,6?

Super199 7?

What say guys?
    Gotta make sure we get em right now aswell
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gotta make sure we get em right now aswell
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No promises :lol: I'll at least remember the question so if I screw up, you guys can figure it out afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    No promises :lol: I'll at least remember the question so if I screw up, you guys can figure it out afterwards!
    Now, I'm scared i may not have enough spare time to look over answers and remember questions
    you seem to be one of the most prepared on the thread, doubt you'll mess up
    Gotta get that ums tho :rolleyes: what's it usually for 90-100?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now, I'm scared i may not have enough spare time to look over answers and remember questions
    you seem to one of the most prepared on thread, doubt you'll mess up
    Gotta get that ums tho :rolleyes: what's it usually for 90-100?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't feel prepared haha! I think my problem is that sometimes I overthink the questions if that makes sense and then confuse myself with physics concepts. Plus I always make careless mistakes.
    Since 2007, average for an A has been 56, 90 is 64, 100 is 70.75.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel prepared haha! I think my problem is that sometimes I overthink the questions if that makes sense and then confuse myself with physics concepts. Plus I always make careless mistakes.
    Since 2007, average for an A has been 56, 90 is 64, 100 is 70.75.
    Hey what A-levels are you taking??
    And what maths modules?

P.s. I'll try remember the answers too probably; if there's too much time left and I cba to check anymore I just start saving answers onto my calculator memory :P

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.