Turn on thread page Beta

Should we scrap the monarchy? watch

• View Poll Results: Should the monarchy be abolished once The Queen dies?
    Of course. I'm a diehard republican.
    41.07%
    No - they are doing no harm.
    47.34%
    I'm undecided.
    6.90%
    What?
    4.70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarrenBCFC)
    If there was no royal family they will be used for nothing and can be resold at a very high value
    This is a complete and total lie.

all we need then is a mansion tax to help the masses in the country.
    'The masses'? Listen to yourself.

Other then merchandise sales through royal babies and royal tourism they offer nothing time they went. They always want to be in the public eye and be secretive at the same time and react with anger if anything is said against them.
    :rolleyes: they do the same job as the German and Italian presidents. Do you consider them a big swindle, too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    This is a complete and total lie.

'The masses'? Listen to yourself.

:rolleyes: they do the same job as the German and Italian presidents. Do you consider them a big swindle, too?
    They are tax evaders for however many years and should be thrown out of the country like murdoch- if we was to abolish the royal family and sell the buildings they would have a high resale value because they cost a lot of money to buy their would be a bidding war lets not forget that there will be many rich royal family lovers who will bid on them - they have no use they sit in the palace all day or go on holiday what a life. If there was a mansion tax the palaces and buildings will be sold for well over £2M and thats a low estimate wealth distribution and help people who are worthy of it not people who are born into the shires like the royal family

ReputationRep:
    No, they are doing no harm, a great deal of good and the alternative is worse.

I struggle to respect people who want to destroy our heritage out of puerile, self-righteous, envious, hateful and totally meaningless notions of 'equality' and 'social justice'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10340682.html
    150 million pound upgrade to palace paid by tax
    6 million year to run the buildings
    So that is 156Million out and i doubt she earns enough to exceed that in tax
    No, she dyes not earn enough to exceed that in tax because she doesn't earn s penny, HOWEVER, her estate pays that, PLUS an extra nearly £100m, into the exchequer per year.

Again, you might want to check your facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    No, she dyes not earn enough to exceed that in tax because she doesn't earn s penny, HOWEVER, her estate pays that, PLUS an extra nearly £100m, into the exchequer per year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How can she pay in money she doesn't have should of never had a royal family to start with I suppose you think she has paid all her backlogs in tax from the 40's,50's,60's,70's,80's aswell I say bull**** who paid for her estate in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    They are tax evaders for however many years
    No, they weren't.

and should be thrown out of the country like murdoch- if we was to abolish the royal family and sell the buildings they would have a high resale value because they cost a lot of money to buy their would be a bidding war lets not forget that there will be many rich royal family lovers who will bid on them - they have no use they sit in the palace all day or go on holiday what a life. If there was a mansion tax the palaces and buildings will be sold for well over £2M and thats a low estimate wealth distribution and help people who are worthy of it not people who are born into the shires like the royal family
    So instead of addressing my point that we could do no such thing, you simply parrot the same stuff? Boring.

ReputationRep:
    No, they weren't.

So instead of addressing my point that we could do no such thing, you simply parrot the same stuff? Boring.
    There is a diffence between monarchies and presidents at least they pay tax to their countries, they serve no purpose it is a publicity stunt.

ReputationRep:
    There is a diffence between monarchies and presidents at least they pay tax to their countries, they serve no purpose it is a publicity stunt.
    The Queen pays tax.

And what does the German President do that the British Queen does not? Come on, if it's so obvious, it should be easy for you to demonstrate

ReputationRep:
    The Queen pays tax.

And what does the German President do that the British Queen does not? Come on, if it's so obvious, it should be easy for you to demonstrate
    Listens to the people and governs the country?

ReputationRep:
    Listens to the people and governs the country?
    You...don't actually know anything about the German president, do you?

ReputationRep:
    Democracy is overrated. God save the queen

ReputationRep:
    I stopped replying ages ago gladders as posters weren't responding to simple facts about the crown estate and symbolism and just repeating their beliefs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You...don't actually know anything about the German president, do you?
    Give me a president over a royal family every day of the week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I stopped replying ages ago gladders as posters weren't responding to simple facts about the crown estate and symbolism and just repeating their beliefs
    Huh? When? I may have not addressed them as not directed at me. Care to point me to where they are?

Edit: beg your pardon Paul, I thought you meant I was ignoring your posts! Carry on!

ReputationRep:
    Give me a president over a royal family every day of the week
    That's not an argument. You're free to move to Germany whenever you wish.

ReputationRep:
    That's not an argument. You're free to move to Germany whenever you wish.
    Why ? I said my opinion and if you do not like it you know where to go instead of volunteering me to go to Germany.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Anyone who says otherwise should stay in the 19th century where they belong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of which only 15% goes to the government

ReputationRep:
    Why ? I said my opinion and if you do not like it you know where to go instead of volunteering me to go to Germany.
    Your opinion is fine, but it's a shame that you're equating your opinion with fact. Like your opinion that the Queen is not taxed (false) or the opinion that she does no work (false), or the opinion that the President of Germany 'governs' (false).

So go ahead with your opinions, but please be aware that they are woefully and poorly informed.

ReputationRep:
    Of which only 15% goes to the government
    Other way round. 85% goes to the Government.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.