Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    In a sense they do because all this strengthens Cameron and Osborne's grip on the Conservative Party and a lot of their columnists would prefer the party led by Fox or Patterson.
    Devious manipulation lies at the heart of the Mail agenda? :innocent: Tut tut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Can we take a moment to appreciate Corbyn's response to criticism for not appointing women to top posts by inventing a meaningless token title for Angela Eagle?

A new kind of politics.
    Lol, yes, he really didn't handle that one well. I think the line that they regard the distinction between the top jobs like Foreign Secretary or Chancellor and Minister for Spoons in the Home Office as 'old fashioned' was the best. I don't think anyone believes they really think that.

It can only get better. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    With so many Corbyn threads (i did'nt want to make yet another) i was'nt sure where to put the polling on him but i'll use this thread as the largest.

Polling is from Survation with regards to his win..

Jeremy Corbyn has just been elected as the new leader of the Labour Party. Of the two options below, who do you think would make the best Prime Minister?
    27% Jeremy Corbyn
    44% David Cameron
    29% DK

---

Do you agree or disagree with the following statements?

Jeremy Corbyn is fit to be Prime Minister
    24% Agree
    27% Neither agree nor disagree
    34% Disagree
    15% DK

Jeremy Corbyn will still be Labour leader at the time of the next general election
    33% Agree
    26% Neither agree nor disagree
    21% Disagree
    20% DK

---

Has the election of Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader made you more or less likely to vote for Labour, or has it made no difference to your vote?
    18% More likely
    24% Less Likely
    57% Makes no difference

6% of Tory 2015 say Corbyn makes them more likely to vote Labour but...
    15% of Labour 2015 say Corbyn makes them less likely to vote Labour

For did not vote in 2015, 17% say Corbyn makes them more likely to vote Labour while 11% say less likely.

---

Which of the following statements is closest to your opinion?

39% "The election of Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party means Labour IS likely to be out of power for more than one future general election"
    22% "The election of Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party means Labour is NOT likely to be out of power for more than one future general election"
    39% Don't know
    Actually that was a lot better than I expected...

ReputationRep:
    Can we take a moment to appreciate Corbyn's response to criticism for not appointing women to top posts by inventing a meaningless token title for Angela Eagle?

A new kind of politics.
    Can we take a moment to appreciate (well, mourn) the fact he's just appointed a shadow environment sectretary that campaigns alongside George Galloway for PETA and blames the problems in the bus on people eating meat and dairy??

I'm so sick of anti science but jobs I thought Labour was better than this, I really did

(Dont even get me started on the shadow climate change appointment)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I don't think anyone believes they really think that.
    It doesn't help that they immediately undermined their position with the Angela Eagle move. That's pretty clearly buying in to the traditional hierarchy...

(Original post by redferry)
    Can we take a moment to appreciate (well, mourn) the fact he's just appointed a shadow environment sectretary that campaigns alongside George Galloway for PETA and blames the problems in the bus on people eating meat and dairy??

I'm so sick of anti science but jobs I thought Labour was better than this, I really did

(Dont even get me started on the shadow climate change appointment)
    The problems in the bus?

I don't even know who the shadow climate change appointment is...

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't help that they immediately undermined their position with the Angela Eagle move. That's pretty clearly buying in to the traditional hierarchy...

The problems in the bus?

I don't even know who the shadow climate change appointment is...
    *NHS
    Damn you autocorrect!!!

Lisa bloody Nandy (shell succeed Corbyn when he steps down.)

ReputationRep:
    *NHS
    Damn you autocorrect!!!

Lisa bloody Nandy (shell succeed Corbyn when he steps down.)
    If elected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone see Owen Smith on Daily Politics today? I can't believe people are still pushing the 'widening debate' line after how that went for the nominating MPs... I guess there's nothing else they can do when they fundamentally disagree on things, but it still sounds funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    If elected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She could always do a Gordon.

ReputationRep:
    She could always do a Gordon.
    No that didn't work out too well.

ReputationRep:
    Jez endorsed by Argentine ambassador: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...s-dispute.html

Prepare to see that in Tory attack ads.

edit: I picture it superimposed over footage of him not signing the national anthem.

If there are any CCHQ staffers on here I'd be happy to share more of my ideas.

ReputationRep:
    It worked brilliantly. It was everything 2009 and onwards that went badly.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!

ReputationRep:
    Jez endorsed by Argentine ambassador: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...s-dispute.html

Prepare to see that in Tory attack ads.

edit: I picture it superimposed over footage of him not signing the national anthem.

If there are any CCHQ staffers on here I'd be happy to share more of my ideas.
    That is one way they might play things but I suspect they might play the policies rather than the person. If they go after Corbyn the individual it could backfire, the safer route is to appear reasonable and thoughtful whilst spelling out the damage the policies (once there are agreed policies) will cause.

At the end of the day it may be a better tactic to let Labour attack itself, weaken itself, and step in later to put the bullet in the head.

The public will bore of 3-4 years of playing the man (if he does last that long)

Sometimes the most difficult thing is not reacting .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    The public will bore of 3-4 years of playing the man (if he does last that long)
    I think you overestimate the public.

Anyway, his stance on the falklands is a policy position. Even his level of patriotism and his republicanism are a lot more relevant to the actual performance he'd give as leader than, say, how he eats sandwiches.

ReputationRep:
    I think you overestimate the public.

Anyway, his stance on the falklands is a policy position. Even his level of patriotism and his republicanism are a lot more relevant to the actual performance he'd give as leader than, say, how he eats sandwiches.
    The problem is that his Falklands position is not now, it is his past. Better to wait current policy announcements then use past history as part of the attack on that policy than to randomly spray his history around now.

If everything is laid bare now there is 3-4 years for it to be digested, using it again later then has a weaker impact.

The smarter move is also not to make him the underdog, the man of the people fighting the establishment, give him that bandwagon and it is more difficult later.

Often it is easier to give the other side enough rope to hang themselves rather than to be seen as the executioner, politics like comedy is surely all about timing.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest my point was that shell succeed him as the left wing leadership candidate.

If these attacks on the centre ground continue shell probably win too, because even slightly more central than Corbyn will leave.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest my point was that shell succeed him as the left wing leadership candidate.

If these attacks on the centre ground continue shell probably win too, because even slightly more central than Corbyn will leave.
    So much for all uniting behind the new leader and respecting the enormous mandate from the membership.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So much for all uniting behind the new leader and respecting the enormous mandate from the membership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's the point in being involved if the whole things made unenjoyable by member isolating and insulting you?

Believe it or not most people do stuff for a political party because they enjoy it. If it's not enjoyable they will leave.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in being involved if the whole things made unenjoyable by member isolating and insulting you?

Believe it or not most people do stuff for a political party because they enjoy it. If it's not enjoyable they will leave.
    The new leader is being subject to all manners of genuine bile from our media. Talking about unity and then refusing to go on the front bench just strikes me as hypocritical. Read the speech Trystram Hunt gave a short while ago as an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "The last thing the party needs is people like you" ~ Redferry shouting at ChaioticButterfly

...and I'm not even a member

Why the heck am I going to join a party where a bunch of red tribalists hate me more than the blue tribe :-/

Calling people trots is a bad as calling people red Tories. Whether it is right or not the PLP is now at odds with the rest of the party. Which is causing problems.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.