Turn on thread page Beta

Labour's Exteme Left Shadow Cabinet, no women in top jobs & appoints John McDonnell! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Well papers have talked about how Corbyn invited Adams and other Sinn Fein terrorists to the commons just weeks after the Brighton bombing when they tried to kill the PM. And even to this day he refuses to condemn them. Both objectively true statements.

But nah, just "right wing media smear". And you lot are telling us the public outside of existing Labourites and Greens will vote for him? Who are you trying to kid?
    The true left in Britain consider Margaret Thatcher as an enemy. Much like Mandela considered himself an enemy of Vorster and Botha. If he wanted Thatcher dead, then he's not going to condemn the IRA for attempting to assassinate her. Much like Mandela never apologised for actually killing people.

Of course, nobody likes a bit of backbone in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Yeah who needs anti discrimination laws.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whilst I like the EU for it;s potential in this kind fo stuff, enforcing worker rights across Europe. There is no reason why you can't have anti discrimination laws and worker rights if we left the EU. However we all know if we do leave the EU it is going to be on the grounds of right wing fetishism and what is bad about the EU currently will just be made worse as the UK can just ignore all the social democratic 'crap' aspects of the EU.

Which is why as much as I don't like the EU and the way it has treated Greece and is an undemocratic mess I will probably end up voting to stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisistheend)
    Absolutely not. I'll be voting NO to the EU no matter what.

The best of all possible worlds seem to be Corbyn Labour economics and UKIP most other things.
    So you wouldn't vote Labour under Corbyn then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I worked 8 hours shifts with two 15 min breaks in my last job. It was awful.

It I was plonked in a Chinese 14 hour day sweatshop I would probbaly end up killing myself.
    Yeah it must be hell. I used to work 10 hour shifts with 15 mins off in a call centre, wasn't much fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    The true left in Britain consider Margaret Thatcher as an enemy. Much like Mandela considered himself an enemy of Vorster and Botha. If he wanted Thatcher dead, then he's not going to condemn the IRA for attempting to assassinate her. Much like Mandela never apologised for actually killing people.

Of course, nobody likes a bit of backbone in this country.
    Right, because comparing 80s Britain to Apartheid and those who oppose her to Mandela isn't delusional.

Do you think this position of supporting people who literally tried to murder a prime minister would carry much support in this country? Even most who opposed Thatcher were disgusted by the bombing.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I like the EU for it;s potential in this kind fo stuff, enforcing worker rights across Europe. There is no reason why you can't have anti discrimination laws and worker rights if we left the EU. However we all know if we do leave the EU it is going to be on the grounds of right wing fetishism and what is bad about the EU currently will just be made worse as the UK can just ignore all the social democratic 'crap' aspects of the EU.

Which is why as much as I don't like the EU and the way it has treated Greece and is an undemocratic mess I will probably end up voting to stay.
    Strange as it is for me to agree with you on anything, these are my thoughts on it as well

ReputationRep:
    Reading all the reactions to Corbyn, I can't help wondering if he hasn't been elected a few years too late. Perhaps he is the leader Labour should have had to replace Gordon Brown at the peak of the financial crash and its aftermath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Right, because comparing 80s Britain to Apartheid and those who oppose her to Mandela isn't delusional.

Do you think this position of supporting people who literally tried to murder a prime minister would carry much support in this country? Even most who opposed Thatcher were disgusted by the bombing.
    Not delusional for some.

And probably not, but that didn't stop 'most who opposed Thatcher' electing an IRA apologist, so nothing's impossible.

It's up to the British public if they want to be conciliatory or not - the supposedly 'disgusted' Labour Party has done so.

ReputationRep:
    I worked 8 hours shifts with two 15 min breaks in my last job. It was awful.

It I was plonked in a Chinese 14 hour day sweatshop I would probbaly end up killing myself.
    My last job in retail I worked 10 hour shifts with two 15 min breaks and I was fine with it. Seriously kids nowadays are so convinced they are entitled to everything. You people wouldn't know a real tough life if it stared you in the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    So you wouldn't vote Labour under Corbyn then?
    The EU referendum will be before 2020, so that's kind of a moot question. I might still vote for Labout in 2020. But I'll definitely vote NO in the EU referendum that comes BEFORE it.

ReputationRep:
    Very good analysis of Corbyn's role by Suzanne Moore today.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...l-with-a-cause

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisistheend)
    The EU referendum will be before 2020, so that's kind of a moot question. I might still vote for Labout in 2020. But I'll definitely vote NO in the EU referendum that comes BEFORE it.
    The idea that anyone against immigration would vote for Cornyn is beyond me, but I'm not about to discourage you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    Eagle is an very well respected economist and would have been a much more sensible choice for Chancellor - Corbyn's already watered down his positions in some policy areas, so that wouldn't have been too huge a problem.
    Not his non negotiable anti-austerity position which was the reason he won however. It would've been a big problem.

Also what a great economist http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...talingrad.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Not his non negotiable anti-austerity position which was the reason he won however. It would've been a big problem.

Also what a great economist http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...talingrad.html
    His anti-austerity position was not the only reason he won.

I cannot get this article (crappy Internet), but I know she's said a couple of embarrassing things about the housing crisis in 2007. That's not to say, however, that she isn't well respected in the House. I would say much more than Corbyn's choice for Chancellor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    His anti-austerity position was not the only reason he won.

I cannot get this article (crappy Internet), but I know she's said a couple of embarrassing things about the housing crisis in 2007. That's not to say, however, that she isn't well respected in the House. I would say much more than Corbyn's choice for Chancellor.
    It combined with the utterly appaling nature of his opposition was the main reason.

2008 when it should have been obvious it was going to pot.

I'll agree McDonell isnt everybody's favourite person but he seems more clued up than her on economics even if i disagree with some of his policies.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Midlander)
    4 million voted in frustration I suspect without looking at UKIP's domestic policies. Wanting to scrap anti-discrimination laws is an abhorrent idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok your an extremist against free speech I get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Ok your an extremist against free speech I get it.
    No I defend your right to speak nonsense and defend mine to call it nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Oh great, another American who thinks every left-leaning person is a bloodthirsty Red commie. The ******* product of McCarthyism and unrestrained capitalism.
    I'm a not an American. You called yourself a Trot anyway so I was clearly right in calling you a communist.

Just because I believe in the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland; and that I actually understand and am trying to explain the justification of armed insurrection doesn't mean I support it...I do, but that's a different point.
    I'm glad you have your own state and I have no desire to take it away from you or your people. I just don't want you to violently take away the state for the Protestant people of Ulster who are the majority and who, having lived there for centuries, have a right to call it home as well.

Fenian is yet another derogatory slang word used by inbred loyalists against Catholics in the Six Counties, and its used by Rangers fans in a sectarian manner against Celtic fans - of which I am one, on a completely unrelated note.
    Strange that you just said that you were a proud or unrepentant fenian if it is such a nasty, derogatory word. Derogatory words generally are not coined by the people who bear that name themselves but this was the case with the word fenian and it even has heroic connotations in its original usage of referring to ancient Irish soldiers.

Somehow using that word to accurately describe you is nasty and bigoted etc. but calling Protestants/Loyalists/Unionists/etc. inbred isn't. That's some mental gymnastics but I guess you must be used to mental gymnastics if you somehow think Catholicism is compatible with Marxism or being a Trot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    I'm glad you have your own state and I have no desire to take it away from you or your people. I just don't want you to violently take away the state for the Protestant people of Ulster who are the majority and who, having lived there for centuries, have a right to call it home as well.
    Take away the state for the Protestant people of Ulster? That is a myth.
    Ulster is made up of 9 counties, therefore they are not of Ulster. Moreover, there are a large number of protestants in the Free State, that is not the problem. "Taking away" is not the terminology - the correct wording is "taking back". We have no quarrel with protestants, only the ones that continue to breed the lie that the English establishment has some sort of hold over it. Of course they have a right to call it home as well - that's what immigrants have the right to do.

But loyalists are the ultimate hypocrites, and I will quote Brian John Spencer here of the Huffington Post: "This Saturday 30 November 2013 10,000 loyalists will walk through Belfast City Centre. Loyalists who have set a firm precedent for violence. Loyalists who have subverted democracy and inverted what it is to be British. They say they're loyal to the Queen yet they attack the Crown's officers. They've so spectacularly missed the point of what it is to be British - that loyalism has gone beyond the absurd and into the realm of insanity. They're descending into madness."

I quote from another neutral source on loyalists during the City Hall riots: "The word 'fleg' - and indeed 'fleggers' - fittingly describes a section of humanity unconcerned with knowledge, reality or the vagaries of the English language. Like America's tea-baggers they are ruled by instinct, fear and paranoia with a side dish of rampant bigotry and startling ignorance of the world around them."

(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Strange that you just said that you were a proud or unrepentant fenian if it is such a nasty, derogatory word. Derogatory words generally are not coined by the people who bear that name themselves but this was the case with the word fenian and it even has heroic connotations in its original usage of referring to ancient Irish soldiers.
    Fenian is derogatory and sectarian when used against Catholics with no inkling as to whether they are nationalists, republicans or other.
    I myself am a republican so I don't care but do find myself pressured into pointing it out when it is used in such a manner without my political ideals being known beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    What are your thoughts on Corbyn appointing an extreme left shadow cabinet. The prime example being the shadow chancellor John McDonnell.

The Shadow Chancellor has come out in support of the IRA & praised them for their bombings and shootings, “It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table''

The Chancellor also supports a 60% tax rate (which as we know was a great success when France did it NOT) & also wants to seize shares from people with no compensation

http://www.cityam.com/224227/labour-s-lost-it

When the announcement was made a Labour MP live on air couldn't even believe it was true McDonnell has been appointed

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...&utm_hp_ref=uk

There is also the issue that all the top jobs went to white middle aged men
    Extreme left is what Britain needs

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.