St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roman hang Limbu)
    I ONLY got 3 As in GCSE but i am still applying so i don't know what you're stressing about.
    how are u predicted that already when u havnt even done AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    how are u predicted that already when u havnt even done AS
    They are my GCSE grade not my Alevel Target grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina1999H)
    The more I search into it, the more I feel I need to listen to people who are saying apply to your strengths!
    My gonna lie, I feel like I've let myself down in the AS's I've sat so far.. Still got the second paper of bio and chem to go, as well as stats but I made some pretty bad mistakes and I'm actually a little bit relieved universities aren't putting too much emphasis on AS grades - but obviously if grades are good then that's just an added benefit for predicted grades etc. hope you're all having a break for a few days in half term

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can i ask what your GCSE grades were if you don't mind sharing. I just want to know because mine was very poor compared to an average med student applicant.

ReputationRep:
    Give it up for Manchester Uni!

I'm taking a gap year and reapplying for 2017 entry
    AS grades: AAAB (B in chem but I'll make up for it this year)
    GCSE: 8A* 1A 1B (B in English lang - why is it always the important ones?)
    A2 Predicions: A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina1999H)
    The more I search into it, the more I feel I need to listen to people who are saying apply to your strengths!
    My gonna lie, I feel like I've let myself down in the AS's I've sat so far.. Still got the second paper of bio and chem to go, as well as stats but I made some pretty bad mistakes and I'm actually a little bit relieved universities aren't putting too much emphasis on AS grades - but obviously if grades are good then that's just an added benefit for predicted grades etc. hope you're all having a break for a few days in half term

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that paragrpah sums me up ahha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SahraHB)
    I only got 10 A grades and 1 B at GCSE and am hoping to study medicine, but looking at this years applicants threads I'm so scared. How on earth did everyone manage to get 12a* at GCSE?

I'm predicted A*A*AA in chemistry biology maths and physics so A level predictions aren't too bad. I'm gonna have to get a miraculous UKCAT to make up for the GCSE's . In short I've got no hope but good luck to the rest of you.
    how are u predicted AS already?

ReputationRep:
    Can i ask what your GCSE grades were if you don't mind sharing. I just want to know because mine was very poor compared to an average med student applicant.
    I know u were not asking me but i read this paragraph and it reflects me and my situation very well even down to the exact 3 exams she has left! I got 9A*'s and 1A as our school only allowed us to do 10 but that dont matter cuz uni's who use them only take ur top 9 anyway so no good having 13 or more A*'s haha! I have struggled this year and we will see what i get in my As's to weather i think i have a chance at making it but i'm predicted 4A's and want to drop maths for next year and continue with chem, bio and Psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    I know u were not asking me but i read this paragraph and it reflects me and my situation very well even down to the exact 3 exams she has left! I got 9A*'s and 1A as our school only allowed us to do 10 but that dont matter cuz uni's who use them only take ur top 9 anyway so no good having 13 or more A*'s haha! I have struggled this year and we will see what i get in my As's to weather i think i have a chance at making it but i'm predicted 4A's and want to drop maths for next year and continue with chem, bio and Psychology
    No but the problem with me is that i only got 3 As in GCSE and C in English language(not my first language) so i am worried that there isn't any university out there that will offer me a place. Any advice on what to do?

ReputationRep:
    No but the problem with me is that i only got 3 As in GCSE and C in English language(not my first language) so i am worried that there isn't any university out there that will offer me a place. Any advice on what to do?
    some uni's dont put much or any weighting on GCSE's, however a lot of them do put them into a mix with your other achievments, so if u do better on these u can bring ur overall score up. Or choose a uni that doesnt look at GCSE's only a levels and UKCAT, i cant think of any off the top of my head but if u look at the uni sites they will tell u, many do not look at GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    why is it so competitive now? People getting unconditional for chem eng with 3A's, not fair

ReputationRep:
    Is it better to do the UKCAT before you get your AS results? Or should you wait in case you don't do as well as expected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Is it better to do the UKCAT before you get your AS results? Or should you wait in case you don't do as well as expected
    personally im doing my after AS results but i know others will disagree with this choice so it;s really up to u! tbh it doesnt make much differnce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Jeff458)
    why is it so competitive now? People getting unconditional for chem eng with 3A's, not fair
    I know. Might aswell do Graphics, Photography, Chemistry and Maths and get easy A* on Graphics and Photography.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips on how to tackle the QR section of the UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raniafern)
    Anybody applying to Irish Med schools?
    maybe queens belfast but havent looked much into it - im looking to go to the open day

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys has anyone ever heard of this guide?http://www.completemedguide.com/features/ notsure if it's worth it but sample looked ok

I just want anything good for UKCAT prep!!! Bought the Kaplan book already and thinking of 600q book too (new version)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User2422333)
    Exactly, that's why the new a level reforms are quite unfair for us doing AS' if they're not even going to give us any advantage
    i agree, actually it gives us a disadvantage as we have a lot less time to write a personal statement and practice for ukcat and Bmat, we work our butt off just to get predicted grades where as some people have have all this time to do what we have to rush over summer bec they arent doing the AS's and just get given thier predicted gradees

ReputationRep:
    That's not true. The schools that aren't doing as are doing mocks which will be used for our predicted grades. We're also having exams that we have to rely heavily on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doculmc7171)
    That's not true. The schools that aren't doing as are doing mocks which will be used for our predicted grades. We're also having exams that we have to rely heavily on.
    not the same, would be way less pressure and so forth probably better grades, but at least those doing AS will be better prepared for next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just_a_mum)
    Just wondering if anyone on here went to the Cardiff Open Day on April 13th and attended the medicine talks? The website says the admissions criteria for 2017 entry for medicine are being reviewed and are waiting for approval (because of the A level reforms I'm guessing, and perhaps because of the huge number of applicants they get each year).
    Did the admissions team at the talks actually discuss what changes (if any) had been decided or is it still under review? Just wondering if the information is out there, but the website has not yet been updated.

I have posted this question in a couple of other threads - sorry if you keep seeing it.
    I went to this talk and they said the same as the website, they werent sure about the new AS level grades really but they put empthasis on PS and interview

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.