Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Rat_Bag)
    Really?

So when you see an attractive woman you are forcing yourself by choice not to feel attracted to her? Really?
    Attractive? I find no woman attractive, so, unless you mean pretty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Actually no, do you not see that most things that happen in life are because of the choices we make, whether good or bad.

The one only things in life that no one can make choice about is your ethnicity and whether your female or male.
    So we choose whether to be left or right handed?
    Tall or short?
    Artistic or practical?
    Violent or gentle?
    Christian or atheist?
    Healthy or sickly?

People choose to be gay because they don't see themselves attracted to the opposite sex, its s choice,
    What makes them attracted to the opposite sex or not? Is that a choice?

you are not born automatically gay, like there is no "gene" in any new born baby labelled as the "gay gene".
    The problem that you have here is that you are arguing from a position of belief. Homosexuality must be a sinful, lifestyle choice because god condemns it in the Bible. It is not a position based on evidence, just assertion.

Unfortunately (for your position), research has found that there are biological and genetic factors that affect our sexuality, as well as environmental. And the research has not stopped. You have basically staked all your theological chips on science never proving a link between biology and sexuality.
    Good luck with that!
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/b...s-deal-with-it

ReputationRep:
    Attractive? I find no woman attractive, so, unless you mean pretty?
    Okay then, when you see a pretty woman you are forcing yourself by choice not to feel attracted to her? Really?

(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    You choose your sexuality like you choose to be hungry. There never came a day when you decided "hmmm i think i might find that man sexually attractive".
    Tbh, I get what other and you on here are saying but I have my opinions.

ReputationRep:
    No, its a choice because I see nothing in girls.
    Why do you see nothing in girls?
    Do you choose not to, or were you made that way?

ReputationRep:
    It both tbh .
    So you feel attracted to girls, and you resist it, or you want to be attracted to girls but it just won't happen?

Either way, it shows that your sexuality has an innate (god made us that way) quality.

ReputationRep:
    You can chose to be attracted to anyone so, its a choice.
    So you could choose to have sex with a woman and enjoy it.
    But earlier, you said that you could never do that!

And I don't think I know someone who was 100% straight,
    So, you were making that up.

we all question our sexuality sometimes however, those who are decisive are making choices.
    Yes, but why do people question their sexuality, and what do they base their choices on?
    Why would someone choose to be gay if they were not already attracted to the same sex, especially considering the kind of prejudice that many still experience?
    You are not making any sense.

All life is about choices, what is so hard to understand.
    And yet, we all suffer due to things that we have no control over.
    The only reason that you insist that sexuality is a choice is because your religious belief requires it. Evidence and logic suggests otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    No, its not.

There is no gay gene assigned to anyone before their birth.
    Genes are not "assigned". Particular genes may only increase the likelihood of a certain trait, not guarantee it.
    And genetics is not the only biological factor involved.

(Original post by QE2)
    Why do you see nothing in girls?
    Do you choose not to, or were you made that way?

I chose not to, so far we have the same features, there is no attraction there.

(Original post by QE2)
    Genes are not "assigned". Particular genes may only increase the likelihood of a certain trait, not guarantee it.
    And genetics is not the only biological factor involved.
    Genes are not assigned but every person has genes. be it from their father or mother or a combination of both.

(Original post by QE2)
    So you could choose to have sex with a woman and enjoy it.
    But earlier, you said that you could never do that!

I could chose to have sex but I won't do that because I am not attracted to girls.

You could chose to have sex with a woman but not necessarily enjoy it.
    So, you were making that up.

No, I was not making that up, its been a while since I saw them last.

Yes, but why do people question their sexuality, and what do they base their choices on?
    Why would someone choose to be gay if they were not already attracted to the same sex, especially considering the kind of prejudice that many still experience?
    You are not making any sense.

Gay people don't have to be gay, they don't have to act upon what they do so far it is their actions that make people frown upon them.

They chose to act upon their sexual desires.

And yet, we all suffer due to things that we have no control over.
    The only reason that you insist that sexuality is a choice is because your religious belief requires it. Evidence and logic suggests otherwise.
    Yes, at times we may suffer for the stuff we have no control over but it does not mean that we will suffer for ever.

Regardless of peoples religious beliefs, I just don't think its right and why would God(if you believe he exists) look down upon it if it was not a choice, surely, he would not.

I had enough of this thread and I have my own opinions.

(Original post by QE2)
    So you feel attracted to girls, and you resist it, or you want to be attracted to girls but it just won't happen?

Either way, it shows that your sexuality has an innate (god made us that way) quality.
    What? I am not attracted to girls whatsoever and don't t think I ever will.

(Original post by QE2)
    So we choose whether to be left or right handed?
    Tall or short?
    Artistic or practical?
    Violent or gentle?
    Christian or atheist?
    Healthy or sickly?

What makes them attracted to the opposite sex or not? Is that a choice?

The problem that you have here is that you are arguing from a position of belief. Homosexuality must be a sinful, lifestyle choice because god condemns it in the Bible. It is not a position based on evidence, just assertion.

Unfortunately (for your position), research has found that there are biological and genetic factors that affect our sexuality, as well as environmental. And the research has not stopped. You have basically staked all your theological chips on science never proving a link between biology and sexuality.
    Good luck with that!
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/b...s-deal-with-it
    Stuff like that, we have no control over so, no choice however as we mature in age etc we begin to make choices.

Influence does play a role but sometimes its due to the fact that we allow it to.

For instance, most of the greatest enterprouners started from scratch and were look down upon because of their disabilities but regardless of that, they did not let their disability be a barrier to them.

ReputationRep:
    I chose not to, so far we have the same features, there is no attraction there.
    You keep contradicting yourself.

If you are not attracted to women, you are not choosing to see nothing in them.

If you are choosing to find them unatractive, it means that you could choose to find them attractive, and could therefore have a sexual relationship with them.

ReputationRep:
    So you are not choosing your sexuality. It is just the way you are.

Case closed, I think you'll agree.

ReputationRep:
    No, its not.

There is no gay gene assigned to anyone before their birth.
    Now that is ignorance.

In what world do you think A SINGLE GENE determines your entire sexuality.
    Jesus christ, I really hope youre not studying anything biology related.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like that, we have no control over so, no choice however as we mature in age etc we begin to make choices.
    So you agree that there are many elements to who we are that we have no control over.

Influence does play a role but sometimes its due to the fact that we allow it to.
    So you agree that some people resist their natural sexuality.

For instance, most of the greatest enterprouners started from scratch and were look down upon because of their disabilities but regardless of that, they did not let their disability be a barrier to them.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salx.x)
    I come from a fairly liberal Muslim family in London. I don't wear Hijab and I don't pray. My family aren't bad people, but they really do have high expectations for me. My mum says everyday that she knows I'll be great and that she prays everyday that I'll be successful. My siblings are more the issue though, they also have high expectations and have recently become more practising. I know I should wait till I'm old enough to move out (I'm still in school), but it's been a few weeks since I've come to realise of my atheism and I'm already going crazy. I have studied Islam in depth and there's many things I believe are wrong and disagree with. I'm going to ask you not to post any Qur'an verses, even though I know someone will. What can I do to prepare myself to tell them I'm atheist? And how should I tell them? I can already see what my life is going to be if I don't leave Islam soon. I'll only carry on living my miserable life, doing things I don't believe and passing those beliefs to my children who'll have to live the miserable life I did. I respect Islam and Muslims, but I really do have strong views about things on the dark side of religion that everyone seems to overlook. I got into a really heated argument once with a friend who said that being gay is a choice because it says that nobody is born gay in the Quran. I have my own morals and I don't need religion to keep me in place.
    Has anyone else ever left Islam, and if so how did your family react?
    I used to be a hindu then one day I decided when I was 14/15 that I was going to be an atheist. I told my parents, who told all my aunts and uncles. They mocked me about it for ages, but eventually they tired of making fun of me and no one makes a big deal out of it. Every diwali I try get away from my local area (also in London), because I hate the religious festivities and it's easier to be away from home when all the relatives come over to celebrate hindu new year etc.

I'm not sure whether your relatives would commit an honour killing should you tell them you are an atheist, but if they won't and are pretty conservative but non violent like mine then you could just do what I did? If you think they will take you to pakistan and kill you then I think you should just play along and be a minimally practising as possible, until you go your own way.

Sometimes it really sucks being an Asian in a western country doesn't it? I feel like i'm torn between my ancestors' indian culture and the western culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farhiyaserar)
    the thing we as muslims just cant stand by and watch one of our sisters go down the wrong path. same way you wouldnt like it if one your family members are doing something wrong or harmful.
    it doesnt matter if she takes the advice or if she doesnt, we still need to let her know that what she is doing isnt whats good for in the long run. this applies to all muslims sinning not just the ones leaving Islam. we're sister/brotherhood who are supposed guide/ not force!! and it is a sin for us to just watch someone sin.
    It's not the wrong path though. Loads of ex-muslims profess that the best decision they ever made was leaving Islam.

Now the OP has clearly expressed the desire not to see swarms of muslims invade this thread with their dawah and Qur'an quotes, why can't they respect that? If anything, muslims doing that are likely to make her dislike Islam even more.

ReputationRep:
    Well how do you know for sure? You say it's a choice so you may choose to one day?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.