Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyn)
    Any time between the 16th -20th of may the results will be out.
    Thanks.

I hate the wait

ReputationRep:
    Someone previously posted that it came out on 11th of May last year, so roughly a month from now seems plausible.

ReputationRep:
    The sepember results were around nov 12th since the exam was sept 9th. The ireland gamsat was the 19th march & so the results wont be out until the week 16-20th may 👍🏻

ReputationRep:
    What are good revision materials to use for section 3? I have heard the Letts revision guides are quite good, does anybody know if this is true or have any better recommendations? I have no idea where to start with the science revision, it just seems so broad with no specification on topics or anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg.17)
    What are good revision materials to use for section 3? I have heard the Letts revision guides are quite good, does anybody know if this is true or have any better recommendations? I have no idea where to start with the science revision, it just seems so broad with no specification on topics or anything!
    The Letts revision guides were my bible. I also used Khan Academy (orgo), Chemguide (inorganic chem) and BozemanScience (complicated stuff such as aerobic respiration) as supplementary resources. If there is any concept you are struggling with, just search the topic on youtube (there are some seriously FANTASTIC teachers on youtube, way better than anything I had at school, that can make any topic simple).

If you want a syllabus, check out the Griffiths Gamsat Guide.

Also, when you've learned the material, I suggest going through the ACER practice papers and MCAT practice papers to get a feel for the questions.

For reference, I scored a 70 in S3, coming from a non-science background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    The Letts revision guides were my bible. I also used Khan Academy (orgo), Chemguide (inorganic chem) and BozemanScience (complicated stuff such as aerobic respiration) as supplementary resources. If there is any concept you are struggling with, just search the topic on youtube (there are some seriously FANTASTIC teachers on youtube, way better than anything I had at school, that can make any topic simple).

Also, when you've learned the material, I suggest going through the ACER practice papers and MCAT practice papers to get a feel for the questions.

Amazing, thank you so much for your suggestions, this has really helped!

ReputationRep:
    So last year's GAMSAT Ireland was on Saturday 21st March and they got results on Monday 11th May. Our GAMSAT was on Saturday 19th March..... fingers crossed for the 9th May! But the 16th definitely seems more likely. Anyone else thinking about it?

ReputationRep:

Amazing. Thanks for sharing. How do you suggest prep for sections 1 and 2? How many hours a week did you spend prepping? I know I've asked you months ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    Amazing. Thanks for sharing. How do you suggest prep for sections 1 and 2? How many hours a week did you spend prepping? I know I've asked you months ago.
    S1- Get used to reading fast. My UKCAT practice helped with this, as did reading broadsheet articles (which have the added benefit of informing your S2 essays). I also read some more challenging texts like Dickens and Daniel Defoe (this was more of an effort but not every text you're given in the GAMSAT will be interesting, so being able to concentrate while wading through very heavy texts was a good skill to have). I think there is a certain amount of innate ability that goes into getting a good S1 score, it relies on logic to a certain extent (more so than the other 2 sections). For poetry, I read somewhere that you can usually narrow it down to 2 answers and from there pick the more symbolic answer and that method worked quite well for me.

S2 - I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice on this section as I scored a pitiful 59. All I did was practice writing essays. I found a big list of writing prompts here

http://www.medstudent.org/threads/ga...estions.57513/

There was also this website that gives you a random set of quotes to write on that works well

http://www.ellipsoid.org/gmi/random-quote-generator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    S2 was my best section (68.) About 8 of us met on here last year and started an essay exchange via whatsapp and email. We set essay quotes and marked each other's essays each week. It was a brilliant help with this section. We learned so much by marking each other's and suggesting how they could be improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    S1- Get used to reading fast. My UKCAT practice helped with this, as did reading broadsheet articles (which have the added benefit of informing your S2 essays). I also read some more challenging texts like Dickens and Daniel Defoe (this was more of an effort but not every text you're given in the GAMSAT will be interesting, so being able to concentrate while wading through very heavy texts was a good skill to have). I think there is a certain amount of innate ability that goes into getting a good S1 score, it relies on logic to a certain extent (more so than the other 2 sections). For poetry, I read somewhere that you can usually narrow it down to 2 answers and from there pick the more symbolic answer and that method worked quite well for me.

S2 - I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice on this section as I scored a pitiful 59. All I did was practice writing essays. I found a big list of writing prompts here

http://www.medstudent.org/threads/ga...estions.57513/

There was also this website that gives you a random set of quotes to write on that works well

http://www.ellipsoid.org/gmi/random-quote-generator
    Major thanks and congrats again on your offer. I will start practicing now my Masters exams are wrapping up. Thank you! I will be practicing essays often.

(Original post by Lisagee10)
    S2 was my best section (68.) About 8 of us met on here last year and started an essay exchange via whatsapp and email. We set essay quotes and marked each other's essays each week. It was a brilliant help with this section. We learned so much by marking each other's and suggesting how they could be improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Major thanks and well done on your score as well. I think that's a good idea. I'll see if others here have a group so far... would be useful to exchange ideas and ways to do well. Thanks for sharing.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys, I've recently been offered a full time job as a 'Support Worker' for people on the autism spectrum, I'm wondering if you guys think this would count as an acceptable form of work experience that I can relate to a GEM application? I ask because I'm wondering if it being more of a social role instead of health, it would count or not. I wouldn't want to do the job full time just to find out it didn't benefit my application. I'm applying this year for 2017 entry.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    Hiya guys, I've recently been offered a full time job as a 'Support Worker' for people on the autism spectrum, I'm wondering if you guys think this would count as an acceptable form of work experience that I can relate to a GEM application? I ask because I'm wondering if it being more of a social role instead of health, it would count or not. I wouldn't want to do the job full time just to find out it didn't benefit my application. I'm applying this year for 2017 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it would be a good idea. Working with people with autism will require special skills and understanding. I don't see how they couldn't count this as a support to your application. It may be a bit more social but still valuable in the wider arena of healthcare provision. If you want proper confirmation, contact the unis you're applying to and ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This should be fine, alongside my HCA stuff I do support work with an adult with learning difficulties. Whilst it is not clinical, or invasive, or as hands on, it is still good experience and definitely relatable.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my opinion it would definitely count. Any experience where you are working with people or part of a team is valuable. Also, work experience where the emphasis is on communicating with and relating to others is great.

When I applied to GEM I had very little clinical experience but had volunteered for a while at a refuge for people in suicide crisis and found it gave me some amazing experiences to talk about at interview.

ReputationRep:
    Are you allowed a calculator for this exam ? I'm assuming you must as there are a great deal of complex forumula's in S3 particularly physics and chemistry ones that would be near impossible to carry out without the use of a basic calculator. any feedback is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parmar263)
    Are you allowed a calculator for this exam ? I'm assuming you must as there are a great deal of complex forumula's in S3 particularly physics and chemistry ones that would be near impossible to carry out without the use of a basic calculator. any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    No calculators. Sorry, they used to be allowed but not for years now. Get cracking on your mental maths and memorising some formulae.

ReputationRep:
    Khan Academy is a great resource for the equations covered in the GAMSAT exam. I felt like this initially but it is possible to remember them given a decent amount of practise!

ReputationRep:
    To add to what others have said, they give you easy numbers to put into the formula so as long as you know the formula working out the correct answer shouldn't be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think calculators not being allowed makes things easier -- Acer are, in a sense, limited to posing questions that can be solved (or estimated) without a calculator. In exams that calculators are allowed, I generally have an uneasy feeling with most of my chosen answers because the calculation might have been 'too easy/straightforward.'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.