Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ask the TSR Government - 22nd Parliament watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    They have mostly done what we have done in rolling departments together, but there is also introducing unnecessary "progressive" things as major parts of departments, and of course damn Rural Affairs, that helps the opposition people.
    They also have no Secretary of State for Scotland , Wales or Northern Ireland ? in RL We could easily merge
    DEFRA And Energy
    Education and Business
    Foreign and Development
    Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland into one department

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I Know Right !
    1)
    Should be " Secretary of State for the Home Department " and " Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government "
    2)
    " Secretary of State for Constitutional Reform, Devolution and International Development " Doesn't Exist . It should be Secretary of state for international development . Devolution comes under local government
    3)
    " Secretary of State for Climate Change, Culture and Communications " doesn't exist. should be " Secretary of state for energy and climate change . And " Secretary of state for Culture , media and sport "
    4)
    "Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Lifelong Learning " Doesn't Exist , should be " Secretary of State for Business, skills and innovation"
    5) No DEFRA ?
    So we have a made up cabinet... Congrats
    We don't have a 'made up' cabinet. We'll decide what people's titles are, thank you very much, not you. The MHoC isn't and shouldn't be a mirror of real life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    It's called merging departments.

Also, Gove changed the name of his department when he was Education Secretary

And don't you think Department of Energy, Environment, Climate Change, Culture, Communications and Connectivity is a bit of a mouthful, for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Since when was their a department for constitutional reform ? , Connectivity ? And Surly Lifelong learning would come under education?

Connectivity , Culture and energy, climate change are totally different things so why put them in the same department ?

ReputationRep:
    hazzer1998 - I understand your obsession with mirroring real life but a name is a name, as long as it doesn't detract from the role the department fulfils it shouldn't matter.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They also have no Secretary of State for Scotland , Wales or Northern Ireland ? in RL We could easily merge
    DEFRA And Energy
    Education and Business
    Foreign and Development
    I suspect that SWNI is under "devolution"
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    DEFRA And Energy
    Education and Business
    Foreign and Development
    Scotland Wales and N.I come under devolution.

Culture Communication and Connectivity (formerly Culture Media and Sport) has been merged with Energy, Environment and Climate Change.

Further Education comes under Business, Innovation and Skills in real life, so we decided to rename it Business, Innovation and Life Long learning to make it clearer.

I honestly don't see why the names of departments are a problem...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So you're now suggesting that you loathe Gove and what he does but want to do the same things. Self loathing generally isn't a good sign.
    I do not have the time or energy to debate you on this matter. I am expressing a personal dislike for Gove, that's all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    TheDefiniteArticle, with regards to your comment on the SoI, there is allocating money, and then there is not even looking up the current budget, and then when uou are challenged on it engaging in delaying tactics to avoid making an even bigger fool of oneself until the item is withdrawn.

ReputationRep:
    TheDefiniteArticle, with regards to your comment on the SoI, there is allocating money, and then there is not even looking up the current budget, and then when uou are challenged on it engaging in delaying tactics to avoid making an even bigger fool of oneself until the item is withdrawn.
    That's an issue with the costing, not the Statement itself, which I'm sure will be fixed for vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just to clairfy, the SOI was withdrawn in order to fix the mistakes that were made. You can expect a resubmission in due course.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Just to clairfy, the SOI was withdrawn in order to fix the mistakes that were made. You can expect a resubmission in due course.
    You say fix... might as well just go for a re-write
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    That's an issue with the costing, not the Statement itself, which I'm sure will be fixed for vote.
    And I look forwards to the numbers being arbitrarily reduced to a new arbitrary level. You are, of course, assuming the government lasts that long given we now have 3 statements in a row that are a bit of a shambles, two of them being from the same individual. Where is James when the government needs him?

As mobbsy said, there is little point fixing it, it wants rewriting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Where is James when the government needs him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Busy trying to write up a budget report.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Will the government be making a statement on the situation in Saudi Arabia and Iran ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Will the government be making a statement on the situation in Saudi Arabia and Iran ?
    I can't speak for the whole government, but personally, I don't feel that it's our place to interfere.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I can't speak for the whole government, but personally, I don't feel that it's our place to interfere.
    I'm inclined to agree, and I certainly don't feel that it's helpful to take sides in this disagreement.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'm inclined to agree, and I certainly don't feel that it's helpful to take sides in this disagreement.
    Indeed. Let us not pick a winner before there is a war :P
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Will the government make a statement on the newly published videos by the so called " Islamic state " ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Will the government make a statement on the newly published videos by the so called " Islamic state " ?
    Personally I believe that it's 'desperate stuff.'
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Why do you want statements so badly? If you want us to say something join the CC and create a well thought out crisis for us to make a statement to. These videos and now once every week and it's old news,

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.