Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    After Cameron went through so much effort to make the tories look lgbt friendly however do you think they will really kick that all to the curb and elect a massive homophobe as leader?
    Labour are typically rather Pro-EU, yet they still elected someone who has historically been eurosceptic as their leader. It's unlikely to be seen as a huge issue and if it does become one, he'd just soften his stance on the issue in the same way Farron has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Labour are typically rather Pro-EU, yet they still elected someone who has historically been eurosceptic as their leader. It's unlikely to be seen as a huge issue and if it does become one, he'd just soften his stance on the issue in the same way Farron has.
    New Labour are typically Pro-EU, and the PLP are Pro-EU, I would say the actual membership is a lot more divided, and were we in power this divide would be far more noticeable as lots of the eurospectics on the left are worried of what would happen without the protection of the social chapter, which wouldn't be an issue under a Labour government.

I just think Crabb might be a newspaper's best friend, well the mirror's and guardian's, with all his links to gay cure charities and such
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    New Labour are typically Pro-EU, and the PLP are Pro-EU, I would say the actual membership is a lot more divided, and were we in power this divide would be far more noticeable as lots of the eurospectics on the left are worried of what would happen without the protection of the social chapter, which wouldn't be an issue under a Labour government.

I just think Crabb might be a newspaper's best friend, well the mirror's and guardian's, with all his links to gay cure charities and such
    In the polling 59% of Labour want to stay, 23% leave, 2% would not vote, 16% DK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    That includes a lot of people who are too worried about leaving now under a tory government, such as myself and a number of those I work closely with in London Labour
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That includes a lot of people who are too worried about leaving now under a tory government, such as myself and a number of those I work closely with in London Labour
    I.e. the people without a ounce of common sense. Do you all also buy project fear?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm pretty sure I've seen statistics with 80% for stay within Labour. It's not even close.

ReputationRep:
    I.e. the people without a ounce of common sense. Do you all also buy project fear?
    i.e. people legitimately scared of what this government is doing, and fears what it would do if the social chapter wasn't there to stop them going further.

The EU debate itself, to be clear, has been dreadful, I think both sides are talking utter **** and trying to appear something they are not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i.e. people legitimately scared of what this government is doing, and fears what it would do if the social chapter wasn't there to stop them going further.

The EU debate itself, to be clear, has been dreadful, I think both sides are talking utter **** and trying to appear something they are not.
    Are you also all of the mind that the Tories will abolish the NHS tomorrow, and when they don't do it tomorrow it will be the day after, then the day after, then the day after?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The idea of an individual voting to remain in an organisation that individual dislike because the current government that can be voted out if five four years strikes me as absurd. I cannot see why an individual would choose to sacrifice the country by remaining in the EU by not voting to leave when an exit from the EU would be a sacrifice of five years.

ReputationRep:
    Are you also all of the mind that the Tories will abolish the NHS tomorrow, and when they don't do it tomorrow it will be the day after, then the day after, then the day after?
    Well the Government don't need to, TTIP can do that, although then again WHO state we no longer have an NHS as it is anyway.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The idea of an individual voting to remain in an organisation that individual dislike because the current government that can be voted out if five four years strikes me as absurd. I cannot see why an individual would choose to sacrifice the country by remaining in the EU by not voting to leave when an withdrawal from the EU would be a sacrifice of five years.
    We vote to leave in June, that is just under four years till they could vote in a Labour Government to reverse everything done in that time, that is there mindset, and it's an infectious one amongst all those I have talked to in London Young Labour who aren't massively for the EU
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well the Government don't need to, TTIP can do that, although then again WHO state we no longer have an NHS as it is anyway.

We vote to leave in June, that is just under four years till they could vote in a Labour Government to reverse everything done in that time, that is there mindset, and it's an infectious one amongst all those I have talked to in London Young Labour who aren't massively for the EU
    So what you're saying is that to protect one thing you will sacrifice another, but you didn't answer the question.

I would also like to add to what Nigel Farage MEP said, remember that we won't actually be leaving until 2018, so that's less than two years to the election for you to be paranoid that a bunch of rational individuals will commit political suicide.

ReputationRep:
    So what you're saying is that to protect one thing you will sacrifice another, but you didn't answer the question.

I would also like to add to what Nigel Farage MEP said, remember that we won't actually be leaving until 2018, so that's less than two years to the election for you to be paranoid that a bunch of rational individuals will commit political suicide.
    I pointed out that people don't expect the tories ot do it themselves, all they have to do is not keep the NHS out of TTIP, when even UKIP is telling them to protect it, and it will be gone.

As for your point, after the 2015 election no one I talked to thought we could win 2020, no matter who was leader, that remains a believe polls suggest is prevalent in the party, I think it is something people are scared of, these people who are considering leaving also don't want to leave on UKIP's or the eurospectic tory's terms,
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I pointed out that people don't expect the tories ot do it themselves, all they have to do is not keep the NHS out of TTIP, when even UKIP is telling them to protect it, and it will be gone.

As for your point, after the 2015 election no one I talked to thought we could win 2020, no matter who was leader, that remains a believe polls suggest is prevalent in the party, I think it is something people are scared of, these people who are considering leaving also don't want to leave on UKIP's or the eurospectic tory's terms,
    So you mean you don't think they will commit electoral suicide with the NHS? So why would they commit electoral suicide with your guys paranoia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Would you have stood as an independent?
    Most likely, as I don't think I'd be any good at agreeing with party policies, etc., and I'm torn between endorsing Labour and Conservative for election at the moment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    Most likely, as I don't think I'd be any good at agreeing with party policies, etc., and I'm torn between endorsing Labour and Conservative for election at the moment.
    Fairly polar choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Fairly polar choices?
    Well yes, but I consider myself a moderate Conservative who would most likely be a commie compared to the TSR Tories.

ReputationRep:
    So you mean you don't think they will commit electoral suicide with the NHS? So why would they commit electoral suicide with your guys paranoia?
    Because they thought to get rid of the social chapter before it was even enforced in the 90s and many of the Eurospectics see it as red tape to be gotten rid of if we left?

(Original post by EricAteYou)
    Fairly polar choices?
    Pretty much my thoughts
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Because they thought to get rid of the social chapter before it was even enforced in the 90s and many of the Eurospectics see it as red tape to be gotten rid of if we left?

Pretty much my thoughts
    They also wanted to get rid of the minimum wage before it was implemented, funnily enough the so called Tories are now worshiping it as a good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    I've decided that as I'm fairly new here, I will refrain from standing this GE, as the couple of votes I may win will be wasted. I will instead endorse a party of my choice. Not that I have much influence, anyway...
    Aww, I wanted to see an indie run to jazz things up a bit

ReputationRep:
    They also wanted to get rid of the minimum wage before it was implemented, funnily enough the so called Tories are now worshiping it as a good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant to say "still see it as red tape", and as for the minimum wage you have a point

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.