Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eu: In or out? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should be stay a member or leave?
    Stay
    58.06%
    Leave
    41.94%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klosovic)
    I'd like to be able to vote for who's in charge so I want to leave the EU.
    ...and move to Witney?

ReputationRep:
    We should certainly stay in. Everyone simplifies this too much, in reality we have no idea what a Brexit would do for the UK. That uncertainty in itself will be a catalyst for an economic downturn, as it will decrease demand as consumers themselves put off "big ticket" purchases as they fear such assets would depreciate. Moreover, the point of "oh, immigrant steal our jobs" is ridiculous. What's to stop UK companies from outsourcing to other countries with cheaper labour? One way or another, those who lack skills are going to find it hard to get jobs. Vote IN.

ReputationRep:
    Same! mostly due to hosuing prices; They predict if the house market keeps rising, you will have to earn £100,000 a year in order to afford a BASIC house/flat! I mean thats ridiculous! In order to own my own propety i will have to wait for my parents to die! im sorry but its the harsh reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmahapatra)
    We should certainly stay in. Everyone simplifies this too much, in reality we have no idea what a Brexit would do for the UK. That uncertainty in itself will be a catalyst for an economic downturn, as it will decrease demand as consumers themselves put off "big ticket" purchases as they fear such assets would depreciate. Moreover, the point of "oh, immigrant steal our jobs" is ridiculous. What's to stop UK companies from outsourcing to other countries with cheaper labour? One way or another, those who lack skills are going to find it hard to get jobs. Vote IN.
    YES!!!! WE DON'T KNOW WHAT'LL HAPPEN IF WE CAN MAKE OUR DECISIONS!!!!

only RACISTS want brexit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    ...and move to Witney?
    Lol, I still chuckle when I think about my sweet and innocent looking Nan who lived there talking about seeing "that Tory *******" at the supermarket.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in.
    **** leaving, and giving more power to the tories (who will most likely take more workers rights), could care less about economics, since its all BS anyways.( both sides) plus why screw my future for some old ****s, who think were in 1846 . Simple as; these cold **** keep taking us to war, so young people can die, they ruined our economy and planet, and still want to claim they know whats best ?. I've done ton of research and it's led me to have no idea whats going on, I've honestly done a ton of research, read both sides, looked the info, which both sides claim is false for the other and still have no idea whats best..But i know the in stance makes more sense than the rainbows and unicorns of out, they have no idea what will happen and claim well be okay, but can't explain how or why. the country is okay as is, EU wise, a year or two back no one gave a ****, but now everyone claims its great or bad. personally i see no point in risking it and my future and workers rights, for some old people and foolish youths that think leving the EU will somehow makes us the best country in the universe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    I'm in.
    **** leaving, and giving more power to the tories (who will most likely take more workers rights), could care less about economics, since its all BS anyways.( both sides) plus why screw my future for some old ****s, who think were in 1846 . Simple as; these cold **** keep taking us to war, so young people can die, they ruined our economy and planet, and still want to claim they know whats best ?. I've done ton of research and it's led me to have no idea whats going on, I've honestly done a ton of research, read both sides, looked the info, which both sides claim is false for the other and still have no idea whats best..But i know the in stance makes more sense than the rainbows and unicorns of out, they have no idea what will happen and claim well be okay, but can't explain how or why. the country is okay as is, EU wise, a year or two back no one gave a ****, but now everyone claims its great or bad. personally i see no point in risking it and my future and workers rights, for some old people and foolish youths that think leving the EU will somehow makes us the best country in the universe.
    YESS!!!!! SO TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

the tories will literally TAKE ALL OUR RIGHTS AWAY!!!!!!! AND THEN THEY'LL STILL GET ELECTED!!!!!
    WE NEED THE UNELECTED COMMISSION TO KEEP US SAFE!!!!!! (hopefully they don't do things we dont like lol but we take risks right?)

independence is SO 1846!!!! DEMOCRACY IS LITERALLY ANCIENT GREEKS YOU BACKWARDSS BIGOTS!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by string210)
    Apparently according to paper's i've read recently it suggests alot of students are going to vote in, and the majority of brexiters are middle aged to pensioners.
    I'm personally a brexiter but apparently i'm in the minority. Also if we did vote to leave, who would be prime minister , david cameron or someone else?

So doing a few straw poll's because i'm interested so see if that's true.
    Shake it all about!

Sorry that's literally the first thought I have when I see "in or out" aside from a more inappropriate nuance haha but seriously I'm voting in but I respect your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brusselsknowbest)
    YESS!!!!! SO TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

the tories will literally TAKE ALL OUR RIGHTS AWAY!!!!!!! AND THEN THEY'LL STILL GET ELECTED!!!!!
    WE NEED THE UNELECTED COMMISSION TO KEEP US SAFE!!!!!! (hopefully they don't do things we dont like lol but we take risks right?)

independence is SO 1846!!!! DEMOCRACY IS LITERALLY ANCIENT GREEKS YOU BACKWARDSS BIGOTS!!!
    you sound like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    the EU is pure protectionism, borderlessness and authoritarianism - I am baffled as to how anybody can really see the value in this unreformable disaster. the EU has no merit whatsoever - it is going to damage us economically particularly - literally; the EU simply protects failing corporations and stops better/cheapper imports, so we as EU citizens have to pay more than otherwise, all for the sake of the greedy clientele/interests of farmers, foreign fishers, manufacturers etc who hate foreign competition. if the WTO wasn't here we'd be a sunken ship by now. we're currently a sinking ship compared with the BRIC countries.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in.
    what workers' rights are you even talking about? :| how is it about workers' rights when workers are less likely o find a job or get laid off via cheap workers from eastern europe? how is it about the workers when the corporations of europe (not just business but agriculture/fisheries) stop foreign competition, making consumers (whom are also workers) pay more for their goods?

also, you do realise the tories won't be in power forever, right? :| have some patience - you and everybody else can vote them out eventually. surely you can have *some* respect for democracy? why vote or more authoritarianism from overseas just because you're so selfish politically to deny people their electoral decision? if people want the tories, why do you think it's fair to vote for the EU to deny he party that this party itself voted for? that's appalling

ReputationRep:
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Democracy is overrated IMO, Are my views heard, not really … do i care not really... but overall democracy isn’t the main question here for me; The only thing i really care about, was and is the NHS, And I’ve slowly watched it fall apart due to the Tories, I remember seeing billboards from GP explaining why privatisation of some parts of the NHS was bad, few years ago, when I was younger. Junior doctors were being imposed a new unwanted contract ect ect and my views weren’t heard or cared about, so what so great about democracy, when no one hears the only view you really have on politics? and i could care less if we have less democracy (it does worry me that far-right parties in eastern Europe, are getting into the E.U) democracy is democracy, We want to spread it cross the world but none of us in the west can do it right, im personally a conservative kind of person, i dislike change, unless its needed, did i or many people care of the E.U beforehand, not really.. But now is seems like the E.U is life and death, and the reason this country is in austerity/ ‘’failing’’, the E.U isn’t and wasn’t. . EU Immigrants are the reason house prices when up, not the fact the government isn’t building enough homes, and regulating private housing. Immigrants were the reason the NHS is falling apart even though the government is underfunding and playing its part to downfall, even though immigrants are the reason the NHS started off /worked well and is still carrying on today ect ect, I’m not falling for that crock. Instead of this straw man referendum, we should address the real problem we have, such s the lack of house for young people, which is made worse every day by the Tories, not building enough house end selling more social housing, the NHS and its funding, education , the environment , so many real issues and were here spending hours research debating ND focusing on this strawman (though it is a needed debate, but for me really unimportant, on so many levels)

sorry about my grammar and spelling my keyboard is broken ( waiting for my new own) , I would go into the workers right, but you really should research it yourself since there’s too many to mention, and I can’t be asked if you don’t really care.

Lastly as much as I am somewhat of a liberal, authoritarianism doesn’t scare me or isn’t nasty word for me. Humans are disgusting things, the less power we have the better, since were all greedy and ruin anything good, that being said, who will have this power, but more humans, thus authoritarianism doesn’t work for me, though I don’t mind or care too much about it. Staying in the E.U has more gain more me personally than leaving thus for me it’s better, you have a different view, well vote and see what everyone thinks and well live with it. If the out win on unicorns and rainbows well be worse off, everyone knows this, but we also ll know leaving is pretty unlikely.

I have a lot to say and feel I haven’t said my views enough/ articulately (though you hve your mind set and i doubt i can change it ) . but my damn keyboard is broken and its takes more time than I wanted to write the above. Overall im in since its suits me better, like it suits you to go out. I have thought of other, as im sure you have, and for workers /the country and my generations In Is the best choice IMO.

ReputationRep:
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Democracy is overrated IMO, Are my views heard, not really … do i care not really... but overall democracy isn’t the main question here for me

and i could care less if we have less democracy...

Lastly as much as I am somewhat of a liberal, authoritarianism doesn’t scare me or isn’t nasty word for me. Humans are disgusting things, the less power we have the better, since were all greedy and ruin anything good.
    democracy is about the people deciding our laws in the sense that the people are rational and responsible enough to ultimately do it. if you don't think we should have a genuine democracy then that implies that everybody, including you, is too too stupid for it or to make an intelligent argument at all. so why should we listen to your opinion here, pleb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    democracy is about the people deciding our laws in the sense that the people are rational and responsible enough to ultimately do it. if you don't think we should have a genuine democracy then that implies that everybody, including you, is too too stupid for it or to make an intelligent argument at all. so why should we listen to your opinion here, pleb?
    I'm good with how it is, ''genuine'' democracy will change nothing and will bring nothing. what kind of democracy do we l live in now ? ..''genuine'' democracy is by far the greatest problem in britain even though good number of people don't vote, or care to.... What we need to worry about, in this country is how ''genuine'' democracy. In 15 year time after we overfish over sea, pollute our air and in a failing state, people will care about the ''genuine'' democracy we gained. this is one of the few leave argument they fall back on, as no side can prove the econ. you can have ''genuine'' democracy, when you and leavers explain how we will carry on with the E.U day 1 after the referendum if we leave. I'd rather stay in and ''reform'', if you want, than pretend everything will be unicorns and rainbows afterwards.
    I'd rather we stay how we are then go into further recession and uncertainty by leaving.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade.andrews2)
    Same! mostly due to hosuing prices; They predict if the house market keeps rising, you will have to earn £100,000 a year in order to afford a BASIC house/flat! I mean thats ridiculous! In order to own my own propety i will have to wait for my parents to die! im sorry but its the harsh reality.
    Housing prices are rising up too quickly IMO. A couple of months ago, I would've been able to buy a decent house an hour away from London. Now, I have to move 90 minutes away for the same house.

Honestly, if I don't act fast, I'll be joining the daily commuters from Manchester and Liverpool to London which is 2-3 hours one way. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Stay in

If we vote out, we will lose a lot of language teachers, my French teacher said if we leave the EU, he's going immediately because he doesn't want to apply for a work visa. If the UK doesn't want him there, then he'll just leave and he knows others who think the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by string210)
    Apparently according to paper's i've read recently it suggests alot of students are going to vote in, and the majority of brexiters are middle aged to pensioners.
    I'm personally a brexiter but apparently i'm in the minority. Also if we did vote to leave, who would be prime minister , david cameron or someone else?

So doing a few straw poll's because i'm interested so see if that's true.

David Cameron will still be PM until next elections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    what workers' rights are you even talking about? :| how is it about workers' rights when workers are less likely o find a job or get laid off via cheap workers from eastern europe? how is it about the workers when the corporations of europe (not just business but agriculture/fisheries) stop foreign competition, making consumers (whom are also workers) pay more for their goods?

also, you do realise the tories won't be in power forever, right? :| have some patience - you and everybody else can vote them out eventually. surely you can have *some* respect for democracy? why vote or more authoritarianism from overseas just because you're so selfish politically to deny people their electoral decision? if people want the tories, why do you think it's fair to vote for the EU to deny he party that this party itself voted for? that's appalling
    How about the working time directive? This directive guarantees that every worker has at least 4 weeks of paid holidays a year. Or how about the Pregnant workers and parental leave directives that guarantee leave for looking after children. And the various health and safety and pensions directives that stop employers from endangering lives of their employees.

If we left the EU then the Tories or whoever is in power would be allowed to change these at will, and while yes we could then vote them out our democracy isn't entirely fair or democratic (just look at last years election) the tories have a majority government but have less than 40% of the vote, if they wanted to remain in power they could bend the electoral rules to give them an edge (redraw boundaries, change spending limits etc.). On top of that the EU is fairly democratic when you look into the two ruling bodies. Too quickly summarise both bodies: the eu parliament is directly elected and each country being assigned a number of seats proportional to the population of each country. The commission isn't as democratic it is made up of the leaders of each country (David Cameron for the UK Francois Hollande for France etc) but the commission doesn't get to pass laws it can only suggest laws whereas the directly elected parliament passes laws.

Quick note the parliament also gets to veto the president of the commission. And sorry for the poor punctuation in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pmh1)
    How about the working time directive? This directive guarantees that every worker has at least 4 weeks of paid holidays a year. Or how about the Pregnant workers and parental leave directives that guarantee leave for looking after children.
    We had that in the 1930s, ****ing Chamberlain passed it and as far as I recall he wasn't some sort of time travelling EU member.

The EU hasn't given us anything we didn't already have because Britain was a world leader in workers rights, the poor european states were far more behind on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    I will be voting out.

French can't live without our cheese.
    Germany cannot live with out our car purchases from them.

Do you think that we will die when we leave? Nope we will probably be better off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.