Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Those syrian refugees don't have that safe space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinny1900)
    How so?
    You can either be a migrant or a refugee

You can't be both hence oxymoron

ReputationRep:
    Those syrian refugees don't have that safe space.
    Turkey is next door and a few safe countries are but a donkey ride away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Turkey is next door and a few safe countries are but a donkey ride away.
    Why should Turkey take them?

ReputationRep:
    Why should Turkey take them?
    Because they are their neighbours and those fleeing are only looking for shelter until the issue has been resolved right (this is the definition of a refugee)

But odd you ask why turkey should take them but reprimand us for not.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are their neighbours and those fleeing are only looking for shelter until the issue has been resolved right (this is the definition of a refugee)

It's good to live on an island, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainhuman)
    It's good to live on an island, right?
    We still have neighbouring countries so not sure of your point.

ReputationRep:
    Peace in Syria.

A power sharing agreement that gives autonomy to the Sunnis and Kurdis, protection to minorities such as the Christians and Druze, but with the central government, provisionally, still under Alawite rule, although preferably not Assad.

ReputationRep:

Turkey didn't invade their country.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey didn't invade their country.
    Nor did we.

ReputationRep:
    Nor did we.
    You're talking out of your arse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34989302

ReputationRep:
    You're talking out of your arse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34989302
    It seems your geopolitical knowledge is even worse than your economic knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Civil_War

I'd offer more challenging sources as this is an academic forum but fear your head would explode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    People aren't going stop coming (or attempt to come) to Europe for the foreseeable future. What do we do about it? It can't be sustainable just to have large volumes of people wandering around the continent. Do we resettle them all in Europe? Do we send them back? Do we create more camps? Do we try and share the burden across Europe?

What's your view?
    We need to build a wall and we need to build it quickly.

Who's the greatest builder? Me, and I will build the greatest wall you have ever seen.

And in that wall we will have a large beautiful door where migrants can cross legally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Peace in Syria.

A power sharing agreement that gives autonomy to the Sunnis and Kurdis, protection to minorities such as the Christians and Druze, but with the central government, provisionally, still under Alawite rule, although preferably not Assad.
    No we need to kill every last rebel (i.e. terrorist) until they are nothing but dust, we need burn every ISIS member and give power to Assad so they submit to his command and stability can reign over Syria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omen96)
    No we need to kill every last rebel (i.e. terrorist) until they are nothing but dust, we need burn every ISIS member and give power to Assad so they submit to his command and stability can reign over Syria
    Vladimir, is that you? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Vladimir, is that you? :lol:
    Vladimir Putin is the only one who has acted rational in this crisis. Maybe you prefer the western away, oops Iraq, oops Libya, oops Afghanistan, oops Pakistan, oops we gave weapons to terrorists. Here is a little newsflash for you western imperialists. The west is not a saint nor a model to follow. The west is consumed with lies and corruption which has seen the middle east turn into a hell hole. I suggest you get your western hands out your western A-hole and look at the wider picture before believing every story piece propaganda that comes out of America and Europe.

But then again it was people like you who gave us Tony Blair so you are all about the WMDs arnet you ?

ReputationRep:
    De-centralize both government and bank

ReputationRep:
    Vladimir Putin is the only one who has acted rational in this crisis. Maybe you prefer the western away, oops Iraq, oops Libya, oops Afghanistan, oops Pakistan, oops we gave weapons to terrorists. Here is a little newsflash for you western imperialists. The west is not a saint nor a model to follow. The west is consumed with lies and corruption which has seen the middle east turn into a hell hole. I suggest you get your western hands out your western A-hole and look at the wider picture before believing every story piece propaganda that comes out of America and Europe.

But then again it was people like you who gave us Tony Blair so you are all about the WMDs arnet you ?
    :O

True the West is not perfect. But to conclude that because something is not perfect the opposite must be good...

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    That aside you are right. Putin acted rationally in his national interests to keep Russian access to the Mediterranean and secure the position of a key ally in the Middle East, well drawing Western attention away from Ukraine and rounding up support amongst the Russian people. A fine display of Realpolitik if I ever saw one.

And yes, Western policy has, of late, been largely disastrous in the Middle East. Neo-conservatism was flawed in believing democracy can be installed in the Middle East, and that the proliferation of western democracy can be achieved solely through armed conflict. Iraq and Libya were perfect examples of the effectiveness of Western military intervention and the utter failure of Western diplomacy. Given the circumstances I think that ISAF did reasonably well in Afghanistan, the fact a very fragile government in Kabul with a terrible security force has remained in power up until now is promising. Whether it last longer than the Soviet installed government is a question for time however. Still not worth the price of that long an intervention though, and strategically flawed in it's initial goal as terrorists are non-conventional actors, and very mobile, able to spring up somewhere else i.e. Iraq, Somalia, Yemen and Pakistan. As for Pakistan, well I believe the Pakistanis are more responsible than anyone else for that the state of that nation. As for the Obama administration's handling of Syria and Libya, it was quite frankly embarrassing.

However at the same time the West has propped up it's Sunni allies, strengthened the position of Israel and brought Iran into the fold. Don't mistake the loss of a bishop and a few pawns to a check mate.

Although West isn't perfect, I prefer it to the gross human rights violations, broadlight croynism and sad posturing of other states.

And believe it or not I never bought into the pretext of weapons of mass destruction, not that it even matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainhuman)
    :O

True the West is not perfect. But to conclude that because something is not perfect the opposite must be good...
    Do you want another failed American enforced system on Syria or a Russian one that works? Assad is key to stability, attempts to oust him will lead to war. Help him win, give him full control, Syrians can return to a stable Syria where terror is kept in check. It's that or the American way (and please tell how often the American way has worked?)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.