Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I'm really interested in seeing whether TSR users are actually in touch with what opportunities there are career wise for their degrees and whether they have accurate expectations of entry level pay. My experience on here has been that people assume that say, any STEM degree will lead to 'high pay' but they never really qualify this statement nor do they express which jobs they are talking about.

So without further ado:

Degree:
    Jobs/Careers of Interest:
    Graduate Salary Expected:
    GG
    jewellery trade
    £80,000-£250,000 PA
    upto £5,000,000 PA possible
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    Yeah... no. It doesn't take a genuis to work out that there aren't enough high paying jobs in the country for everyone graduating with a great degree to be on high wages.

I'm doing civil engineering. It's perfectly reasonable for me to aim for a first and a great graduate scheme at one of the top employers in the country. That's called ambition. But for me to say i can REALISTICALLY expect 50k right away on the assumption that I'll get that specific job is deluded. There's nothing realistic about it. Chances are low but I'd want to work hard and aim high.

And your 2nd paragraph must be aimed at someone else. That's essentislly what the person I was replying to was doing. It was basically:

"Lol how can you expect 30k right out of uni? That's exactly what i was talking about. How deluded! You don't even know what job (Despite the guy basically saying a job)"

"Oh by the way. I expect 50k + massive bonuses. It's realitic because I knew what I wanted since I was X years old. Unlike you guys who decided late."

Ok mate. He sounds like one of those people who starts their CV with "ever since i was (insert age here), I've always wanted to do ______)"

What type of person puts people down for aiming too high then has the audacity to say their wages will be massive with no prior experience because a big company will hire them.

Then he makes himself look like a bigger dummy by saying it's because IB isn't broad so they're all focused onto that high paying job?? Which by the way isn't even true. Just like engineering, it's a versatile qualification. But if it was true then it'd lower his chances even more.

He has no idea what he's talking about. He just rambled because someone called him out and he got embarassed.
    You keep writing so much BS it's unbearable. I've never uttered the word 'deluded' towards someone on this thread, even so, I've actually said it's great said person is aiming high but at least state a job example rather than just a salary. Which he then did and I acknowledged it. Yes, because 'idk' is a job..

I'm aiming for a job with a set level of compensation across the board. In my post I even attached the differing salary expectations to differing jobs. Where in the world did I say I expect someone to just hand me £50k for my degree? I stated the market rate salary + bonus for a very competitive career. Sure if I don't get it, I'd end up in another gig getting paid a different salary - but that's not the point.

IB isn't a qualification. It's a job, there are about 1-2k front office entry level IBers every year, all mostly earning around the same salary (bonus differs), a.k.a it's a very small job field.

Dude, you're the one speaking complete rubbish here and also putting words into my mouth that I've never uttered.. I really don't see the point in arguing with someone who thinks a generalist job (which hires from all degree types) is a qualification nor someone who believes you'd magically get paid less if you landed said job because it's 'competitive' Let me repeat it to you: if I don't get an IB job, I don't get IB pay.

You keep making all these arguments on threads when you don't realise the stuff you're even saying is oftentimes not accurate. If you're going to 'call me out' at least do it accurately, instead of lying.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... no. It doesn't take a genuis to work out that there aren't enough high paying jobs in the country for everyone graduating with a great degree to be on high wages.

I'm doing civil engineering. It's perfectly reasonable for me to aim for a first and a great graduate scheme at one of the top employers in the country. That's called ambition. But for me to say i can REALISTICALLY expect 50k right away on the assumption that I'll get that specific job is deluded. There's nothing realistic about it. Chances are low but I'd want to work hard and aim high.
    Sure, there aren't enough high paying jobs in the country. But if you're smart, capable, and confident, and you accrue the proper experience, it may very well be realistic for you to expect the career, or the money, you want. That's not the same as claiming you have a 100% chance, but there's nothing wrong, or necessarily unrealistic, about having a high level of confidence in your abilities.

What type of person puts people down for aiming too high then has the audacity to say their wages will be massive with no prior experience because a big company will hire them.

Then he makes himself look like a bigger dummy by saying it's because IB isn't broad so they're all focused onto that high paying job?? Which by the way isn't even true. Just like engineering, it's a versatile qualification. But if it was true then it'd lower his chances even more.

He has no idea what he's talking about. He just rambled because someone called him out and he got embarassed.
    Well, fair enough. I didn't read the entire thread closely and it may be unfair for me to have directed that comment specifically at you. It's just a general trend that winds me up in careers threads.

There really is a certain type of bitter TSR graduate, for instance, who comes to these threads to laugh at students who have any aspirations at all, on the assumption that, because they had no idea what they were doing and ended up unemployed or in retail, so will the others.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)

Well, fair enough.
    It's not fair enough though.. Being accused of putting people down is grossly unfair, anyone who has read this thread would know I've only responded with information or to extract more information (in the case of asking that initial second poster to elaborate on which jobs they were aiming for) from others. As an ambitious person myself, I encourage people to aim for tangible goals.

It's what pisses me off about this site sometimes. People like Lawliettt parade around commencing debates or confrontations based on ill-informed opinions, without so much as acknowledging once that they might not be correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Sure, there aren't enough high paying jobs in the country. But if you're smart, capable, and confident, and you accrue the proper experience, it may very well be realistic for you to expect the career, or the money, you want. That's not the same as claiming you have a 100% chance, but there's nothing wrong, or necessarily unrealistic, about having a high level of confidence in your abilities.
    Especially on a forum like this, where the general populous is comprised of neurotic A-type overachievers, it's incredibly likely relative to the general student population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hra)
    Degree: optometry
    Career of interest : no clue but i plan to got back to uni to do psychology (yh idk why either)
    Expected starting salary: 30k min

my mum has gotten my uncle to get me a job in optometry; anyone know of a way i can say no without her finding out?? i have a deep hatred for the field.
    Do anything you can to persuade your parents to let you reject the job offer. If you don't want to do optometry, don't do it. It's an awful job anyway- the pay is pretty bad, there is not much prestige and the work seems repetitive. Honestly, it's not worth to- there is so much better stuff you could do- any of the general grad schemes for example.

ReputationRep:
    It's not fair enough though..
    I wasn't meaning to endorse any comment on your posting, fwiw. What I said was pretty non-committal.

ReputationRep:
    It's not fair enough though.. Being accused of putting people down is grossly unfair, anyone who has read this thread would know I've only responded with information or to extract more information (in the case of asking that initial second poster to elaborate on which jobs they were aiming for) from others. As an ambitious person myself, I encourage people to aim for tangible goals.

It's what pisses me off about this site sometimes. People like Lawliettt parade around commencing debates or confrontations based on ill-informed opinions, without so much as acknowledging once that they might not be correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest I get it all the time too. Though for differing reasons.

People for some reason or another or always take my comments as if I'm angry or something, no idea why....I'm never angry on this website. I mean it's a website for crying out loud. If it was making me angry I'd just log off, not hard.

Or people interpreting my comments or advice as me being bitter or that I think I'm the best...I really just don't. Anyone who actually pays any attention to my general sense of self knows I have as much confidence in myself as a street turd.

Some people just love to hate others. I wouldn't let it get to you, I just laugh it off now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    To be honest I get it all the time too. Though for differing reasons.

People for some reason or another or always take my comments as if I'm angry or something, no idea why....I'm never angry on this website. I mean it's a website for crying out loud. If it was making me angry I'd just log off, not hard.

Or people interpreting my comments or advice as me being bitter or that I think I'm the best...I really just don't. Anyone who actually pays any attention to my general sense of self knows I have as much confidence in myself as a street turd.

Some people just love to hate others. I wouldn't let it get to you, I just laugh it off now.
    Thanks, glad to know I'm not the only one to notice this!

I think it's a mix of the level of miscommunication via text, assumptions being made and pride.. That mix results in people not wanting to stop and think for a second about what they're actually typing up.

It's a pain tbh.. Even if I try to point it out (and I have had people point out when I'm doing this, which I'm grateful for) all I get is a brick wall. So I think what you said about ignoring them is great advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've only responded with information or to extract more information (in the case of asking that initial second poster to elaborate on which jobs they were aiming for) from others.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh

Case in point.. Ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Great informative response there buddy. Continue waffling rubbish all over the thread if it makes you feel better. While you're at it you should google the definition of realistic because clearly there's a misunderstanding.

Honestly feels like I'm talking to a 14 year old who googled top 10 degrees, saw IB then made a student forum account. The sad that thing is you've acknowledged the point multiple times yet you're continuing to be stubborn. A job having a high salary doesn't always mean expecting a job offer with that salary right out of uni is likely

"Someone in an IB grad scheme gets an IB salary". Well no ****. I haven't said otherwise. Someone in a Balfour Beatty grad scheme for civil engineering gets a higher than average salary for new engineers. Doesn't make walking out if uni and expecting the offer realistic. You work for it. Simply look at the amount of people graduating from IB (or anything closely related) per year then compare it to the amount of job openings for graduates (which you claim to be around 1k)

Goodness. It's astonishing how there's people on here that think like you do then still have the audacity to put people expecting lower salaries down.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh

Great informative response there buddy. Continue waffling rubbish all over the thread if it makes you feel better. While you're at it you should google the definition of realistic because clearly there's a misunderstanding.

Honestly feels like I'm talking to a 14 year old who googled top 10 degrees, saw IB then made a student forum account. The sad that thing is you've acknowledged the point multiple times yet you're continuing to be stubborn. A job having a high salary doesn't always mean expecting a job offer with that salary right out of uni is likely

"Someone in an IB grad scheme gets an IB salary". Well no ****. I haven't said otherwise. Someone in a Balfour Beatty grad scheme for civil engineering gets a higher than average salary for new engineers. Doesn't make walking out if uni and expecting the offer realistic. You work for it.

Goodness. It's astonishing how there's people on here that think like you do then still have the audacity to put people expecting lower salaries down.
    Yep, you didn't read the thread..

I'm gonna add you to the good ol ignore list, because you didn't take the time to even read what I've said. Goodbye mate, go take your attitude elsewhere.

Have a good life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyopinionbaby)
    Degree: Economics and Politics
    Jobs/Careers of interest: Dictator over the free world.
    Graduate salary expected: However much the Dictator over the free world make (£200000?)
    (looks like i have competition)

ReputationRep:
    Something for you guys to look at.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/glassd...-the-uk-2016-5
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ras' Al Ghul)
    Something for you guys to look at.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/glassd...-the-uk-2016-5
    Pretty good list, but they've averaged wages across all seniority levels so not the most accurate for uni goers. Thanks for the link

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My qualifications are in computing, but I've since realised that I have no desire to work with computers for the rest of my life :lol: Atm I plan on getting into personal training or bodybuilding/physique coaching somewhere down the line, but the courses to get the qualifications required are pretty short anyway so when I'm ready to get into that side of things then I should be able to make it work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    My qualifications are in computing, but I've since realised that I have no desire to work with computers for the rest of my life :lol: Atm I plan on getting into personal training or bodybuilding/physique coaching somewhere down the line, but the courses to get the qualifications required are pretty short anyway so when I'm ready to get into that side of things then I should be able to make it work.
    You have a computer science degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    Nursing
    Nurse

I researched my career and I'm not deluded like 99% of people on here - most will probs end up in recruitment or doing PPI call centre jobs on 12K with a useless degree and when they realize they've ruined their life with an English lit degree (or whatever) they'll go and do TEFL and work in Asia for a bit until returning and working in Tesco. Just speaking the truth. Nothing wrong with any of those jobs btw but that's not what they set out to do is it and they're not worth going to uni for.

Too many overqualified shelf stackers - kids need to be a lot more informed before investing 3 years and thousands of pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    having worked with many older nurses, matrons included - your futures not too bright (i'm honestly shocked some of them needed a degree to do their job).

ReputationRep:
    subject : natural sciences
    métier - finance
    salary - starting 45k min

ReputationRep:
    Degree: MSci Computer Science (maybe do MSc or MEng year in Software Engineering)
    Jobs/Careers of Interest: Software Engineering, Cyber (Security) Engineering
    Graduate Salary Expected: £26-33k

ReputationRep:

And your 2nd paragraph must be aimed at someone else. That's essentislly what the person I was replying to was doing. It was basically:

"Lol how can you expect 30k right out of uni? That's exactly what i was talking about. How deluded! You don't even know what job (Despite the guy basically saying a job)"

"Oh by the way. I expect 50k + massive bonuses. It's realitic because I knew what I wanted since I was X years old. Unlike you guys who decided late."

Ok mate. He sounds like one of those people who starts their CV with "ever since i was (insert age here), I've always wanted to do ______)"

You literally know nothing about IB or Princepieman, he's one of the most grounded members on these forums and has a clear plan of where he wants to go and what he wants to earn.

Generally when someone talks about ibd they're talking about FO i.e. Revenue generating and yes every single one of these positions are highly paid. It's not anywhere near as broad as pursuing a career in civil engineering.

Legitimately curious as to what type of qualification IB is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.