Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes same! I didn't have a clue until all the twitter posts came up about it afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it would be very hard to compare the similarities if the first poem was about prostitution...😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pip.h.23)
    How were we meant to infer that the In Cardigan Market poem was about a prostitute?????????? Without context that is extremely difficult especially as it's talking about how much she stinks of fish!! I thought she was just very dedicated to being a fish monger

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I wrote that this poem inferred about a brothel and prostitutes due to the way the fish were described and how men were described as coming from morn till night. Nobody is wrong in a sense because you can interpret the poems in whatever way you like aslong as you had evidence

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA HHAHAHAHHHH you're joking right? PROSTITUTES? how are you meant to infer that from a poem which talked about a fat woman smelling of fish smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrh7)
    Well, I wrote that this poem inferred about a brothel and prostitutes due to the way the fish were described and how men were described as coming from morn till night. Nobody is wrong in a sense because you can interpret the poems in whatever way you like aslong as you had evidence
    Didn't this same thing happen last year with City Lilacs and Hews farms (2015). Where people thought the same about prostitution but it was proven to be incorrect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanner)
    not gonna lie but i love english literature so much taht was the best exam ever i love engliafojhsflsghkjdh

the poems weren't that dank but ichat a load of ****

edit: apparently it was abt prostitution? hmm there goes my confidence i didn't think of that i think i took it too literally

RIP A*.
    omg same

(Original post by emmerneedshelp)
    omg same
    gonna fail rip

all because auntie jane's a prozzy and i was too innocent to realise

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was an okay exam... Until I read twitter about Auntie Jane being a prostitute, like what the hell? An exam for 15/16 year olds about prostitutes, what a joke! Anyway time to forget and move on, OCR gateway B Biology on wednesday but mainly the 2nd English literature exam this friday, predictions on Heros and Inspector calls please thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jade_on_tsr)
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!! What did you type in google?!
    You just have to put speech marks around the title "in cardigan market"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    gonna fail rip

and gregs gay fk sake man

(Original post by emmerneedshelp)
    and gregs gay fk sake man
    oh my god i didnt realise this.

((

ReputationRep:
    oh my god i didnt realise this.

((
    i didn't either until about 20 mins ago lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophFlorence)
    Yeah, not bad at all actually! I know right, is it really true or what?
    I don't know which essay did you choose ?

ReputationRep:
    gonna fail rip

I don't think anyone really noticed. We are all too innocent. But how is it true ? Proof ?

ReputationRep:
    My sister came home moaning about it so i read it through and thought the poem was about a boat could be wrong though Either way that poem was hard af

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    I don't know which essay did you choose ?
    The Lennie one! You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophFlorence)
    The Lennie one! You?
    Same !! What did you include ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamer_44)
    Didn't this same thing happen last year with City Lilacs and Hews farms (2015). Where people thought the same about prostitution but it was proven to be incorrect?
    You don't know that. You can't say someone is wrong or going to be incorrect when poetry can be interpreted in so many ways. What about if it is right and everyone is shaming the idea and the original interpretation gets them an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrh7)
    You don't know that. You can't say someone is wrong or going to be incorrect when poetry can be interpreted in so many ways. What about if it is right and everyone is shaming the idea and the original interpretation gets them an A*
    But there is no right or wrong answer tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Same !! What did you include ?
    I said he's seen as child-like, which is shown in the quotes: "red, blue and green rabbits" and the fact that he "droned to himself softly when George told him to remain quiet around the boss. I linked this to society in 1930s America because it shows both the struggle of men with disabilities in such a society of violence, and how fantasy-like the American dream is/was.

Then I talked about the fact that he's innocent and vulnerable. For this, I used the quote: "was still smiling with delight in memory of the ranch" in spite of Curley having entered the room. I linked this with society in that it links to Herbert Hoover Smillete posters with the message "smile away the great depression", so maybe Steinbeck is insinuating the idea that society wasn't doing enough to lift America out of the Great Depression.

Finally I mentioned the fact that he's unique, through "I seen your light", when he entered Crooks' room. This could show that he, unlike the other men, is able to see Crooks' inner goodness, as symbolised by "light". However, it could also show how they are equal in terms of social standing, in which case Steinbeck is heavily hinting at just how badly MANY people were treated at the time.

Obviously wrote more than that, but yeah.

How about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.