The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Yes same! I didn't have a clue until all the twitter posts came up about it afterwards!
Yeah, it would be very hard to compare the similarities if the first poem was about prostitution...😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 322
Original post by pip.h.23
How were we meant to infer that the In Cardigan Market poem was about a prostitute?????????? Without context that is extremely difficult especially as it's talking about how much she stinks of fish!! I thought she was just very dedicated to being a fish monger

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I wrote that this poem inferred about a brothel and prostitutes due to the way the fish were described and how men were described as coming from morn till night. Nobody is wrong in a sense because you can interpret the poems in whatever way you like aslong as you had evidence
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHH you're joking right? PROSTITUTES? how are you meant to infer that from a poem which talked about a fat woman smelling of fish smh
Original post by mrh7
Well, I wrote that this poem inferred about a brothel and prostitutes due to the way the fish were described and how men were described as coming from morn till night. Nobody is wrong in a sense because you can interpret the poems in whatever way you like aslong as you had evidence

Didn't this same thing happen last year with City Lilacs and Hews farms (2015). Where people thought the same about prostitution but it was proven to be incorrect?
:colone:
Original post by zanner
not gonna lie but i love english literature so much taht was the best exam ever i love engliafojhsflsghkjdh

the poems weren't that dank but ichat a load of ****

edit: apparently it was abt prostitution? hmm there goes my confidence i didn't think of that i think i took it too literally

RIP A*.

omg same
Reply 326
Original post by emmerneedshelp
omg same

gonna fail rip

all because auntie jane's a prozzy and i was too innocent to realise
Thought it was an okay exam... Until I read twitter about Auntie Jane being a prostitute, like what the hell? An exam for 15/16 year olds about prostitutes, what a joke! Anyway time to forget and move on, OCR gateway B Biology on wednesday but mainly the 2nd English literature exam this friday, predictions on Heros and Inspector calls please thanks

:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 328
Original post by jade_on_tsr
Thank you!!!!!!!!!! What did you type in google?!

You just have to put speech marks around the title "in cardigan market"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zanner
gonna fail rip

and gregs gay fk sake man
Reply 330
Original post by emmerneedshelp
and gregs gay fk sake man

oh my god i didnt realise this.

:frown:((
Original post by zanner
oh my god i didnt realise this.

:frown:((

i didn't either until about 20 mins ago lmao
Original post by SophFlorence
Yeah, not bad at all actually! I know right, is it really true or what? :biggrin:

I don't know which essay did you choose ?
Original post by zanner
gonna fail rip

I don't think anyone really noticed. We are all too innocent. But how is it true ? Proof ?
My sister came home moaning about it so i read it through and thought the poem was about a boat could be wrong though :tongue: Either way that poem was hard af
Original post by nisha.sri
I don't know which essay did you choose ?

The Lennie one! You?
Original post by SophFlorence
The Lennie one! You?

Same !! What did you include ?
Reply 337
Original post by Gamer_44
Didn't this same thing happen last year with City Lilacs and Hews farms (2015). Where people thought the same about prostitution but it was proven to be incorrect?
:colone:

You don't know that. You can't say someone is wrong or going to be incorrect when poetry can be interpreted in so many ways. What about if it is right and everyone is shaming the idea and the original interpretation gets them an A*
Original post by mrh7
You don't know that. You can't say someone is wrong or going to be incorrect when poetry can be interpreted in so many ways. What about if it is right and everyone is shaming the idea and the original interpretation gets them an A*

But there is no right or wrong answer tbh :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Same !! What did you include ?

I said he's seen as child-like, which is shown in the quotes: "red, blue and green rabbits" and the fact that he "droned to himself softly when George told him to remain quiet around the boss. I linked this to society in 1930s America because it shows both the struggle of men with disabilities in such a society of violence, and how fantasy-like the American dream is/was.

Then I talked about the fact that he's innocent and vulnerable. For this, I used the quote: "was still smiling with delight in memory of the ranch" in spite of Curley having entered the room. I linked this with society in that it links to Herbert Hoover Smillete posters with the message "smile away the great depression", so maybe Steinbeck is insinuating the idea that society wasn't doing enough to lift America out of the Great Depression.

Finally I mentioned the fact that he's unique, through "I seen your light", when he entered Crooks' room. This could show that he, unlike the other men, is able to see Crooks' inner goodness, as symbolised by "light". However, it could also show how they are equal in terms of social standing, in which case Steinbeck is heavily hinting at just how badly MANY people were treated at the time.

Obviously wrote more than that, but yeah.

How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending