Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Why do you think studying stem would not make someone creative? Lots of creative people have studied stem like Arthur C Clarke and Arthur Conan Doyle.
    Well, why do you think studying non stem means you cannot find the cure for cancer? Nothing is impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    My daughter has already told me she has no interest in science, I'm cool with that.
    So why are you still being negative about non stem?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    Why don't you ask a cancer patient what they think is more important to them?
    Yes, cancer patients can enact value judgements upon all academic disciplines in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Have you tried to cure cancer with English Lit?
    have you tried to cure cancer with theoretical astrophysics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Well, why do you think studying non stem means you cannot find the cure for cancer? Nothing is impossible
    Do you have any examples of non stem people working in cancer research?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    have you tried to cure cancer with theoretical astrophysics?
    I am sure there is a cross over between astrophysics and cancer. For example, both make use of particle physics, which is important to medical imaging and nuclear medicine like proton therapy.

ReputationRep:
    So why are you still being negative about non stem?
    For their own good. My daughter wants to do law, not work in a coffee bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Why do you keep bringing up cancer research? Nothing makes cancer research more important than any other field. Of course, it's important but you're just using it to try and suggest that STEM students are somehow more important to society when 1) not everyone wants to cure cancer or improve lives 2) Non-stem is useful in a number of different ways: we need to understand how politics works, how the economy works, what laws have been made... these are all important. And guess what, there are people without STEM degrees who have self taught genetics and started biotech companies and there are people with non-STEM degrees who have become rich and donated to charities that are involved in cancer research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes, cancer patients can enact value judgements upon all academic disciplines in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They certainly can, patients and their relatives are active in raising money for cancer charities and advocating for more resources from government. Not many have asked for a poem or a novel about cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I am sure there is a cross over between astrophysics and cancer. For example, both make use of particle physics, which is important to medical imaging and nuclear medicine like proton therapy.
    marginal, and there's probably some overlap with a bunch of non-STEM degrees anyway

besides, the whole premise is dumb af. what are we trying to say, that something is 'better' if it cures cancer and not if it doesn't? ridiculous. it's quite obvious that what is 'better' depends completely on what the purpose is. like, ipods are pretty ****ing awesome right? better than hammers aye? but if you want to put up your ikea flatpack, your ipod is not going to help you. hammers are better for that than ipods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Why do you keep bringing up cancer research? Nothing makes cancer research more important than any other field. Of course, it's important but you're just using it to try and suggest that STEM students are somehow more important to society when 1) not everyone wants to cure cancer or improve lives 2) Non-stem is useful in a number of different ways: we need to understand how politics works, how the economy works, what laws have been made... these are all important. And guess what, there are people without STEM degrees who have self taught genetics and started biotech companies and there are people with non-STEM degrees who have become rich and donated to charities that are involved in cancer research.
    I can understand why farting about working in a coffee shop is so much more important that saving people from a painful lingering death. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    marginal, and there's probably some overlap with a bunch of non-STEM degrees anyway

besides, the whole premise is dumb af. what are we trying to say, that something is 'better' if it cures cancer and not if it doesn't? ridiculous. it's quite obvious that what is 'better' depends completely on what the purpose is. like, ipods are pretty ****ing awesome right? better than hammers aye? but if you want to put up your ikea flatpack, your ipod is not going to help you. hammers are better for that than ipods
    How do you know its marginal? Do you know how many non stem people have advanced cancer research?

Most ikea furniture comes with an Allen key, not a hammer, get your facts right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Your previous comment proved that you don't have to work in a particular field to be good at it, right?

If someone who doesn't work in cancer research were to find the cure, would they be dismissed/rejected on the basis that they didn't study stem at uni? Or would the world not just be ecstatic that someone has discovered something that can save millions of lives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    How do you know its marginal?
    Because general relativity has **** all to do with cancer therapy

Do you know how many non stem people have advanced cancer research?
    no

please respond to the rest of my post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I can understand why farting about working in a coffee shop is so much more important that saving people from a painful lingering death. My bad.
    You do realise that many people do non-STEM subjects and end up in fields like law, accounting, banking which pay very good salaries? Most graduate employers really don't care about your degree subject.

And stop trying to guilt non-STEM students into thinking that they are useless and that you're somehow more useful than them because you happen to be interested in curing diseases- not everyone wants to cure diseases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    For their own good. My daughter wants to do law, not work in a coffee bar.
    I really hope your ignorance isn't genetic. Studying anything other than law means you'll end up in a coffee bar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    You do realise that many people do non-STEM subjects and end up in fields like law, accounting, banking which pay very good salaries? Most graduate employers really don't care about your degree subject.

And stop trying to guilt non-STEM students into thinking that they are useless and that you're somehow more useful than them because you happen to be interested in curing diseases- not everyone wants to cure diseases.
    You can also earn big money in drug dealing, prostituition and money laundering and most criminals don't care about your degree subject..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You can also earn big money in drug dealing, prostituition and money laundering and most criminals don't care about your degree subject..
    Are you trolling?

ReputationRep:
    I really hope your ignorance isn't genetic. Studying anything other than law means you'll end up in a coffee bar?
    Of course not, you can also work in a bar, fast food outlet or parking enforcement. Thats just an example silly.

ReputationRep:
    Are you trolling?
    No, are you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.