Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Then they're an absolute discredit to everyone who has fought for years on this issue. It is not a choice. You can choose to engage in sexual practices with people but not who you are inately attracted to.

No they didn't. I thought so originally myself but marriage had different benefits.
    So give civil partnerships the same benefits as traditional marriages -> problem solved. There was never any need to ruffle everyone's feathers and cause massive divides in society.

ReputationRep:
    technically I suppose so - I support every adult's right to get married to literally whoever they want to.
    but I'm not in favour of the government regulating or monopolising the marriage industry - if you want to get married, yo shouldn't need the government's permission or subsidy/encouragement - it should be totally private and not legal. everything to do with kids is different - you don't need marriage to have children protected.

but yeah, for the sake of this relative argument - yes - I completely support gay marriage while we have this format of marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    So give civil partnerships the same benefits as traditional marriages -> problem solved. There was never any need to ruffle everyone's feathers and cause massive divides in society.
    They already have marriage. The problem has BEEN solved. Why are you bothered?

ReputationRep:
    There was no need for those feathers to be ruffled in the first place; marriage is not a religious right. It is a secular, legal, issue and Churches are not forced to perform gay marriages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    They already have marriage. The problem has BEEN solved. Why are you bothered?
    That's what I'm saying. They already had marriage anyway so the whole thing was unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm saying. They already had marriage anyway so the whole thing was unnecessary.
    They didn't always have marriage. But they do now, so what's your problem dud? The problem has been solved. No use complaining.

ReputationRep:
    i hate marriage, whether it be straight or gay. doesn't mean I'm against it though, people can do their own thing. its just not for me.

so yes i support it!

ReputationRep:
    Or just make them one?

It's making the law verbose.

What about opposite-sex partners who don't want to be associated with the institution of marriage / prefers the term civil partnership, but can't because civil partnerships discriminate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rehmanator)
    i am personally pro love and if anyone wants to love someone who are we to stop that, however the physical act itself opposes Darwinian evolution and our altruistic behaviour as humans. fifty gay people on an island in 100 years most likely extinct. whereas "straight" people would produce offspring fulfilling the cycle of life.
    There are theories that having a small percentage of the population being gay is actually an evolutionary advantage.

ReputationRep:
    So something had to change and you see changing legislation to extend pension rights (I believe this was a big point) and have a magical transformation clause that said that if you changed sex while staying with your partner it would just change from a marriage to civil partnership or vice versa as being the way forward because this *****ing about semantics is wasting government time...

And we still have the issue that should you disclose your marital status as someone who is in a civil partnership the person you've disclosed to knows you're in a same sex relationship and may discriminate against you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sad_core)
    I'm saying...I love you. Marry me.
    Don't you dare say that to me. I'm not gay, mate.

ReputationRep:
    I support Equality, so yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieacraig)
    i hate marriage, whether it be straight or gay. doesn't mean I'm against it though, people can do their own thing. its just not for me.

so yes i support it!
    I agree, it seems like a scam these days!

ReputationRep:
    ppl chose to be gay loooooooool, i find it funny how some ppl say they're 'born gay'

ReputationRep:
    Call me God, but free will can't be changed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    I know it is already legal in the UK but I was wondering what people thought about the issue.
    Yes because I'm not an idiot and prejudice correlates with stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADGWrigley)
    Yes because I'm not an idiot and prejudice correlates with stupidity.
    No need to offend people here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imran_)
    ppl chose to be gay loooooooool, i find it funny how some ppl say they're 'born gay'
    When did you choose to be straight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    No need to offend people here.
    ****ing LOL. No need to offend the massive number of people who have been murdered because of their sexuality. Yes I will offend prejudiced ***** that are of base levels of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADGWrigley)
    ****ing LOL. No need to offend the massive number of people who have been murdered because of their sexuality. Yes I will offend prejudiced ***** that are of base levels of intelligence.
    You can be a genius and still hold misguided views. Look at Ben Carson. Possibly the world's best neurosurgeon in his day, yet he doesn't believe in evolution.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.