Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I voted leave, but I think we'll stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hendrix Lives)
    Excellent article,especially the bit re Cameron.
    There is one thing in the article that is disingenuous. He refers to Norwegians paying only £106 per head for the EU.

The UK only pays about £132 a head for membership of the EU.

If given the choice, would you pay £106 to sit in the back row of the gods behind a pillar when for £132 you could sit in the front row of the dress circle and get to meet Mr Juncker backstage?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There is one thing in the article that is disingenuous. He refers to Norwegians paying only £106 per head for the EU.

If given the choice, would you pay £106 to sit in the back row of the gods behind a pillar when for £132 you could sit in the front row of the dress circle and get to meet Mr Juncker backstage?
    Well well well. I did not know that. FFS why aren't the Remain team making that very point...?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It will go like the idea of Scottish Independence. We will definitely remain.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly your pregogative to vote to leave but the reason I quoted Johnson was how can you trust him after ruining the London housing and saying the NHS is losing £350 million a week,(it's actually £250 million,) and he is also wrong about the economy,check what the Times is saying,they're not telling porkies,it will cripple our financial status for years.
    I question whether he actually gives a crap about the EU. All I see is a man that desperately wants to be in No.10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Well well well. I did not know that. FFS why aren't the Remain team making that very point...?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really don't know.

Beyond a certain size numbers become meaningless. All you can do is reduce them to manageable proportions or forget numbers entirely and say bigger than or smaller than.

Journalists and PR departments' know this. That is why areas of land aren't expressed in hectares or acres but in football pitches, linear distance is measured in double decker buses and large volumes are compared with St Paul's Cathedral.

ReputationRep:

I might be wrong but didn't Norway,Switzerland and Luxembourg all have a referendum to see if they would like to be members of the E.U. or not and they all said no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    I question whether he actually gives a crap about the EU. All I see is a man that desperately wants to be in No.10
    This to me will end up being 'The night of the long knives,' and there will a lot of recriminations on both sides,it may even benefit the New Labour Party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    It will go like the idea of Scottish Independence. We will definitely remain.
    I think so too,too much to lose if we pull out,

ReputationRep:
    This to me will end up being 'The night of the long knives,' and there will a lot of recriminations on both sides,it may even benefit the New Labour Party.
    Agreed.

They'll be a lot of arguments, tears, knives in backs regardless of result.
    It seems like the Tories will be the biggest losers. Labour probably won't come out as bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    When push comes to shove, I believe that the majority of undecided voters will realise that economic and job security is more important to them and their families than "taking back control" and what not, and they will vote to remain. Do people think Britain will leave or stay on the 23rd?
    Stay for sure, I wanna leave no matter how fascist I seem Im tired of ****ing foreign languages everywhere

P.S Twenty one pilots are the best my favorite song of theirs is Polarize whats yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    When push comes to shove, I believe that the majority of undecided voters will realise that economic and job security is more important to them and their families than "taking back control" and what not, and they will vote to remain. Do people think Britain will leave or stay on the 23rd?
    >We give 20 billion to the EU a year, 350 million a week, and our farmers, fishers and manufacturers put more into the EU than they get out
    >Somehow thinks that the only Leave argument is "taking back control"

Educate yourself please mate, you've clearly not researched or watched debates.

or youre a liberal who likes Nick Clegg, aka someone only the Manchester Evening News likes.

JUST

ReputationRep:
    I might be wrong but didn't Norway,Switzerland and Luxembourg all have a referendum to see if they would like to be members of the E.U. or not and they all said no?
    Switzerland said no (very marginally but none-the-less "no") about 6 months after its government applied in 1992 and before the EU even considered whether to say "yes".

I am not sure that the possibility of Liechtenstein joining the EU has ever been considered. The EU is not really geared up for microstate membership so Andorra, San Marino, Monaco and the Vatican City are not members either despite using the Euro (Lichtenstein uses the Swiss Franc).

Norway is the only serious refusnik and it has led the EU along twice only to jilt it. There is a disconnect between farmers and fishermen on the one hand and the rest of the Norwegian economy. Norway will pay anything and do anything to the EU to avoid the Common Agricultural Policy and the Common Fisheries Policy.

ReputationRep:
    Switzerland said no (very marginally but none-the-less "no" about 6 months after its government applied in 1992 and before the EU even considered whether to say "yes".

I am not sure that the possibility of Liechtenstein joining the EU has ever been considered. The EU is not really geared up for microstate membership so Andorra, San Marino, Monaco and the Vatican City are not members either despite using the Euro (Lichtenstein uses the Swiss Franc).

Norway is the only serious refusnik and it has led the EU along twice only to jilt it. There is a disconnect between farmers and fishermen on the one hand and the rest of the Norwegian economy. Norway will pay anything and do anything to the EU to avoid the Common Agricultural Policy and the Common Fisheries Policy.
    I don't think the tax-havens have any interest in affecting that status either. I certainly wouldn't if I was running one.

Norway's obviously a special case due their abundant natural rescources relative to their size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeMillerr)
    Stay for sure, I wanna leave no matter how fascist I seem Im tired of ****ing foreign languages everywhere

P.S Twenty one pilots are the best my favorite song of theirs is Polarize whats yours?
    What don't you like about foreign languages?

And probably Doubt or Holding onto You

ReputationRep:
    I really believe in Remain. However I think the oldies will wreck it for the youngsters who go unspoken for. I reckon we will leave and then upcoming generations will have to pick up the pieces, like always.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maker)
    There does seem to be an expectation amongst some Brexiters that the UK can have restrictions on free movement plus tariff free access to the Single Market because Britain is the 5th largest economy. But even the US has tariffs on imports to the EU so I am very doubtful the EU would make an exception for the UK which is a much smaller economy than the US.

I think if the UK does leave, the arguments between different fractions of the Brexiters as to which model the UK should have would be very entertaining but bad for the economy.
    Of course the US has tariffs of their exports to the EU, they're trading under WTO+ fortress Europe rules...

It's also worth adding that even when we include OUR exports to the US, which are around a quarter of all EU exports to the US the UK is still the biggest export market for the EU by quite a margin

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolvesS)
    >We give 20 billion to the EU a year, 350 million a week, and our farmers, fishers and manufacturers put more into the EU than they get out
    >Somehow thinks that the only Leave argument is "taking back control"

Educate yourself please mate, you've clearly not researched or watched debates.

or youre a liberal who likes Nick Clegg, aka someone only the Manchester Evening News likes.

JUST
    You say educate, but the true FACTS are that we give 8.5 billion to the EU in net contribution a year. Not 20.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...15.pdf#page=44

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Louise12307)
    You say educate, but the true FACTS are that we give 8.5 billion to the EU in net contribution a year. Not 20.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...15.pdf#page=44

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Care to tell me what income figure you quote if working, gross or net? How about with your taxes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Care to tell me what income figure you quote if working, gross or net? How about with your taxes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

This source should explain everything you just requested. Read top to bottom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.