Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Other than religious, what reason is there to ban homosexuality? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by audrey_lh)
    Saudi Arabia? Why automatically assume Saudi Arabians are all homophobic? (I'm not Saudi Arabian myself but just saying)
    I didn't assume all are, I'm sure some aren't but your view would be considered quite liberal in a country where homosexuality is criminalised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Right... your backwards.
    aka

"DOES NOT COMPUTE, DOES NOT COMPUTE"

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    Because they think that 2 people of the same sex doesn't make sense because their not biologically able to have children basically through sex. Like sperm and egg connection. It don't work with 2 people of the same gender. I think this could be one of the factors.
    Not all sex results in conception so their argument is irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordoftheties)
    Y'all finished or y'all done? Homosexuality is not natural - period. Personally I am wholly against it for the reasons many have pointed out already in this thread. Having said that, I wouldn't wish any harm be it emotional or physical on any homosexual person; just don't be gay around my young siblings or anyone close to me that may be influenced by you. As I said, the main issue with homosexuality is that it isn't natural, and it would eventually lead to the extinction of our race by way of that characteristic.
    Being a muslim isn't natural

But can I ask what you would say if I ask you to stop being a Muslim around my young siblings or anyone close to me that may be influenced by you. (you see the thing is you can stop being a Muslim at any time you like. Gay people don't have that choice.)

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

The level of bigotry makes me crack-up :lol:
    They are a member of the ISOC

funny isn't it how some demand tolerance and acceptance but refuse to offer the same back

But as I've always said I have gay family members (as do most of us form the UK) so when the chips are down who's side do they think we will be on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    They are a member of the ISOC

funny isn't it how some demand tolerance and acceptance but refuse to offer the same back

But as I've always said I have gay family members (as do most of us form the UK) so when the chips are down who's side do they think we will be on.
    I think tolerance and acceptance is what should be happening until the views become harmful, and their expression, hateful.

Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I think tolerance and acceptance is what should be happening until the views become harmful, and their expression, hateful.

Indeed.
    Have to agree but I do think saying things like 'just don't be gay around my young siblings or anyone close to me that may be influenced by you.'

should be seen as threat and should not be tolerated.

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree but I do think saying things like 'just don't be gay around my young siblings or anyone close to me that may be influenced by you.'

should be seen as threat and should not be tolerated.
    I agree. That's harmful, though in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. That's harmful, though in my opinion.
    It's no better than saying 'I don't mind black people, just don't be black around my young siblings or anyone close to me that may be influenced by you.'

both are equally abhorrent and harmful.

ReputationRep:
    It's no better than saying 'I don't mind black people, just don't be black around my young siblings or anyone close to me that may be influenced by you.'

I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Being a muslim isn't natural

But can I ask what you would say if I ask you to stop being a Muslim around my young siblings or anyone close to me that may be influenced by you. (you see the thing is you can stop being a Muslim at any time you like. Gay people don't have that choice.)
    Being Muslim is natural according to Islam; everyone is born a Muslim, hence why converts are said to 'revert' back to the religion. Besides that, out of respect to you, I'd certainly stop doing those things that aren't compulsory when around your siblings etc, but I wouldn't stop praying even if around them - and I cant imagine a situation where I would be praying around them. The argument that being gay is a genetic case is preposterous, its been used a gazillion times by a gazillion pro-gays, but when you ask for proof they somehow riggle out of it. Simply put, if its genetic, point me to the gene that holds it.

ReputationRep:

Your argument is based entirely on homosexuality being genetic; which it isn't. Being black is genetic, besides, not one single point can be made to suggest being black is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Your argument is based entirely on homosexuality being genetic; which it isn't. Being black is genetic, besides, not one single point can be made to suggest being black is a problem.
    Stronger arguments for homosexuality being genetic to a degree, than it not being.

Being Muslim is natural according to Islam; everyone is born a Muslim, hence why converts are said to 'revert' back to the religion. Besides that, out of respect to you, I'd certainly stop doing those things that aren't compulsory when around your siblings etc, but I wouldn't stop praying even if around them - and I cant imagine a situation where I would be praying around them. The argument that being gay is a genetic case is preposterous, its been used a gazillion times by a gazillion pro-gays, but when you ask for proof they somehow riggle out of it. Simply put, if its genetic, point me to the gene that holds it.
    *******s. You choose your religious affiliation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlassyMarbles)
    I'd like to say beforehand that I absolutely don't support homophobia; I have the misfortune of knowing some against homosexuality that are mostly otherwise good people.

- Increased chance of STDs
    - "Unnatural"; little to no accounts of it pre-20th century
    - Possible eventual proliferation may lead to human extinction [I know, I know, this is so stupid]
    - Acceptance of homosexuality may lead to increased bestiality and objectophilia due to "the influence that you can have sex with anything now"
    Actually, it's entirely natural and is displayed in just about every animal species. Pre-20th century some civilisations actually encouraged it. The Greeks and Romans used to because it meant that soldiers would fight harder in battle to protect their partners.

As for the increased chance of STDs, that's both true and not true. It depends on the STD. I've got an explanation of it here and I can't be bothered to type much more: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post64495311

ReputationRep:
    http://link.springer.com/article/10....1541882#page-1
    http://link.springer.com/article/10....508-008-9381-6
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Homosexuality
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...01051107001433
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...90513808000688

The exact gene hasn't been isolated yet. They have however pretty much proven that is IS genetic.

ReputationRep:
    Im not even gonna bother reading, I already know its ********. If it was proven Id have known by now, lets put it that way. Cue the 'ill take that as a loss' comments roflmao. We all know if I open that link its gonna prove nada.

ReputationRep:
    Im not even gonna bother reading, I already know its ********. If it was proven Id have known by now, lets put it that way. Cue the 'ill take that as a loss' comments roflmao. We all know if I open that link its gonna prove nada.
    You are literally being provided with research and still refusing to engage with it.

Lost cause

ReputationRep:
    Being Muslim is natural according to Islam;
    Circular logic and an epic fail

ReputationRep:
    Being Muslim is natural according to Islam;
    if i write a book that says elephants can fly it doesn't make it true now does it

ReputationRep:
    Your argument is based entirely on homosexuality being genetic; which it isn't.
    another fail

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.