Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's actually quite sinister how the Sky hack tries to twist it away from being an obvious homophobic attack to "an attack on people in general". I wonder if orders have been received from Rupe in his New York bunker instructing all the minions that this is not to be put across as an attack on gay people.
    They called it a homophobic attack and that there was 'no question' that it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Also how is this 'the Right', what's 'Right' about Sky?
    Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why did get so uptight?

Weren't the present, the woman and him all agreeing it was a callous homophobic and terrorist attack?

Also how is this 'the Right', what's 'Right' about Sky?
    Sky News is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who is right-wing. I wasn't being entirely serious; just echoing what people in these situations constantly say about "the left", "leftists" and other variations on "left".

They weren't agreeing at all - Julia Hartley-Brewer was a bit better, but the Sky News presenter said "it was an attack on all human beings", yet as Jones pointed out, if this was an attack on a synagogue, he wouldn't say that at all. He said that "you can't say that this is a worse attack than Paris", which Jones never, ever implied, so that was a ridiculous comment to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    Sky News is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who is right-wing. I wasn't being entirely serious; just echoing what people in these situations constantly say about "the left", "leftists" and other variations on "left".

They weren't agreeing at all - Julia Hartley-Brewer was a bit better, but the Sky News presenter said "it was an attack on all human beings", yet as Jones pointed out, if this was an attack on a synagogue, he wouldn't say that at all. He said that "you can't say that this is a worse attack than Paris", which Jones never, ever implied, so that was a ridiculous comment to make.
    Jones was angry for good reasons - it did look like a very deliberate attempt by Sky to push an agenda about this not being to do with gay people.

Murdoch has past form for this kind of anti-gay attitude.
    http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/p...14/#gs.yOI=vbQ

ReputationRep:
    In addition to being Muslim, the guy had a violent history and was mentally ill.

To me, the issue is not that he is Muslim. I couldn't care less.

The real issue is WHY WAS THIS GUY ALLOWED TO PURCHASE A GUN GIVEN HIS BACKGROUND?!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's disgusting how the Right are trying to minimise the fact that this was a disgusting hate crime committed against the LGBT community. Owen Jones, rightly, walked off the set of Sky News.

It's actually quite sinister how the Sky hack tries to twist it away from being an obvious homophobic attack to "an attack on people in general". I wonder if orders have been received from Rupe in his New York bunker instructing all the minions that this is not to be put across as an attack on gay people.
    (Original post by ubiquitousking)
    I saw this just a while ago, genuinely pissed me off. That presenter especially talking about it's really an attack on "human beings and their freedom to have fun". What an absolutely absurd statement.

He walked into an LGBTQ community, killing LGBTQ people on a day when one would very much expect there to be LGBTQ individuals in the nightclub.
    Walking out was the right thing to do.

I disagree that this has anything an entire group of people and their political inclination.

Not before (and after) waving it off generally as an attack on "human beings" or "freedom" (see 1:30-135 as one example); the straw man at 1:19 by the presenter is enraging, the snide comment at 2:58 (approx) again indicating that he's deflecting away from Owen Jones' suggestion that it's an attack on the LGBTQ community.
    There are many examples of what Viddy9 said (minus the "Right" part), where they try and detract from the idea it's an attack on individuals because they are somewhere on the LGBTQ line
    (Further example at 3:33 by "Julia", not the presenter).
    Speaking as a gay leftie, Owen Jones was completely wrong to suggest that this attack had some kind of special significance because they targeted gay people rather than music fans or Christian worshipers. I cringed when he said the host couldn't understand because he wasn't gay - such a ridiculous comment.

Neither Julia nor the host said it wasn't a homophobic attack. Gay people are human beings for goodness sake; making that point shouldn't diminish the fact that it was also a homophobic attack.

The way this story has been twisted by the left wing media to suit their political agenda has really shocked me to be honest. Nobody seems that interested in debating what was actually said, they just want to be outraged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Speaking as a gay leftie, Owen Jones was completely wrong to suggest that this attack had some kind of special significance because they targeted gay people rather than music fans or Christian worshipers. I cringed when he said the host couldn't understand because he wasn't gay - such a ridiculous comment.

Neither Julia nor the host said it wasn't a homophobic attack. Gay people are human beings for goodness sake; making that point shouldn't diminish the fact that it was also a homophobic attack.

The way this story has been twisted by the left wing media to suit their political agenda has really shocked me to be honest. Nobody seems that interested in debating what was actually said, they just want to be outraged.
    Owen Jones didn't say it had some special kind of significance, he said that just as you would call an attack on a synagogue an anti-Semitic attack, you should call this attack a homophobic attack on the LGBT community.

Jones was simply pointing out that the presenter wouldn't have said the things he was saying if this were an attack on a synagogue.

ReputationRep:

He wasn't having a problem with Julia and says so on his twitter feed.

The Sky host did clearly try to downplay it as a homophobic attack. Watching the piece, it seems clear that he was pursuing a pre-agreed agenda that this is a 'typical' Islamist attack and therefore he was following orders and that's what really annoyed Owen Jones, who was rightly pointing out that just because some lunatic homophobe wants to call it religious doesn't make it not primarily a homophobic attack.

We are going to get a lot of this, after all, Trump is taking the same line and even (what a fricking cheek) blaming the President for it. All we are going to hear from many right wing sources is Islam, Islam, Islam when clearly this is about a lot more than that. That's why he got angry.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The average gun-toting middle aged civilian in the US is a crack shot in high stress combat situations then? We had better draft some into the army, they are clearly needed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Owen Jones didn't say it had some special kind of significance.
    But that was his meaning.

He wasn't having a problem with Julia and says so on his twitter feed.

The Sky host did clearly try to downplay it as a homophobic attack. Watching the piece, it seems clear that he was pursuing a pre-agreed agenda that this is a 'typical' Islamist attack and therefore he was following orders and that's what really annoyed Owen Jones, who was rightly pointing out that just because some lunatic homophobe wants to call it religious doesn't make it not primarily a homophobic attack.

We are going to get a lot of this, after all, Trump is taking the same line and even (what a fricking cheek) blaming the President for it. All we are going to hear from many right wing sources is Islam, Islam, Islam when clearly this is about a lot more than that. That's why he got angry.
    He said that today. He should have said it last night before she got a ton of abuse.

I don't think the host did try to downplay it as a homophobic attack, he was just trying see this event in its wider context. Nothing wrong with that. Yes, it was a homophobic attack but clearly it was more than that, and that's all they said.

ReputationRep:
    They called it a homophobic attack and that there was 'no question' that it was.
    There is currently zero evidence that it was a homophobic attack.

Own Jones just showed how much of a baby him and his fellow leftists are, they have to retreat to safe spaces when somebody disagrees with them. He also showed why leftist suck at business, as they cant conduct themselves in a professional manner.

ReputationRep:
    So many bandwagons for the left to jump on here; the gun control bandwagon, the Islam apologist bandwagon, the homophobia bandwagon, I'm surprised all their little heads haven't exploded from the amount of things they have to be outraged about

ReputationRep:
    Owen's got an article about it now up on the Guardian site.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ando-sexuality

ReputationRep:
    But that was his meaning.

He said that today. He should have said it last night before she got a ton of abuse.

I don't think the host did try to downplay it as a homophobic attack, he was just trying see this event in its wider context. Nothing wrong with that. Yes, it was a homophobic attack but clearly it was more than that, and that's all they said.
    Do you have any evidence that it was a homophobic attack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    There is currently zero evidence that it was a homophobic attack.

Own Jones just showed how much of a baby him and his fellow leftists are, they have to retreat to safe spaces when somebody disagrees with them. He also showed why leftist suck at business, as they cant conduct themselves in a professional manner.
    The fact that he targeted a Gay club is certainly evidence of homophobia.

If he had targeted a synagogue, it would have been proof of anti-semitism, would it not?

His reaction was slightly over the top though, I thought.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that he targeted a Gay club is certainly evidence of homophobia.

If he had targeted a synagogue, it would have been proof of anti-semitism, would it not?

His reaction was slightly over the top though, I thought.
    There is no evidence at all so far that he attacked the club specifically as it was a gay club.

ReputationRep:
    There is no evidence at all so far that he attacked the club specifically as it was a gay club.

That evidence will gradually come to light.

It clearly was a targeted attack though - an obvious target for those in support of Daesh and other Islamic terrorist organisations.

It was planned.

ReputationRep:
    Yes there is you braindead idiot.

He travelled 90 miles to this specific club, his father recalled that he specifically was repulsed by homosexual behaviour on at least one past incident.

But then again, I am talking to the person who thinks the people "deserved to die and had it coming because all gays are left wing".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttimeigetvpn)
    Yes there is you braindead idiot.

He travelled 90 miles to this specific club, his father recalled that he specifically was repulsed by homosexual behaviour on at least one past incident.

But then again, I am talking to the person who thinks the people "deserved to die and had it coming because all gays are left wing".
    That is not proof.

That homosexual behaviour incident occurred months ago.

In a court of law, your claims would not hold up, as currently there is no proof that he attacked this club, specifically as it was a gay club.

By the way, you are deliberately misquoting me, your leftist traits are shining through.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.