Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Webb)
    Thanks XD. My working looked like shite in the exam lol
    My mechanics teacher went over this and got the same answer as you.
    so at least u got the 10 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DTAHSFYJFF)
    My mechanics teacher went over this and got the same answer as you.
    so at least u got the 10 marks
    yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avanpal)
    Hey guys, for the airplane question, I made an error and got the wrong value of wind speed in part 1. However I got the rest of the questions right (in terms of method), but will I get the error carried forward? It was 2 marks for the first question. For the last question, if I got the wrong value of T, but made the correct substitutions into R equations and correctly calculated displacement (again in terms of method), how many marks can I lose, providing working out is all there. Thanks in advanced.
    Yes i think you will get carried forward marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eisobdxhsonw)
    For all those people crying about the last question, I too got it wrong as I used T=25 instead of T=5, but one thing it said in the question was that they are both on the SAME horizontal plane throughout their motion(same vertical distance apart), so if you're working out when they're parallel you don't have to piss around with all that gradient **** that you learn in C4, you simply have to work out when the vertical components for velocity are equal to one another (when t=5) and sub T=5 into your distance equation for both plane A and B and take them away from one another to get the distance between them, I might be wrong but the big misconception is that people failed to realise it stated that the planes stayed on their horizontal planes through
    T does not equal 5.

ReputationRep:
    On question 8 there was a way of getting 106 if you had the times 25 and 5. You simple had to find the distances between A and B for both of times and then calculate the difference between those 2 answers, in which you get 106

ReputationRep:
    Predicted Grade boundaries anyone?
    I'm thinking this year they are going to be quite low because of the last question being disgusting...

ReputationRep:
    The reason the football has to be modeled as a particle is not because of air resistance. This is because in the question they already tell you there's no air resistance, so whether or not the ball is a particle would therefore not cause air resistance.

I think the reason is because if the ball had size you would have to factor in the radius of the ball because the ball's edge would hit the box before the centre of mass arrived.
    On top of this if the ball had size it it could rotate, this would have a gyroscopic effect and may affect the trajectory of its path.
    If the ball had size there would be multiple answers for how long it takes the ball to hit the rim, because either side of the ball hitting the rim would give multiple answers.
    I put the rotation would factor in ie curl away from the box, if it wasn't a particle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OturuDansay)
    On question 8 there was a way of getting 106 if you had the times 25 and 5. You simple had to find the distances between A and B for both of times and then calculate the difference between those 2 answers, in which you get 106
    i reckon there is more than one way to answer the question, since its worth 10 marks, they can limit you to one route to the answer, so if u got 106m and your working out is legit, your most likely to get 10 or maybe 9 marks depending on your working out i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DEWR98)
    I put the rotation would factor in ie curl away from the box, if it wasn't a particle
    I think you're right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronKhan87)
    I'm thinking this year they are going to be quite low because of the last question being disgusting...
    im hoping it is low, the paper in general was harder than others, or at least i felt like it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DTAHSFYJFF)
    im hoping it is low, the paper in general was harder than others, or at least i felt like it was.
    Numbers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronKhan87)
    Yeah I agree, a lot more schools are also doing M1 in the first year of maths/further maths which I guess is good lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleover13)
    so did anyone else get 4 killometers for question 8? i got my mechanics teacher to check it and he said it was right. glad i got that one in the bag, easiest 10 marks in my life. dam the momentum question, who knew a ball could weigh 4 tonnes. feel sorry for people who got 106m for question 8, people forgot to square it. luckily i got my teacher to check this too, what a legend.
    Good one
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Any idea how many marks will be lost for subbing in t=5 and continuing with the rest as normal
    Moreover if I rote the normal reaction force wrong in part A and carried it over into the 6 mark part B question, will 6 marks be ignored given I done the rest of the method right.

ReputationRep:
    I'm expecting boundaries to be stupidly low, I'm estimating around 50 for an A, based on comparison to the June 14 paper which was easier in comparison and 53 was an A. There were no stupidly difficult questions on the June 14 paper, but there was a reasonably difficult 7 marker on this one and a difficult 10 marker on this one. Expect low boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    The reason the football has to be modeled as a particle is not because of air resistance. This is because in the question they already tell you there's no air resistance, so whether or not the ball is a particle would therefore not cause air resistance.

I think the reason is because if the ball had size you would have to factor in the radius of the ball because the ball's edge would hit the box before the centre of mass arrived.
    On top of this if the ball had size it it could rotate, this would have a gyroscopic effect and may affect the trajectory of its path.
    If the ball had size there would be multiple answers for how long it takes the ball to hit the rim, because either side of the ball hitting the rim would give multiple answers.
    Yes that is indeed correct. The two main points they usually look for in these modelling assumption questions are:
    1.) So that we can neglect air resistance/assume weight of the ball is the only force acting throughout the motion
    2.) So that we can ignore rotational effects (which you've just pointed out). Rotational dynamics make things more complicated (and interesting) as you'll find out from M4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiashayes)
    I couldn't decide whether to leave it in vector form or find the magnitude... But then I thought that they normally ask for the 'position vector' if they want it in vector form. Idk
    even if it wasnt vector form displacement would have to have an angle to go with the magnitude otherwise they would have distance

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial MS anyone? I need to check how bad I did ahaha

ReputationRep:
    U know for the 3kg particle (last part of question 5) did u have to work out s with
    a=.9.8
    v=0
    u=2.5
    (2.5 from previous questions V)
    The answer of which add to 0.8 metres?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinocchiolewis)
    Unofficial MS anyone? I need to check how bad I did ahaha
    lol same :'(

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.