Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamm691)
    can anyone working through the vector and matrices help me with this example please using the equation of the line used in the attachments
    can i just rearrange and sub yw in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamm691)
    can i just rearrange and sub yw in?
    If  z \bar{w} = \bar{z} w = \overline{z \bar{w}} then  z \bar{w} \in \mathbb{R}. Hence  z = k/\bar{w} for a real k. Can you finish it off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    If  z \bar{w} = \bar{z} w = \overline{z \bar{w}} then  z \bar{w} \in \mathbb{Z}. Hence  z = k/\bar{w} for a real k. Can you finish it off?
    \mathbb{Z}? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Oh what an idiot

Edited. I blame senility.

ReputationRep:
    Oh what an idiot

Edited. I blame senility.
    Was half-hoping that there was some deep theorem that would make everything into integers. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    If  z \bar{w} = \bar{z} w = \overline{z \bar{w}} then  z \bar{w} \in \mathbb{R}. Hence  z = k/\bar{w} for a real k. Can you finish it off?
    ahhh yes thank you

ReputationRep:
    Was half-hoping that there was some deep theorem that would make everything into integers. :lol:
    It would make life so much simpler. Even better if there were only finitely many of them too...

ReputationRep:
    Well R,Yeh cause Im=0
    Y ?Is it wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any videos to recommend for learning Green's theorem/Stoke's theorem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Anyone have any videos to recommend for learning Green's theorem/Stoke's theorem?
    MIT YouTube channel might have something on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are lectures on the MIT OpenCourseware for a large body of multivar and vector calculus concepts which are very good, and explain each concept in a lucid intuitive terms.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at section 3.6 of this chapter of the Feynman lectures, where he explains Stoke's theorem in a nice intuitive way:

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_03.html

You would probably benefit from reading through chapters 2 and 3, where Feynman covers a lot of vector calculus from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    Khanacademy explains the intuition of Green'/Stokes really well in my opinion. There is no rigour/proofs or anything but it served as an excellent introduction imo.

ReputationRep:
    Any feedback on my argument for there being infinitely many rationals in the interval  [a,b] ? (a,b are any reals, b>a)
    Let  \epsilon = \dfrac{1}{b-a} Then  \exists N \in \mathbb{Z} : \frac{1}{N}< \frac{ \epsilon}{2} .
    Let  k be the largest integer such that  \frac{k}{N} <a . Then  a< \dfrac{k+1}{N} < \dfrac{k+2}{N} <b (There are therefore atleast 2 rationals between any 2 reals).
    But take these rationals and find their mean,  \dfrac{2k+3}{2N} . It can be easily seen that this is distinct from the other 2 rationals. Also can show the mean of any 2 rationals lies in the interval between them if needed. As we have not made any assumptions on the values of the 2 starting rationals, we can take any 2 distinct rationals in our interval and calculate the mean to find a new rational infinite times therefore infinite rationals in interval. (also its clear the mean is a rational as the products of and sums of any integers is an integer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Any feedback on my argument for there being infinitely many rationals in the interval  [a,b] ? (a,b are any reals, b>a)
    Let  \epsilon = \dfrac{1}{b-a} Then  \exists N \in \mathbb{Z} : \frac{1}{N}< \frac{ \epsilon}{2} .
    Let  k be the largest integer such that  \frac{k}{N} <a . Then  a< \dfrac{k+1}{N} < \dfrac{k+2}{N} <b
    Seems okay (although there is a rather slightly shorter shorter proof), but how do you know that \frac{k+2}{N} < b? (I might just be missing something obvious).

I'd say that \frac{k+2}{N} < \frac{aN + 2}{N} = a + \frac{2}{N} < a + \epsilon where, if \epsilon = b-a, then this inequality would generate a + (b-a) = b and we'd get \frac{k+2}{N} < b as expected, but that's not what \epsilon has been defined as.

ReputationRep:
    Seems okay (although there is a rather slightly shorter shorter proof), but how do you know that \frac{k+2}{N} < b? (I might just be missing something obvious).

I'd say that \frac{k+2}{N} < \frac{aN + 2}{N} = a + \frac{2}{N} < a + \epsilon where, if \epsilon = b-a, then this inequality would generate a + (b-a) = b and we'd get \frac{k+2}{N} < b as expected, but that's not what \epsilon has been defined as.
    yep that makes sense and yea sorry I meant to write my epsilon the other way up as  1/2 (b-a) then it all works out I think, i just wrote upside down

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where else to post this:Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467936421.429411.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  155.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely want to get involved in this! I'm nowhere near the level you guys are at, but I'm starting Maths and Economics at LSE through distance learning after summer, so want to bridge the gap between what I know and what I'll need to know.

ReputationRep:
    While going through N&S I had a question. Are natural numbers positive integers and whole numbers non-negative integers? Or are natural numbers non-negative integers – in which case what are whole numbers? Or are both conventions followed by different people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishdesai7)
    While going through N&S I had a question. Are natural numbers positive integers and whole numbers non-negative integers? Or are natural numbers non-negative integers – in which case what are whole numbers? Or are both conventions followed by different people?
    Natural numbers are the counting numbers, ( the non negative and non-zero integers ) whole numbers are just integers AFAIK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.