Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Uh yes, obviously :rolleyes: ^o)
    Then why use the confused emoticon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    She may have a place, but am I right in saying she is not taking it up? I heard that either she's refused the place, or she's decided to defer for another year, which was interpreted as meaning that she's refused the place. That's what The Observer said anyway... Do correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yeah I think she deferred again. Makes sense, she won't be a model forever so it seems sensible to pursue it when she's young. If I were in her position I'd do the whole education thing once my career was finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I'm not reall that surprised that the person said it was puppy.
    Excuse me? What's that supposed to mean?

Obviously you're all much better people than me, but if I was a teenager and a millionaire I'd be shopping, clubbing and lying drunk in my own filth, not working hard at uni. I think I'd find it very hard to apply myself if I knew it didn't matter what grade I got and whether I ever earnt another penny in my life.

I did not say that I would stop learning if I was rich, I said I wouldn't go to university, they're not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I very much doubt it considering the number of people who have seen/heard of Harry Potter movies..and I am guessing if you aret he kidn of person who managed to avoid HP movie advertisements chances are you are not a great fan of fashion models..
    I've read that several times and I still don't get what you're trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Excuse me? What's that supposed to mean?

Obviously you're all much better people than me, but if I was a teenager and a millionaire I'd be shopping, clubbing and lying drunk in my own filth, not working hard at uni. I think I'd find it very hard to apply myself if I knew it didn't matter what grade I got and whether I ever earnt another penny in my life.

I did not say that I would stop learning if I was rich, I said I wouldn't go to university, they're not the same thing.
    It just means whatever you want to learn cannot be found inside university. I'm merely writing my thought at the time when I read what you wrote.

Well, the money is yours. Do whatever you like with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    I've read that several times and I still don't get what you're trying to say.
    Watson will be more well known than Cole in every country on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    It just means whatever you want to learn cannot be found inside university. I'm merely writing my thought at the time when I read what you wrote.
    You're going to have to re-write that in English, I don't get what point you're trying to make.

I'll say again that uni is not the only place to learn. I always taught myself things for the fun of it before I went to university so if I'd suddenly come in to money and decided not to go I've no reason to suspect I wouldn't have continued to do so. But I'd probably want to do other things if I didn't have to think about getting a degree to make money, like learning to play instruments or taking painting and drawing classes and hiring private tutors so I didn't have to learn in some crappy institution with a pack of teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    Watson will be more well known than Cole in every country on the planet.
    I meant the part about me not knowing fashion models because I didn't like HP or whatever it was you were trying to suggest.

ReputationRep:
    So... Cambridge is now a "crappy institution with a pack of teenagers". Great.

as I said, the money is yours, do whatever you like with it. Hiring a private tutor and going to university definitely are two different classes of programming languages. This is like comparing ML to C++. But, I'm not here to tell you how to spend your imaginary money. If we spend our money in exactly the same manner, the world would be boring place.

Oh and I meant exactly what I wrote. It's nobody's fault that you can't get the point. You know, the point only exist in your imagination and every English students' essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    I meant the part about me not knowing fashion models because I didn't like HP or whatever it was you were trying to suggest.
    He was talking about the part where you said Lily Cole is more famous than Emma Watson because you know Lily Cole but not Emma Watson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Your probably in the minority in that regards.

I'd imagine there are more people who don't know who either of them are or only know watson rather than those who know cole but not watson (unless they are into fashion that is)

ReputationRep:
    So... Cambridge is now a "crappy institution with a pack of teenagers". Great.

as I said, the money is yours, do whatever you like with it. Hiring a private tutor and going to university definitely are two different classes of programming languages. This is like comparing ML to C++. But, I'm not here to tell you how to spend your imaginary money. If we spend our money in exactly the same manner, the world would be boring place.

Oh and I meant exactly what I wrote. It's nobody's fault that you can't get the point. You know, the point only exist in your imagination and every English students' essay.
    :confused: Am I on glue?

ReputationRep:
    Your probably in the minority in that regards.

I'd imagine there are more people who don't know who either of them are or only know watson rather than those who know cole but not watson (unless they are into fashion that is)
    Ohhh ok, I get it. I thought you were suggesting the same people knew about both or neither or something along those lines.

Well I'm surprised, if (prior to this thread) someone had asked me to name 'Hermione' I wouldn't have had a clue. I imagine more people have seen her and recognise her than Lily Cole but I'd be surprised if they could name her. Maybe it's just because I have no interest in her outside of the Harry Potter films.

ReputationRep:
    pssht who cares about Emma Watson.. harry potter is weak

ReputationRep:
    Then why use the confused emoticon?
    ^o) I was :wtf?:ing that somebody would no longer desire to learn or study something if they had enough money to never work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Linh~)
    pssht who cares about Emma Watson.. harry potter is weak
    Quite a few people, obviously, or the thread wouldn't be 18pages long.

ReputationRep:
    ^o) I was :wtf?:ing that somebody would no longer desire to learn or study something if they had enough money to never work.
    If I was rich I'd learn what I liked, when I liked, not what someone in charge of a course I'd chosen told me to learn. The only point I'm making is that I wouldn't go to university, not that I wouldn't want to study or learn. If I didn't need to earn a living (that's not to say I wouldn't work) then I wouldn't be concerned about learning in a system that gave me a certificate to show how well I learned how to answer the questions they used to test me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with puppy on that - if i was minted for life I would still want to learn but probably not at Uni (or I'd go to Uni and slack even more than I did when I went for real )

Anything I learnt wouldn't be that academic anyways - I rather learn fun stuff..

ReputationRep:
    Anything I learnt wouldn't be that academic anyways - I rather learn fun stuff..
    Fun is relative. One can only assume that you're trying to provoke people if you go to a forum filled with people who find academia 'fun' and make such a comment.

ReputationRep:
    Fun is relative. One can only assume that you're trying to provoke people if you go to a forum filled with people who find academia 'fun' and make such a comment.
    Than you would have assumed wrong.

While there maybe some people who love their subject the vast majority I have come across on here and IRL study because they 'have to'.

And while some people may really enjoy subjects liek Law, I haven't really met anyone who enjoys reading loads of books for case research etc.

Comparing writing essays and doing research in a University setting to doing research/learning at your own leisure - well I'd say which one was more fun would be a no brainer for most people.

Anyhow, I very much doubt people here define academic 'fun' the same way they would watching a film /playingsports/ reading a book for leisure.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.