Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Please! Time is precious, just revise from the start you will thank me after.

ReputationRep:
    Be organised! There's nothing that will stress you out more than not being organised. You can always figure out your way around a maths problem or settle yourself into planning an essay. But if you don't organised your papers and even your time you'll become lost. Good luck for the future.

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic and keep your notes up to date. There is nothing worse than scrambling to get your notes ready for revision when you should be revising properly.
    Also, ask questions when you need help, go see the teacher and don't worry if you don't understand right away, it will come, just keep working at it over and over.

ReputationRep:
    Start revision early
    DO NOT take the EPQ
    Do loads of practice exam papers
    alevels are hard.. Just try your best

ReputationRep:
    Start revising on your first day, you'll need to!😂

ReputationRep:
    There's no doubt that A levels are a massive step up from GCSE, that is why it is vital that you take things one step at a time. Think carefully about which A-levels you think you would enjoy the most- if one of those is art, be prepared to give up a lot of free time, but don't over do it. Don't spend every lunchtime in the art room and don't exhaust yourself over your work. The problem with art is that if you never really feel your work is finish and so you start to labour over it and you end up sacrificing time that is worth much more when invested in other subjects.
    Personally, I have many regrets and there are so many things that I wish I did differently- the main thing is created a study timetable and sticking to it. My work would be all over the place and I really struggled to prioritise. I cannot stress enough how important it is to be as organised as possible ESPECIALLY with revision.
    Start revision as early as possible- you can never be too early.
    But I think the most important thing is- and I don't think people hear this enough- DO NOT GIVE UP. No matter how tough the going gets, keep moving forward and don't lose hope. A-levels are supposed to be very difficult and they are made to weed out those that lack commitment and motivation. If you really want to be successful, no matter what grades you get or how slow your progress is, you WILL find a way as long as you don't give up.
    You'll be relieved once its over and trust me all the hard work is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    KEEP UP! Do not fall behind. You don't want to find that you're revising and realised that you missed a whole chapter and have no clue about it. It just gets you into a useless panic and risks your grade, of course. And in the exam by God read the question! Friend of mine read Henry VII when it said Henry VIII. Nightmare. Was a straight A student as well. Keep an eye on the time. Make decisions quickly, you might need that extra 10 seconds at the end, like I did! :/ Got an A in the end anyway but ygm. Incomplete conclusion isn't good. I had a quote ready to write down but ran out of time- I'd taken too long to decide which essay to write in History, even though it should have been pretty obvious. Even if you've learned stats for one topic just before, if you don't know the material, **** it. The stats are like a back-up if the essay was compulsory and you have to wing it (this is if you haven't covered the material properly! Always try to cover it all. I got lucky.)

ReputationRep:
    you dont really need to work very hard till like december so use those first few months to make good friends, join any clubs or societies because once your mocks start, AS doesnt become fun

ReputationRep:
    Choose your options wisely, make sure they're your choices and not your parents'; it may lead you to dislike the subject and not work hard towards it. Enjoy your lessons as best as you can, remember you have to do them for 2 years, if you don't look forward to them you may begin to skip classes and fall behind in work. Don't give up in the lessons you enjoy even if you didn't get the grade that you were expecting.

ReputationRep:
    Hit the ground running, try from day one, hand in homework etc.

ReputationRep:
    - Pick something you actually enjoy or you'll regret it very quickly
    - Keeping my folder organized really helped when it can to exams
    - I know this is a hard one, but try not to leave everything until the last minute

ReputationRep:
    Start working from the beginning of the year, you'll be more confident by the time exams come around.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't

ReputationRep:
    Never believe anybody who says "AS levels' don't matter."

ReputationRep:
    You need to think about whether or not A-Levels are for you. If you're not really education driven or don't like exams there are things like BTEC's or Apprenticeships. With Apprenticeships you can gain required skills for industry and honestly it's great for people who like learning in a working environment.

BTEC's however are more useful for people who don't want their results to be based on their final exam results. So you do plenty of coursework and you get a substantial amount of help from teachers.

However if you're doing A-Levels then these are the tips I have for you;

- Make sure to go over your notes
    - Find a healthy balance between your social and college life
    - Have revision folders ready
    - Choose subjects you will enjoy not because you were good at them at GCSE's
    - Make revision notes
    - Take your mocks seriously
    - Finally, HAVE FUN GUYS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OHH_MY_DAYZ:b)
    what would you suggest is the best way to use this time?e.g. notes, past papers etc
    That's up to you to decide, as different revision techniques work better for different people. Try them all out and see what is most efficient for you

ReputationRep:
    Time is money

ReputationRep:
    Revise from Day 1 making sure you keep all your subject folders organised.
    Your frees aren't frees, spend them in the library

ReputationRep:
    Learn to get on with your teachers so you can go to them for help. buy study guides, learn what the examiners want.
    Listen to your college's advice re attendance, punctuality and homework. Some of that is to make them look good but also, they have a point.
    Try to start revision earlier rather than later - but a bit of cramming can be helpful too.

ReputationRep:
    EPQ is a waste of everyone's time. Don't bother.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.