Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Like this is France for God's sake we are talking about, why migrate from wherever in the middle east they came from to a liberal western country like France only to start mixing your backward cultural differences with supreme western values?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vividly clear)
    Like this is France for God's sake we are talking about, why migrate from wherever in the middle east they came from to a liberal western country like France only to start mixing your backward cultural differences with supreme western values?
    Because it's the way it works

Our societies need to be turned into the ones they have already abandoned once (usually because it has already failed)

But it is time we become more aggressive in defending our countries and our cultures against the invader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    As has been said many times before, a burkini is not the only option you can swim in if you are Muslim.

& OK. Because nobody with a different perspective than you can offer anything worthwhile to the discussion ^^
    You contradict yourself by first stating that they are forced to wear it, then saying that it is not their only option. Someone who has been forced into something will clearly feel that she has no other option.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because French "expats" (immigrants) in other countries totally dress like the locals, don't they? Oh wait, it's OK that they don't because their culture is superior anyway, if anything the locals should be attempting to emulate them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Yes, because French "expats" (immigrants) in other countries totally dress like the locals, don't they? Oh wait, it's OK that they don't because their culture is superior anyway, if anything the locals should be attempting to emulate them!
    an expat is not an immigrant - but my Mother in law to be lives in France as an ex pat and she dresses like a french person and respects their culture and their customs.

But yes western culture is superior which is why when your family was shopping around for a better one than their original they choose to come here.

So how about a little respect towards your hosts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    an expat is not an immigrant

But yes western culture is superior which is why when your family was shopping around for a better one than their original they choose to come here.

So how a bout a little respect towards your hosts.
    What do you know about my family? Nothing. However, the sheer scope of your bigotry is beginning to show (which always happens with people like you). So please, do keep it up :lol:

"Expat" is a word used by those who think they are above being called an immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    What do you know about my family? Nothing. However, the sheer scope of your bigotry is beginning to show (which always happens with people like you). So please, do keep it up :lol:

"Expat" is a word used by those who think they are above being called an immigrant.
    You told me about them in a different thread where you explained your immigrant status

Have you forgotten this?

But no they are different terms and have different meanings (get a dictionary)

But yes I am rather 'bigoted' (again get a dictionary as you don't really understand this term) towards those who are bigoted to wards me and my country and its culture especially with people like you who will when you feel you have got what you want form this country move somewhere else but still spend most of your time while here attacking us.

ReputationRep:
    You told me about them in a different thread where you explained your immigrant status

Have you forgotten this?

But no they are different terms and have different meanings (get a dictionary)

But yes I am rather 'bigoted' (again get a dictionary as you don't really understand this term) towards those who are bigoted to wards me and my country and its culture especially with people like you who will when you feel you have got what you want form this country move somewhere else but still spend most of your time while here attacking us.
    Show me an example of this bigotry on my part? Should be easy.

And do reiterate my "immigration status" if I really did state it on another thread (which if I did, you would know that my family was not "shopping around" for another culture, which you clearly presumed on the basis of my skintone)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edmund Monfort)
    I'm in total support of the ban. The burkini, like the burka, represents an ideology in which women are made out to be too sexual for men to handle and men as too lacking in self control. It perpetuates an 'us and them' mentality and spits in the face of France's secular spirit.

If these women want to cover up then they can do so with normal, non-religious clothing: ponchos, hats, long sleeved shirts, trousers etc. I'm yet to see someone on this thread who is against the ban respond to this point.
    So you'd ban the sheitel and the habit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dingleberry jam)
    France?
    Nope

as I said very early on in this discussion my opinion and the opinions of other are really irrelevant as this is an issue for France and It's people and I wouldn't be so bigoted and xenophobic to tell the french how they should behave.

ReputationRep:
    Nope

as I said very early on in this discussion my opinion and the opinions of other are really irrelevant as this is an issue for France and It's people and I wouldn't be so bigoted and xenophobic to tell the french how they should behave.
    ah my mistake, you said mother in law. Does she wear a baret with onions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dingleberry jam)
    ah my mistake, you said mother in law. Does she wear a baret with onions?
    Yes I said she was a expat in France(and I said 'to be'!!)

But yes an occasional Beret but no onions she also speaks fluent French.

ReputationRep:
    Are you really trying to compare tourist vacations to mass migration?

If a French immigrant goes to a country like the UAE and spends about 3 weeks there and doesn't dress like the women there, I don't see any problem in it, my mother went there to Abu Dhabi and walked around in Jeans sometimes skirts and she was never harassed, but to leave Saudi Arabia and move to France to work and live there and you still want to cover up when you're doing something recreational like swimming is thinking backwards.

ReputationRep:
    Your failure to respect the wishes of the French in regard to displaying religious symbols inappropriately. (the hint here is ' intolerant towards other people's beliefs and practices.' and as it's newcomers to France who have the issues the bigotry is on their side)

But you did tell me a bit of your family history but to prove me wrong you could correct me and tell me how many countries your family have been living in for say the last 30 years (I can tell you mine for about 600 years (recorded) and it's one).

But your skin colour is irrelevant to me it's your attitude (and the attitude of immigrants who think we need to change our cultures to suit them) I dislike
    Am I saying that people should disobey the law? No, but NEWSFLASH: in a society which supports democracy and free speech, anyone should be able to criticise a law, a right which you clearly believe should not extend to non-White people. If you call that "bigotry", you are should perhaps look up the definition in the Oxford dictionary.

My family living in other countries displays nothing about my so-called "immigration status".

Oh, but obviously it is relevant, as you would not be making your racially charged comments if I was White. You would not be trying to silence me and implying that I am an immigrant for something as simple as criticising a law (which doesn't differ from criticising a religion). So it's a "shut up, know your place and be grateful", despite that you know nothing of my background to begin with. And since you know nothing about my background, clearly you are going by my colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edmund Monfort)
    If these women want to cover up then they can do so with normal, non-religious clothing: ponchos, hats, long sleeved shirts, trousers etc. I'm yet to see someone on this thread who is against the ban respond to this point.
    It could be argued that what we consider 'Islamic' clothing such as the niqab, burkini etc.. are not necessarily religious clothing, but rather cultural clothing. If a strong case can be made that these items of clothing are cultural, it would pass the French secular laws. To quote another TSR members post:

(Original post by String56)
    Due to the large Arab cultural hegemony in Islam, I've heard some state that Islam is Arab cultural imperialism. That the religious dictations, customs and culture Islam produces - is usually one in which Arabic, Arabia and certain 7th century Arabs have a huge dominance and influence, usually at the detriment of native non-arab cultures.

"...Islam is in its origin an Arab religion. Everyone not an Arab who is a Muslim is a convert. Islam is not simply a matter of conscience or private belief. It makes imperial demands. A convert’s worldview alters. His holy places are in Arab lands. His sacred language is Arabic. His idea of history alters. He rejects his own: he becomes, whether he likes it or not, a part of the Arab story. The convert has to turn away from everything that is his..." - V.S. Naipul (Beyond Belief: Islamic Excursions Among the Converted Peoples)
    Maybe what is needed is for efforts to separate religion from culture, to separate Islam from Arab culture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)

Maybe what is needed is for efforts to separate religion from culture, to separate Islam from Arab culture?

Impossible as a ton of laws and customs found in the Islamic Hadiths don't come from the god they worship, but from Arabian culture.

ReputationRep:
    Are you really trying to compare tourist vacations to mass migration?

If a French immigrant goes to a country like the UAE and spends about 3 weeks there and doesn't dress like the women there, I don't see any problem in it, my mother went there to Abu Dhabi and walked around in Jeans sometimes skirts and she was never harassed, but to leave Saudi Arabia and move to France to work and live there and you still want to cover up when you're doing something recreational like swimming is thinking backwards.
    I know a couple that has lived in Dubai for over three decades, do you call that "tourist vacation"? The wife doesn't wear a headscarf and they drink and live in their bubble British immigrant communities. But that's OK because guess what: unlike some hypocrites, I support everyone's rights to live the way they want as long as are not harming anyone. I do not think that this right should only be extended to certain groups but not others.

And with this ban, even tourists from other countries who are in France for a few weeks will not be able to visit beaches if they wear hijabs.

ReputationRep:
    I think the French have had enough of Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I said she was a expat in France(and I said 'to be'!!)

But yes an occasional Beret but no onions she also speaks fluent French.
    OOh, to be, congrats, are they as pure blooded as yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Am I saying that people should disobey the law? No, but NEWSFLASH: in a society which supports democracy and free speech, anyone should be able to criticise a law, a right which you clearly believe should not extend to non-White people. If you call that "bigotry", you are should perhaps look up the definition in the Oxford dictionary.

My family living in other countries displays nothing about my so-called "immigration status".

Oh, but obviously it is relevant, as you would not be making your racially charged comments if I was White. You would not be trying to silence me and implying that I am an immigrant for something as simple as criticising a law (which doesn't differ from criticising a religion). So it's a "shut up, know your place and be grateful", despite that you know nothing of my background to begin with. And since you know nothing about my background, clearly you are going by my colour.
    You are telling the french how that should change their culture to support a new culture that is as backwards as the one the french got rid of a few centuries ago. This is very bigoted of you and shows a complete disregard for the people of that country its culture and its history

as I said bigoted and given you are not even French also xenophobic of you (and yes given I have already posted part of the definition of bigoted it seems you aren't even reading my posts properly)

and yes your immigrant status is very relevant as you are telling people from their own countries how to behave and not for their benefit but for the benefit of other immigrants

Again you seem to be playing the race card as you are losing this argument very poor form.

But as I said you could always clear up the confusion and tell us how many countries your family have tried before you came to this one. (but you won't of course as it would prove my point that you are not here for the benefit of this countries but you are here to benefit yourself only and once that benefit has been used you'll find somewhere else (but not of course 'back home') )

But yes I see nothing wrong with telling immigrants to as you say 'So it's a "shut up, know your place and be grateful", ' or go somewhere else

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.