There is no evidence for God

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    There's plenty of evidence of God's existence.
    Indeed. In the form of the hundreds of African children living in poverty that starve to death or die from waterborne illness.
    Or the parasitic worm that David Attenborough saw in a child's eye (Specifically Onchocerca Volvulus). The very idea that your "god" created a worm that can only live as a parasite, causing great pain and suffering is downright horrifying. Doesn't sound like a benevolent, all loving "god" to me. And don't give me that "Free Will" crap. The Nazi soldiers working at the concentration camps had the free will not to help the Jews who were murdered in the gas chambers. Doesn't make them any less evil. Either your "god" is powerless to help, doesn't care, or doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    No scientist claims they came from true nothing.

Btw, where did your god come from?
    The Christian God never began to exist - that's basic Christian theology. Christians claim that God is eternal. He created time.

Now, is our universe eternal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightAtTheEnd)
    You trust some parts of the Bible literally and exactly as they are (existence of a God) but not other parts. We call this cherry picking. You take some things literally and others not so much to alter the Bible in the most ideal way possible for you
    You can't take the bible literally, there are so many different ways of looking at it and it has been translated so many times current bibles only contain a rough translation of the original version.

The bible contains many stories which illustrate how we should lead our lives. As Christians, it doesn't really matter whether we believe that each event happened but that we believe in God and lead our lives with a Christian ethos. I'm not going to argue with anyone over whether God exists. I believe he does. But if you believe in another God, or even no God at all, then that's fine. As a Christian I accept your beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetragon213)
    Religion. The belief that your god created the whole universe, then uses 0.004% of it to have a personal relationship with you.
    Also, don't forget the argument of evil or how, if he's omnipotent, he doesn't end suffering and evil in our world. Imagine you had omnipotence (We'll ignore the omnipotence argument here). Write down all the things you'd do. End world hunger, perhaps? Resolve the middle east conflict? Bring peace? End Poverty? Now, ask yourself, why hasn't god done that?
    God didn't bring war upon us, we brought it on ourselves.
    As humans we have that urge to seek for more power and authority.
    We brought the suffering to our world, with people being too greedy and selfish they cant help others. There are some people who can feed the millions of hungry, diseased and poverty-stricken people with one hand and feel like nothing was withdrawn from their bank account. THAT'S THE TRUTH, so face it.
    The devil has come to steal, kill and destroy. (John 10:10)
    Evil will always exist in our world, one person will always want to kill another person. Someone will always be jealous of another person for what they have or what they can do. It won't end.

So don't blame God for any of that, we caused it for ourselves. The things we can do (provide food and comfort for them, donate money to legit organisations who will reach out to them) we should do them, and do them wholeheartedly.
    God bless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidoriakhi)
    God didn't bring war upon us, we brought it on ourselves.
    As humans we have that urge to seek for more power and authority.
    We brought the suffering to our world, with people being too greedy and selfish they cant help others. There are some people who can feed the millions of hungry, diseased and poverty-stricken people with one hand and feel like nothing was withdrawn from their bank account. THAT'S THE TRUTH, so face it.
    The devil has come to steal, kill and destroy. (John 10:10)
    Evil will always exist in our world, one person will always want to kill another person. Someone will always be jealous of another person for what they have or what they can do. It won't end.

So don't blame God for any of that, we caused it for ourselves. The things we can do (provide food and comfort for them, donate money to legit organisations who will reach out to them) we should do them, and do them wholeheartedly.
    God bless.
    I thought God knowingly created everything, i.e. knowingly created evil
    Anyway, what about natural suffering, disease, famine, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    Aha! Submit to me you tiny atheist scum. You are no match for my rational arguments full of logic and reason, backed up by empirical evidence.
    all hail the almighty Iluvatar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetragon213)
    Indeed. In the form of the hundreds of African children living in poverty that starve to death or die from waterborne illness.
    Or the parasitic worm that David Attenborough saw in a child's eye (Specifically Onchocerca Volvulus). The very idea that your "god" created a worm that can only live as a parasite, causing great pain and suffering is downright horrifying. Doesn't sound like a benevolent, all loving "god" to me. And don't give me that "Free Will" crap. The Nazi soldiers working at the concentration camps had the free will not to help the Jews who were murdered in the gas chambers. Doesn't make them any less evil. Either your "god" is powerless to help, doesn't care, or doesn't exist.
    How can you assert anything to be evil if God doesn't exist? You are stealing from a theistic worldview, in order to attempt to refute theism.

You are also asserting the God of the bible to be evil, without demonstrating how your moral principles trump that of the God presented in the bible.

I'm happy to discuss this further if you like, but I just wanted to point out right from the get go that your objection is not based on sound reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retropattern)
    there is no evidence that god does not exist.
    That would be silly. Prove to me that there isnt an undetectable massive black cock on your forehead.

ReputationRep:
    Let's have a revisit to a very important moment concerning God

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Suspecting you're a troll.

Anyway, the same thing could be said about any "first cause", be it God or something entirely naturalistic.
    I have no intention of causing any form of harm or disruption or argument, I'm simply saying the truth. You can take it if you want, or simply don't. Your choice.

The first cause has always been God, and God causes the natural to happen.
    So either way it is still God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    The origin of the world (the Earth) have been convincingly explained, which is enough to disprove the three religions of the book.

On the origin of life, biological research is developed enough to show that life - and Man - weren't created like it is said in the Bible.

I mean:

The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. [...] Then God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them"; and it was so. [...] Then God said, "Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens." [...] Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

You can't reasonably still believe in that after Darwin and radiocarbon dating.

The Big Bang is still a theory, so I acknowledge that believing in a God creator of the Universe (and only that) is not in contradiction with scientific discoveries - but for how long?
    We're not discussing biblical inerrancy, and while I'm not a Christian, I could say "the lack of repeatable observation of the formation of the solar system and evolution of the first life form means the Biblical account is still logically possible". Of course, that would require denying the uniformity of nature and causality, but given the fact that they believe in miracles anyway, there's not much you can say to definitively disprove Christian theism.

Not sure what you mean by your last paragraph. The Big Bang theory will always remain a theory since a scientific theory is the highest status within the scientific framework; there's nothing higher than that.

Even if a natural mechanistic explanation for the Big Bang were to be discovered, a theist could easily argue "God used this mechanism to create the universe". If God is defined as the Cause of all causes, the Sustainer (of the laws of nature), then no scientific discovery can disprove God even in principle. In short, this is a really weak argument for the improbability of God's existence.

ReputationRep:
    Where's your evidence?

ReputationRep:
    I have no intention of causing any form of harm or disruption or argument, I'm simply saying the truth. You can take it if you want, or simply don't. Your choice.

I have concluded how theists argue.

Theist: Spout nonsense with no evidence
    Atheist: No evidence?
    Theist: More nonsense about God being the 'alpha and omega'.
    Rinse and repeat.
    You cannot fathom what God i. He isn't the alpha and omega. You cannot comprehend these terms. It means something else to him and you will never know. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    It obviously depends on the country where that justice system is based and that's why different nations have different morals. That is essentially how our countries already work because we don't have evidence that any of the morals we subscribe to are objective. And we can all see that our moral judgements have changed over time.
    Descriptive ethical relativism doesn't imply moral relativism.

If you look closely at the norms and ethics of cultures throughout history, you'll notice a few universal, moral axioms that may/may not lead to different, even contradictory laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Where's your evidence?
    ask the scientists you can die for. I'm sure they'll finally tell you the truth.

ReputationRep:
    ask the scientists you can die for. I'm sure they'll finally tell you the truth.
    If you were confident in your reasoning you'd give me a proper answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    So what have I done that warrants me being tortured for eternity?
    Sin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightAtTheEnd)
    I have concluded how theists argue.

Theist: Spout nonsense with no evidence
    Atheist: No evidence?
    Theist: More nonsense about God being the 'alpha and omega'.
    Rinse and repeat.
    You cannot fathom what God i. He isn't the alpha and omega. You cannot comprehend these terms. It means something else to him and you will never know. Ever.
    Your conclusion is very weak.
    Making a conclusion based on one resource is absolutely abhorring.
    You will certainly achieve bad grades if you keep up with that.
    Please go and learn how to make proper conclusions, making reference to at least 3 or more relevant sources...

ReputationRep:
    Your conclusion is very weak.
    Making a conclusion based on one resource is absolutely abhorring.
    You will certainly achieve bad grades if you keep up with that.
    Please go and learn how to make proper conclusions, making reference to at least 3 or more relevant sources...
    My references are your posts throughout this discussion. Feel free to check them out buddy, maybe if you remove that blindfold you will see what I'm talking about. Besides, 'God' told me how to make these conclusions in of my personal experiences. God is above your rules and laws and always right, therefore so am I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2007PSanHa)
    You can't take the bible literally, there are so many different ways of looking at it and it has been translated so many times current bibles only contain a rough translation of the original version.
    No this isn't true. You don't know what you're saying. You also don't see the serious implications if what your saying is true.

The bible has been translated many times - indeed it has. Yet, if you aren't satisfied with the translations available, then you can look at the many many reliable manuscripts yourself, study Ancient Greek and Hebrew, and make your own translation.

If you knew anything about ancient texts, we don't have a more reliable set of ancient texts than the Old and New Testaments. Nothing on earth compares. Not Homer's Iliad. Not Plato. Yet you're not claiming those to be unreliable.

You may also want to google the discovery called the Dead Sea Scrolls for more evidence on the reliability of the OT.

The bible contains many stories which illustrate how we should lead our lives. As Christians, it doesn't really matter whether we believe that each event happened but that we believe in God and lead our lives with a Christian ethos.
    The bible doesn't just contain stories on how to live our lives. Being a Christian isn't just about living a moral life. It's actually all about Jesus, a man who actually existed, who was also God. Jesus was crucified by people like us, sinners, haters of good, lovers of evil. He did nothing wrong, but he was accused of something he didn't do, and allowed himself to be executed, in order for whoever would believe to have their sins forgiven. Being a Christian is about knowing the one who loved you enough to die to save you from all the wrong things you and everybody else has done.

It's NOT about being moral. If we could get by just by being a good person, Jesus certainly would not have given his life as a sacrifice for us. No, it's about either having Jesus' righteousness undeservingly and freely imputed to you, or having to pay for your sins by yourself.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.