2016 A-level Remarks

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginalLifelin)
    Hi guys. I scored 98.5% in my other three English modules, but in my last one I got 68%. After a remark it went up to 73%. When the script came back my teach still said it had marked unfairly. She then passed it around the department and they all agreed. She's going to get another examiner from another school to look at it, but everyone so far is saying the same thing.

What should I do ?
    Your teachers will most likely sort it out. There may need to be an appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I scored 98.5% in my other three English modules, but in my last one I got 68%. After a remark it went up to 73%. When the script came back my teach still said it had marked unfairly. She then passed it around the department and they all agreed. She's going to get another examiner from another school to look at it, but everyone so far is saying the same thing.

What should I do ?
    The chances of anything successful happening are tiny, but only your school (not you) can appeal so you'd need to talk to them about it.

ReputationRep:
    hey..i scored 232/300 for chem which is 4 raw marks from an A....and 236/300 for physics which is 3 raw marks from an A....will it be useful putting for remarking? edexcel AS btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wima3109)
    hey..i scored 232/300 for chem which is 4 raw marks from an A....and 236/300 for physics which is 3 raw marks from an A....will it be useful putting for remarking? edexcel AS btw
    Yes, worth a shot. Best be quick though, the deadline is early next week.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, there is a whatsgroup which is filled of students helping each other on mathematics and the science based subjects, it consists AS & A2 that help each other. Everyone in this group is a student of the student room and it has been running since March this year. If you are interested reply to this message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wima3109)
    ?Have you taken the old spec?

I'd say that's too far off to be worth trying unless you've had the papers back and there's a clear marking error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The chances of anything successful happening are tiny, but only your school (not you) can appeal so you'd need to talk to them about it.
    Is there a deadline? What does an appeal involve ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Cobbold)
    Hello, there is a whatsgroup which is filled of students helping each other on mathematics and the science based subjects, it consists AS & A2 that help each other. Everyone in this group is a student of the student room and it has been running since March this year. If you are interested reply to this message
    Hi mate, could I join the group please? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Is there a deadline? What does an appeal involve ?
    Talk to your school as only they can instigate it but, honestly, it's probably better just accepting the grade you have. The centre has up to 10 days or 2 weeks after the re-mark comes back to appeal but it isn't as simple as just disagreeing with the re-mark result. I don't bother to read the rules again until I have to so don't have them off hand.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your school as only they can instigate it but, honestly, it's probably better just accepting the grade you have. The centre has up to 10 days or 2 weeks after the re-mark comes back to appeal but it isn't as simple as just disagreeing with the re-mark result. I don't bother to read the rules again until I have to so don't have them off hand.
    Thanks. I'm resitting it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 1 raw mark from an A overall in politics with 318ums, I have my place @ uni but should I still go for a remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am in similar position. 1 raw mark off an A* in both economics and geography- so way over grade boundaries. Anyone had OCR economics or AQA geog pre- release papers go up? Already had 2 papers remarked and no change so losing hope.Do examiners get hacked off if you apply so late in the day and thus mark you more harshly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkaclocksx)
    I'm 1 raw mark from an A overall in politics with 318ums, I have my place @ uni but should I still go for a remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's up to you. Did you feel you did better than that mark? Changes to the remark process this year make small increases in marks less likely but you never know ....

(Original post by Septet)
    Am in similar position. 1 raw mark off an A* in both economics and geography- so way over grade boundaries. Anyone had OCR economics or AQA geog pre- release papers go up? Already had 2 papers remarked and no change so losing hope.Do examiners get hacked off if you apply so late in the day and thus mark you more harshly?
    See comment above .... examiners will not be influenced by the date the review arrives.

Good luck - let us know what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Went up 3 raw marks to an A in biology

ReputationRep:
    Today is the last day to request a remark isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostrider)
    Today is the last day to request a remark isn't it?
    It is.

ReputationRep:
    I had AQA English Lit B Unit 3 remarked, I originally got a B overall with a D in LITB3, causing me to miss both my firm (UCL) and insurance (Bristol) for Law, and go through clearing

I had it remarked in September and it went up 41 marks to an A*…. (my paper more than doubled in marks)

So I got robbed of my first choice by a bad examiner and now have to take a gap year to reapply :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)
    I had AQA English Lit B Unit 3 remarked, I originally got a B overall with a D in LITB3, causing me to miss both my firm (UCL) and insurance (Bristol) for Law, and go through clearing

I had it remarked in September and it went up 41 marks to an A*…. (my paper more than doubled in marks)

So I got robbed of my first choice by a bad examiner and now have to take a gap year to reapply :/
    WOW, daylight robbery!! I hope it all works out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)

Whilst this obviously shouldn't have happened, if you had gone for a priority re-mark on Results Day it would have come back in time for you to have got into your choice of university.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst this obviously shouldn't have happened, if you had gone for a priority re-mark on Results Day it would have come back in time for you to have got into your choice of university.
    I had several reasons for not doing that:
    -Primarily, my school advised me (clearly very wrongly) against it as they emphasised the new marking system and how it will be "impossible" for any increase. They really should have taken the time to look at it on a case by case basis and actually help us to decide what the best point of action is.
    -I was in a complete state of panic, I had no university to study at and just became desperate to get in somewhere through clearing, it's something that I feel like people won't understand unless they've been in the situation.
    -I just never would have expected such a monumental increase.

I'm not trying to blame that on anything, but it was just a very stressful time and clearly my thoughts weren't in the right place due to stress. But after my experiences, I would hugely advise anyone to get a priority remark if they feel like their grade is unjustified.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.