Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 A-level Remarks Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey..i scored 232/300 for chem which is 4 raw marks from an A....and 236/300 for physics which is 3 raw marks from an A....will it be useful putting for remarking? edexcel AS btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wima3109)
    hey..i scored 232/300 for chem which is 4 raw marks from an A....and 236/300 for physics which is 3 raw marks from an A....will it be useful putting for remarking? edexcel AS btw
    Yes, worth a shot. Best be quick though, the deadline is early next week.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, there is a whatsgroup which is filled of students helping each other on mathematics and the science based subjects, it consists AS & A2 that help each other. Everyone in this group is a student of the student room and it has been running since March this year. If you are interested reply to this message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wima3109)
    ?Have you taken the old spec?

I'd say that's too far off to be worth trying unless you've had the papers back and there's a clear marking error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The chances of anything successful happening are tiny, but only your school (not you) can appeal so you'd need to talk to them about it.
    Is there a deadline? What does an appeal involve ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Cobbold)
    Hello, there is a whatsgroup which is filled of students helping each other on mathematics and the science based subjects, it consists AS & A2 that help each other. Everyone in this group is a student of the student room and it has been running since March this year. If you are interested reply to this message
    Hi mate, could I join the group please? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginalLifelin)
    Is there a deadline? What does an appeal involve ?
    Talk to your school as only they can instigate it but, honestly, it's probably better just accepting the grade you have. The centre has up to 10 days or 2 weeks after the re-mark comes back to appeal but it isn't as simple as just disagreeing with the re-mark result. I don't bother to read the rules again until I have to so don't have them off hand.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your school as only they can instigate it but, honestly, it's probably better just accepting the grade you have. The centre has up to 10 days or 2 weeks after the re-mark comes back to appeal but it isn't as simple as just disagreeing with the re-mark result. I don't bother to read the rules again until I have to so don't have them off hand.
    Thanks. I'm resitting it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 1 raw mark from an A overall in politics with 318ums, I have my place @ uni but should I still go for a remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am in similar position. 1 raw mark off an A* in both economics and geography- so way over grade boundaries. Anyone had OCR economics or AQA geog pre- release papers go up? Already had 2 papers remarked and no change so losing hope.Do examiners get hacked off if you apply so late in the day and thus mark you more harshly?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkaclocksx)
    I'm 1 raw mark from an A overall in politics with 318ums, I have my place @ uni but should I still go for a remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's up to you. Did you feel you did better than that mark? Changes to the remark process this year make small increases in marks less likely but you never know ....

(Original post by Septet)
    Am in similar position. 1 raw mark off an A* in both economics and geography- so way over grade boundaries. Anyone had OCR economics or AQA geog pre- release papers go up? Already had 2 papers remarked and no change so losing hope.Do examiners get hacked off if you apply so late in the day and thus mark you more harshly?
    See comment above .... examiners will not be influenced by the date the review arrives.

Good luck - let us know what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Went up 3 raw marks to an A in biology

ReputationRep:
    Today is the last day to request a remark isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostrider)
    Today is the last day to request a remark isn't it?
    It is.

ReputationRep:
    I had AQA English Lit B Unit 3 remarked, I originally got a B overall with a D in LITB3, causing me to miss both my firm (UCL) and insurance (Bristol) for Law, and go through clearing

I had it remarked in September and it went up 41 marks to an A*…. (my paper more than doubled in marks)

So I got robbed of my first choice by a bad examiner and now have to take a gap year to reapply :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)
    I had AQA English Lit B Unit 3 remarked, I originally got a B overall with a D in LITB3, causing me to miss both my firm (UCL) and insurance (Bristol) for Law, and go through clearing

I had it remarked in September and it went up 41 marks to an A*…. (my paper more than doubled in marks)

So I got robbed of my first choice by a bad examiner and now have to take a gap year to reapply :/
    WOW, daylight robbery!! I hope it all works out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)

Whilst this obviously shouldn't have happened, if you had gone for a priority re-mark on Results Day it would have come back in time for you to have got into your choice of university.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst this obviously shouldn't have happened, if you had gone for a priority re-mark on Results Day it would have come back in time for you to have got into your choice of university.
    I had several reasons for not doing that:
    -Primarily, my school advised me (clearly very wrongly) against it as they emphasised the new marking system and how it will be "impossible" for any increase. They really should have taken the time to look at it on a case by case basis and actually help us to decide what the best point of action is.
    -I was in a complete state of panic, I had no university to study at and just became desperate to get in somewhere through clearing, it's something that I feel like people won't understand unless they've been in the situation.
    -I just never would have expected such a monumental increase.

I'm not trying to blame that on anything, but it was just a very stressful time and clearly my thoughts weren't in the right place due to stress. But after my experiences, I would hugely advise anyone to get a priority remark if they feel like their grade is unjustified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    WOW, daylight robbery!! I hope it all works out for you
    Thank you! I really do too haha

ReputationRep:
    I dont think this is very helpful comment and Jedwards will be very aware of that now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing... The delay was on the advice from their teacher who almost certainly believed in the anecdotal evidence and statistics from previous cases at their school. They probably feel very guilty for the advice they gave in this case. It was just plain bad luck to have such a poor examiner who marked so badly in the first place and it is the exam boad that is to blame not Jedwards or really the school.
    The number of times an original mark is so badly wrong only happens once in a blue moon at any one school.
    My husband and I are both maths teachers and it happened to our son too this year in maths C3 by 13 ums, which has never happened at our school before. Our collegue tried to tell my son there was no point in a remark as maths never change. But probably because we are both his collegues we argued the toss more than usual parents might and we said for it to go for the priority remarking anyway which came back in his favour.
    What I'm trying to say is that none of this awful upset is Jedwards fault and maybe a tad of sympathy would have been a better idea.
    Jedwards, I hope that you are able to eventually move on from this awful time and gain a place for 2017 at a uni that is right for you and find something suitable to fill your forced gap year. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.