The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOHHammie)
    Is there any way that I can explain that in my applications that a C in one of my A-Levels was one mark off a B, and that this subject was largely self-taught due to a teacher regularly taking leave to assist his ill wife?

I want firms to know about this but I really don't think this qualifies as a mitigating circumstance (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Why not include it if you think it might be and the firm themselves can then take that decision if they think the circumstances warrant it? Could be the difference between an interview and pfo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOHHammie)
    Is there any way that I can explain that in my applications that a C in one of my A-Levels was one mark off a B, and that this subject was largely self-taught due to a teacher regularly taking leave to assist his ill wife?

I want firms to know about this but I really don't think this qualifies as a mitigating circumstance (correct me if I'm wrong)
    i don't think it counts as a mitigating circumstance - as hard as i can understand it would be , it comes across as more of an excuse , and they will think you should have taken issue with your school who should have provided adequate replacements etc.

but you could put it in if there is an 'additional info' section rather than attesting it to be a mitigating circumstance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine.l1995)
    Magic circle, Silver circle and US firms won't take anyone without at least 65% overall and 2.1 in almost all modules! AAA-AAB in A levels also required.
    Completely wrong - please stop sharing incorrect advice.

You do not need at least a 65%.. many have gotten in with lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to Simmons & Simmons? Are we meant to receive the situational judgement test link automatically after submitting application or after its been reviewed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giggy12s)
    Has anyone applied to Simmons & Simmons? Are we meant to receive the situational judgement test link automatically after submitting application or after its been reviewed?
    I believe it's automatically sent and then assessed alongside your application form.

My test was sent the day after I submitted the form and then I got a PFO the day after that

ReputationRep:
    How do firms feels about the grades for the LLM? I did quite well for my LLB but barely scraped a merit for postrgrad

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to Slaughter & May?

If so, how did you go about the application form?
    They say the CL need not be long, but should just include basic information? So, no why law? Why SM and so on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Has anyone applied to Slaughter & May?

If so, how did you go about the application form?
    They say the CL need not be long, but should just include basic information? So, no why law? Why SM and so on?
    I didn't include any of that because they seemed to be pretty adamant that it didn't require it - they seemed to want short and succinct , to the point etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotliketea)
    I didn't include any of that because they seemed to be pretty adamant that it didn't require it - they seemed to want short and succinct , to the point etc.
    So you only included things like explanation of education gaps/extenuating circumstances as they mention?

Also, my CV is currently 2 full pages long - reckon that should be fine?

ReputationRep:
    So you only included things like explanation of education gaps/extenuating circumstances as they mention?

Yes, you are right. But it depends, some people wrote standard cover letters (like why law why slaughters) and got through to the interview stage and for others, including myself, i simply wrote something along the line of im applying for your tc and have attached my cv and look forward to hearing from you blah blah. So it is up to you, but if you choose the former, just be prepared to be asked questions on your cover letter

ReputationRep:
    For those who submitted an HSF app, when I printed my application i got my answers as one massive para, as opposed to 5 different ones like on my word doc - is there a way to fix this?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Sidley Austin is rolling basis for winter vs?

ReputationRep:
    cvmail is down.........

ReputationRep:
    Is Cvmail working for anyone?

ReputationRep:

yep - it seemed more emphasis was placed on grades and usually places are explicit if they want you to go into why them , but if you want to then go for it. i just hate cover letters haha

my CV is also 2 full pages - qualifications are a killer. it's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacschemestudent)
    Yes, you are right. But it depends, some people wrote standard cover letters (like why law why slaughters) and got through to the interview stage and for others, including myself, i simply wrote something along the line of im applying for your tc and have attached my cv and look forward to hearing from you blah blah. So it is up to you, but if you choose the former, just be prepared to be asked questions on your cover letter
    I see... I decided to do the same as you (+an explanation of another qualification). I guess the interview (if I get one that is) will still focus on the usual stuff that most people mention in their cover letter, such as why law, why SM and so on.

(Original post by hotliketea)
    yep - it seemed more emphasis was placed on grades and usually places are explicit if they want you to go into why them , but if you want to then go for it. i just hate cover letters haha

my CV is also 2 full pages - qualifications are a killer. it's fine
    Alright cool... sent it off and just included the basic info. Best of luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I will be attending an interactive applications workshop at Shearman & Sterling. A little unsure about what is expected in terms of preparation for questions. Also will it be assessed?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get the "we have requested your academic reference" email from Jones day and not get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grisham)
    Did anyone get the "we have requested your academic reference" email from Jones day and not get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heyy!

I did! But then I think I received this email when others were already getting interviews and when it was posted on here that apparently all positions for WVS were full! And then I got the rejection the other day! What about yourself??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graduated2016)
    Heyy!

I did! But then I think I received this email when others were already getting interviews and when it was posted on here that apparently all positions for WVS were full! And then I got the rejection the other day! What about yourself??
    Do they not automatically consider you for their other VS since upon applying they ask you for preferences?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.