Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    That's not his decision to make
    Ok, how's "he wanted to stay back and rest so he could be in top condition for his club" ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    Well there wont be evidence as he didn't tell the U21s to shove it. Some people will believe his excuse of fatigue whereas others will think he snubbed them as he thought he was too good for the U21s. If he had said before the squad was announced that he was too tired and needed the summer off, fine, but he didn't. I wouldn't boo any English player, I believe he paid his price for the "snub" and thats the end of it. I wanted him brought on sooner as I've probably watched more Blackburn games than a lot as my mate is a big Rovers fan and seen his talent often.
    It's a shame Economist isn't seeing it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 37927)
    Meh, it's hard to tell these things without much evidence or proof.

I'm sure fans who boo him will get bored soon and start slating Heskey again for being fat but playing well. Oh wait, they already are. Hehe.
    I dont recall Heskey being booed at the game. You could say that people had a claim to boo Bentley as he snubbed the U21s and most fans would give their left testicle to play for their country. What annoyed me were the totally undeserved boos that Phil Neville got.

ReputationRep:
    It was pretty clear at the time Bentley's reasons for pulling out were because there was no way he could play in the U21 tournament and then straight away join up with Blackburn for the Intertoto, which to them was pretty important. So he put club before country. I've got nothing against anyone who does that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 37927)
    But every player is different.
    Yeah some would play for their country no-matter-what

ReputationRep:
    You can remain loyal to both your country and your club. He blamed fatigue but all the top players play a full season and a summer championship every 2 years.

It is his choice, but I dont think it was acceptable and whilst booing might be a bit harsh I think there's good reason for fans to feel hostile towards him
    Last year his season started early playing for Blackburn in the Intertoto cup and his next season was due to start early because Blackburn were in the Intertoto cup once more and the Uefa Cup's second qualifying round after that. If he had participated in the U21 World Cup he would have been playing football consistently (remember Blackburn don't have the luxury of rotating players like the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea) for close to 12 months.

It would have left him in bad stead for the new season with Blackburn and players who have suffered from fatigue in the past, such as Thierry Henry, have shown the negative consequences that can arise from such situations. He decided that he wanted to make himself as fit as possible for his club, Blackburn. Of course he was going to give it a miss. You seem like one of the fans who would 'feel hostile towards him' now but then start singing his praises once he scores for England :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarlyStarlet)
    Ok, how's "he wanted to stay back and rest so he could be in top condition for his club" ?
    Not really acceptable, since loads of other players do it and I somehow doubt he would have done it if it was England XI

ReputationRep:
    Well Bentley is obviously different. And he has full right to be, every player has his own personality and loyalties and I don't respect him any less for pulling out.

Club > country, or country > club, it's one and the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leavis2)
    It would have left him in bad stead for the new season with Blackburn and players who have suffered from fatigue in the past, such as Thierry Henry, have shown the negative consequences that can arise from such situations. He decided that he wanted to make himself as fit as possible for his club, Blackburn. Of course he was going to give it a miss. You seem like one of the fans who would 'feel hostile towards him' now but then start singing his praises once he scores for England :rolleyes:
    No, im not fickle. I form my own opinion over a number of games rather than a one game wonder or listening to the media rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    I dont recall Heskey being booed at the game. You could say that people had a claim to boo Bentley as he snubbed the U21s and most fans would give their left testicle to play for their country. What annoyed me were the totally undeserved boos that Phil Neville got.
    Nono, not Heskey being booed, just criticised. :p:

I didn't hear Neville getting booed. That was a weird one though if he did.

ReputationRep:
    Or that some are fitter than others

ReputationRep:
    No, im not fickle. I form my own opinion over a number of games rather than a one game wonder or listening to the media rubbish
    Yes, i like the way you ignored the rest of my argument :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 37927)
    Or that some are fitter than others
    Do you find Bentley particularly attractive? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 37927)
    Nono, not Heskey being booed, just criticised. :p:

I didn't hear Neville getting booed. That was a weird one though if he did.
    Neville got booed when he came on for some reason (N)

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how much influence Hughes had on Bentley's decision since he wanted to withdraw him from the U21 in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leavis2)
    Yes, i like the way you ignored the rest of my argument :rolleyes:
    Ive pretty much already addressed it in previous posts

ReputationRep:
    Not really acceptable, since loads of other players do it and I somehow doubt he would have done it if it was England XI
    OK think of it this way. Through your view as well you can't really accuse Bentley of anything. If you were a half-decent player and felt you were proven enough to feature for the first team then surely you'd reserve the right of whether or not you wanted to play for the U21s. If a player has ability and feels he has nothing to prove then he has the right to wait out his chance to feature in the first team. That's basic psychology right there - he can't be blamed for that.

But that's not the way I've been viewing the situation. It's all a matter of choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Do you find Bentley particularly attractive? :p:
    Well, not as much as Rooney :hubba:

Or Gary Neville #camp#

ReputationRep:
    Top man! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    And some couldn't care about playing for their Country in the slightest.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.