This discussion is closed.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by studentbug)
Hi

What is your opinion (if any) of Manchester's BSC in economics ?
I don't have much experience but my prejudice would be that it's high TAELT rank may be a reflection of big city bias (i.e. a top student city) rather than necessarily a top econ department.

(Original post by studentbug)
Have you personally had any experiences with Manchester BSC graduates at Warwick?

thanks
no.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Added the following new question and answer:
How do the Newspaper ratings compare with the TAELT ratings?
The big differences seem to be for cities with large populations. The following unis are significantly higher in TAELT than in the newspapers (with size ratings for English cities in brackets):
Manchester 400,000 (7th largest)
Leeds 450,000 (4th largest)
Newcastle 190,00 (20th largest)
Cardiff 320,000
Reading 230,000 (17th largest)
This suggests that students want to get into large unis with exciting nightlife (even when the economics department is not that academically strong). This would result in courses having lots of applicants and hence high typical offers and average entry tariffs. Such unis would appear highly on TAELT but not in the newspaper League tables.

And it is important to understand that the typical offer and Entry Standards should reflect all good (and bad) qualities that a uni has. So it is no good thinking that a uni is high in TAELT and has a good nightlife and so moving it mentally further up the table (unlike you would with the newspaper tables). Finally the following article suggests that students may be happier in smaller unis anyway:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoo...p-20-plac.html
joeyyyt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know if you already know this but Sheffield BSc is ABB http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/economics...eug/entry.html , may affect the tables a bit and might explain why the average student is a lot higher than the typical. Cheers for all your info has been really helpful in making decisions.
joeyyyt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know if you already knew but BSc at Sheffield (L101) requires ABB not BBB, http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/economics...eug/entry.html, I dont know if you'd already taken this into consideration or not, and may affect the table and explain why they are coloured blue. Sorry if you have already taken this into account.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by joeyyyt)
I don't know if you already knew but BSc at Sheffield (L101) requires ABB not BBB, http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/economics...eug/entry.html, I dont know if you'd already taken this into consideration or not, and may affect the table and explain why they are coloured blue. Sorry if you have already taken this into account.
The main "sort" criterea is the L100 course which at Sheffield in 2009 is the Ba which is BBB unlike the BSc L101 which is ABB:
31) Sheffield Ba: BBB-BBbb (Bsc:ABB-BBbb) 369

However in 2010 the BA will also be ABB so when I do TAELT 2010 Sheffield will be moved to an ABB group.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paulwhy)
The main "sort" criterea is the L100 course which at Sheffield in 2009 is the Ba which is BBB unlike the BSc L101 which is ABB:

However in 2010 the BA will also be ABB so when I do TAELT 2010 Sheffield will be moved to an ABB group.
Also maybe I should be looking to treat Manchester in a similar way by having 1 entry with BA being the main one as the BA is L100 and the BSc has a lot less students.
Roundabout
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bristol's 2010 prospectus is out:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/.../36/admissions
For economics:
Entry Requirements

A Levels AAA - AAB including grade A in Mathematics
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roundabout)
Bristol's 2010 prospectus is out:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/.../36/admissions
For economics:
Updated Bristol's entry:
8) Bristol AAA-ABB including A in Mathematics (2010 AAA-AAB) M** E**p 458 H 55 places 1040 applicants
Paulwhy
Rep:
?

I am intending to put Sheffield into the ABB.2 group in 2010:
31) Sheffield Ba: BBB-BBbb (2010 Ba ABB) (2009/2010 Bsc:ABB-BBbb) (2010 ABB.2: 22% of students < 320 points) 369
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Added in EXTRA 2009 info:
Why are some universities followed by an X?
The X means that the uni is currently in Extra 2009 for Economics.
Note that unis appear in Extra unless they have told UCAS they have enough applicants. So there may be some false positives in these early days.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
If I search for 'Economics league table' in google TAELT is the 5th link listed. (Below the Times Table and above The Telegraph and The Guardian). So 2 down and 1 to go.
natty_d
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I search for 'Economics league table' in google TAELT is the 5th link listed. (Below the Times Table and above The Telegraph and The Guardian). So 2 down and 1 to go.
you're awesome Paulwhy..

such a great help on this forum :yes:
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by natty_d)
you're awesome Paulwhy..

such a great help on this forum
Well I would like to think that the google search algorithm was clever enough to assess poster awesomeness. But I am not sure that even google is that clever
natty_d
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I would like to think that the google search algorithm was clever enough to assess poster awesomeness. But I not sure that even google is that clever

any wise words for the day?
hamzab
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Paulwhy, where do you see Loughborough, Queen mary, City over the next few years?

Also, is there a BIG difference between say Loughborough and Exeter? As times put it at only one place apart?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by hamzab)
Paulwhy, where do you see Loughborough, Queen mary, City over the next few years?
Trying to predictions over 3 or 4 years is a mugs game. But you should be aiming for the AAB.2.1 unis rather than the 3 you mention.

(Original post by hamzab)

Also, is there a BIG difference between say Loughborough and Exeter? As times put it at only one place apart?
Well firstly you need to look at the subject specific tables for a start!
(But yes in the Times overall table Loughborough is 12th, Exeter 13th)

In Economics specific ratings:
Exeter is (10th Times, 13th Independent, Guardian 12th)
Loughborough (16th Times. 25th Independent, 23rd Guardian)

TAELT has Exeter in 12th Loughborough in 24th, which interestingly are very similar figures to the newspaper figures (excluding the Loughborough Times outlier).
hamzab
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Trying to predictions over 3 or 4 years is a mugs game. But you should be aiming for the AAB.2.1 unis rather than the 3 you mention.

Well firstly you need to look at the subject specific tables for a start!
(But yes in the Times overall table Loughborough is 12th, Exeter 13th)

In Economics specific ratings:
Exeter is (10th Times, 13th Independent, Guardian 12th)
Loughborough (16th Times. 25th Independent, 23rd Guardian)

TAELT has Exeter in 12th Loughborough in 24th, which interestingly are very similar figures to the newspaper figures (excluding the Loughborough Times outlier).
Thanks Paul! You've helped me find another great Uni! Exeter!

And they dont need Maths A2, but I think its best if i took the gap year and did it, or should I apply for it first and if God forbid I dont get in, apply for it the second time with Maths A2 to bolster my application?

EDIT: As you told me in my other thread a good indication is a BSc course, however Exeter do a BA, is this bad?
dangaming
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol look at the article above. Andrew Oswald from your University critisizing university leauge tables. Was he inspiration for you starting TAELT perhaps?
Economies_of_scale
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's good to see Cambridge in its rightful spot, Paul. :tongue:
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
UCL is A*AA in 2010:
4) UCL AAAe (2010 A*AA (A* in Maths)) M**A 459
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/...shs/economics/
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads