UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

m4n0ran
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rezarjk)
Just did mine this morning. It was all a bit hectic because I just got back from a choir tour in Germany so I only really was able to prepare a little yesterday and a bit before the exam. I was pretty scared because this was the first time I'd looked at it and I couldn't do the online paper at all in the time limit. I got

Is this any good? Average is 735 which is above the 600 average but would it be considered an outstanding score or just a pretty good one. I thought I did pretty bad on some sections. I ask because I'm thinking of applying to either 1 or 2 BMATs (Cambridge + ?Imperial?) depending on how good the UKCAT went but with a score like this I'm not entirely sure (if it had been 800 or so average then I would've been going for just 1 BMAT). They seem to say that you can't tell how good your score is because it's so new, but any help? Is anyone keeping a running average of this thread?

cheers
All I can say is that your range in scores for each section could be a problem.
{حبيب}
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
quick question, how long are the texts in the verbal reasoning section?
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by {حبيب})
quick question, how long are the texts in the verbal reasoning section?
Look at the examples on the UKCAT website.
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is a question for all the people that have already done their UKCAT... Do you guys have any advice on the verbal reasoning section? Cos I can't seem to improve on that and it's my worst section.
FTC199
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by m4n0ran)
All I can say is that your range in scores for each section could be a problem.
how would you know this? The universities base their assessment of a candidates UKCAT score on the average score
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why does everybody seem to be getting their best score in the quantative bit? Surely shouldn't it be a bit more random? Seems like everyone loves a bit of maths round here
Myoclonic Jerk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Princess_)
This is a question for all the people that have already done their UKCAT... Do you guys have any advice on the verbal reasoning section? Cos I can't seem to improve on that and it's my worst section.
Like I've said before, try to do a bit of reading (new stuff) in the few days before the test - maybe from a newspaper or something - and see how quickly you can pick up the key ideas from the article. You might be surprised how much easier it becomes once you've 'warmed up'.

Apart from that, just make sure that your answers are justified by the text - don't let your own knowledge come into it. And try the questions on the UKCAT website, mark your answers, and try to work out why the ones you got wrong were wrong. (Open the non-timed version of the test to go through it again with the answers.)

In the answer key to the short practice test, it explains why the answer is what it is - make use of this, as it shows the sort of things that are likely to catch you out.

That's all I did... not sure whether the preparation books are any good as I've never even looked at one, perhaps someone else can advise on this?

When's your exam?
Myoclonic Jerk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Raquel//)
Why does everybody seem to be getting their best score in the quantative bit? Surely shouldn't it be a bit more random? Seems like everyone loves a bit of maths round here
Either that, or maybe the comparison group weren't very good at maths...
Kelly^2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine's on the 21st and i haven't started prep yet. absolutely scared ****less! I will do loads of prep between now and then - promising myself.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i promise that my maths will be my worst score tomorrow. i am dreading it.
Kelly^2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
iheartvet - I think being calm (as hard as it may be) is one of the best things you can do in a test like this, try and get a good sleep so you feel fresh.
What sort of preperation did everyone do, just out of interest?
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
Like I've said before, try to do a bit of reading (new stuff) in the few days before the test - maybe from a newspaper or something - and see how quickly you can pick up the key ideas from the article. You might be surprised how much easier it becomes once you've 'warmed up'.

Apart from that, just make sure that your answers are justified by the text - don't let your own knowledge come into it. And try the questions on the UKCAT website, mark your answers, and try to work out why the ones you got wrong were wrong. (Open the non-timed version of the test to go through it again with the answers.)

In the answer key to the short practice test, it explains why the answer is what it is - make use of this, as it shows the sort of things that are likely to catch you out.

That's all I did... not sure whether the preparation books are any good as I've never even looked at one, perhaps someone else can advise on this?

When's your exam?
Oh okay. Thanks I think the main problem with me is that I confuse the false stuff with the 'can't tell' stuff.

My exam is on the 20th. I originally had it for the 10th cos I wanted to have it before the exam so that exam results couldn't affect my attitude, but my passport expired and I had to apply for a new one, so changed the date. There's still time to go, but I wanna improve on the verbal reasoning and the only way I can do that is by preparing lots before the exam.

Thanks a bunch on your advice
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iheartvet)
i promise that my maths will be my worst score tomorrow. i am dreading it.
Don't say that. Think positively
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best! Sorry to be such a cynic...haha.
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best! Sorry to be such a cynic...haha.
Lol that's exactly how I'm like and I'll probably be worrying as much as you are the few days before my exam.

I wanna get an average of at least 650 or around that. If I don't then I'm screwed.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're screwed if you don't get the mark that you want. It just means that you had better compose a very convincing and compelling personal statement!
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're screwed if you don't get the mark that you want. It just means that you had better compose a very convincing and compelling personal statement!
not really...the ukcat is only used to filter people with a score below the critical score for that university...after that it plays no part in the selection procedure. so basically all you have to do is make sure you get a score that will be over average and you're fine.
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol yeah. If I get below 600, I'll cry and give up on medicine. My UKCAT score is basically the be all and end all for me ina way. If I get a good UKCAT score, then it'll make it easier for me in pursuing my goal to do medicine and vice versa.
m4n0ran
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
not really...the ukcat is only used to filter people with a score below the critical score for that university...after that it plays no part in the selection procedure. so basically all you have to do is make sure you get a score that will be over average and you're fine.
Something tells me that's not true. Otherwise it would just say fail or pass surely, and there would be no point in specific scores?
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by m4n0ran)
Something tells me that's not true. Otherwise it would just say fail or pass surely, and there would be no point in specific scores?
Nah it is true. Certain universities have requirements in the UKCAT score. So if you go below that requirement they wont consider you. For each uni, the minimum score is different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.43%
No - but I will (48)
6.86%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.29%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (332)
47.43%

Watched Threads