Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymity007)
    I still don't understand how a friend of mind got an offer with 16.5 on the bmat...surely everyone here would have got an offer then if that were true?

Just for the record

Downing is *8&£:&:8&:&&/@/@[email protected]@[email protected]@- !!!!! (notice how I didn't **** off Cambridge, as I still respect it's prestige)
    LOL i'm still at a loss at how you were rejected.

what were your section 1 and 2 scores?

i think the stephen hawkings of the 17/18 year old UK population applied to downing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    LOL i'm still at a loss at how you were rejected.

what were your section 1 and 2 scores?

i think the stephen hawkings of the 17/18 year old UK population applied to downing
    LOL...
    4.1, 5.8, 13.5
    very low, but his were just as bad

ReputationRep:
    LOL...
    4.1, 5.8, 13.5
    sorry to rub salt in the wound, but that S1 score sort of explains it.

you got offers/interviews from anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    LOL...
    4.1, 5.8, 13.5
    If Cambridge really puts a lot of weight on BMAT S1 and S2, then that's why.

And he probably didn't apply to Downing.

Different colleges weigh different sections differently. They are pretty independent.

ReputationRep:
    "GCSE's: 10A*s 1A

AS: Bio 300/300, Geo 300/300, Chem 293/300 and Maths (whole A2 as doing further maths this year) 588/600

BMAT: 6.1 6.7 12"

this person got into Caius. now that my friends...is what you needed.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to rub salt in the wound, but that S1 score sort of explains it.

you got offers/interviews from anywhere else?
    hmm yeh your right..though 4.4, 6.1 isn't exactly amazing either (what he got)
    nope, not yet...I'm hoping UCL give me an interview date soon, so my exam prep is still fresh, as they give quite academic interviews as well (obv on a different level to cambridge)

ReputationRep:
    "GCSE's: 10A*s 1A

AS: Bio 300/300, Geo 300/300, Chem 293/300 and Maths (whole A2 as doing further maths this year) 588/600

BMAT: 6.1 6.7 12"

this person got into Caius. now that my friends...is what you needed.
    I think what you need is a fantastic BMAT S1 and S2. If you don't have that, then your interview needs to be literally amazing.

ReputationRep:
    If someone finds me a person with very high BMAT S1 and S2, who has been straight rejected, I'll eat my non-existent hat :p:

ReputationRep:
    tbh i think gcses and AS UMS are a much better tool in determining the best candidates than the bmat (which is only one exam). i mean how can you virtually base the selection purely on one exam.

as you can see i'm quite angry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    If someone finds me a person with very high BMAT S1 and S2, who has been straight rejected, I'll eat my non-existent hat :p:
    Someone from NMM got 6.1,6.1 in S1 & 2 and got rejected from Clare.

He had 6.5A* and aaaabb in AS.

tbh i think gcses and AS UMS are a much better tool in determining the best candidates than the bmat (which is only one exam). i mean how can you virtually base the selection purely on one exam.

as you can see i'm quite angry
    I think interview should be king. We don't want a generation of arrogant *******s becoming doctors now, do we?

ReputationRep:
    Medics don't have automatic pooling.

To be fair, I was surprised it was straight rejection as well. I thought my interviews didn't go too badly, bar silly mistakes because I was nervous.

Oh well, the competition this year must have been intense.
    Yes, Oxbridge seems to be really harsh this year. First Adream, then you guys.

ReputationRep:
    My BMAT score was pretty average with 5.0, 6.1 and 12. (I'm a reject)
    I got 9A* and 2A
    And then Aaaaab.
    =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    Yes, Oxbridge seems to be really harsh this year. First Adream, then you guys.
    bakster, i propose a "i hate oxbridge" thread. since i've been rejected, and i won't be applying there anymore, i don't care what they think of me

ReputationRep:
    It seems that Cambridge certainly do place a ridiculous emphasis on the BMAT, with their correlation graphs and all that... A shame really, because we're not told that this is the case pre-application (and I never knew Clare College rejected on the basis of BMAT alone, which I think highlights just how important Cambridge view it). Certainly not everyone religiously prepares for the BMAT, but if it is indeed the overriding factor in admissions, then maybe we should.

If they downplay it then perhaps they're trying to mop up on people who want "Oxbridge" & get deterred by Oxford's overt publicized use of it..?

But Oxbridge have used admissions tests for ages - it was the OMAT (the one I got to enjoy! ) and MVAT before the BMAT & Cambridge were particularly involved in the BMAT development, weren't they? (Off the top of my head the papers about predictive ability were based on cambridge students in subsequent exams & it's a Cambridge Assessment administrated one?)
    So if someone had asked me whether aptitude tests were an important part of Oxbridge admissions in medicine that you should take pretty seriously (if not religiously!) I would have said yes. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    bakster, i propose a "i hate oxbridge" thread. since i've been rejected, and i won't be applying there anymore, i don't care what they think of me
    I've already made the banners. :p:

ReputationRep:
    i dont know about the weight on s1 and s2 of BMAT, i only got 5.3 and 5 in those and i got an offer. Was it said that they only look at those two sections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    If they downplay it then perhaps they're trying to mop up on people who want "Oxbridge" & get deterred by Oxford's overt publicized use of it..?

Oxbridge have used admissions tests for ages - it was the OMAT (the one I did!) and MVAT before the BMAT & Cambridge were particularly involved in the BMAT development, weren't they? (Off the top of my head the papers about predictive ability were based on cambridge students in subsequent exams & it's a Cambridge Assessment administrated one?)

So if someone had asked me whether aptitude tests were an important part of Oxbridge admissions in medicine that you should take pretty seriously (if not religiously!) I would have said yes. :dontknow:
    Haha, I dunno about others, but I was deterred by Oxford itself.

I know that Oxbridge have been using "aptitude" tests for a long time, but I wasn't aware that they appear to be the overriding factor in decisions. Certainly, BMAT wasn't used that much when it was first introduced because no one knew about it's predictitive validity. Even when Cambridge Assessment published data linking BMAT S1 and S2 with the chance of getting a first, I still didn't imagine it would be the overriding factor, and a low score would effectively deselect. I mean, whilst it probably is, statistically, a good judge of ability... it's still a multiple choice exam. I just don't feel it should be the overriding factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
    i dont know about the weight on s1 and s2 of BMAT, i only got 5.3 and 5 in those and i got an offer. Was it said that they only look at those two sections?
    don't disprove our theory!

:p:

ReputationRep:
    don't disprove our theory!

:p:
    lol sorry

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else here waiting to hear from Southampton?? :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.