Turn on thread page Beta

Let's all laugh at the Tories! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    there are two issues, 1) if Howard gives the media what they want ie. get Blair on the rack. apply the pressure. if he doesnt go far enough then it will come back on him
    2) how much the the BBC are willing to drop their anti-right wing agenda to get revenge on Blair.
    The first point i agree with. It is important for him to push the point hard. But then, if there are any skeletons in his closet, if they come out, then they will be generate alot more negative press.
    But i do not believe that the BBC are anti-right, and cant remember any occasion that they have come across as so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    The first point i agree with. It is important for him to push the point hard. But then, if there are any skeletons in his closet, if they come out, then they will be generate alot more negative press.
    over the Hutton Inquiry, how?

But i do not believe that the BBC are anti-right, and cant remember any occasion that they have come across as so.
    hehe, not this again..

ReputationRep:
    over the Hutton Inquiry, how?
    No, not over the Inquiry. I just mean in general

hehe, not this again..
    Again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    No, not over the Inquiry. I just mean in general
    ok.

Again?
    its been in 2 other threads.

ReputationRep:
    its been in 2 other threads.
    So it seems that it is popular opinion, that the BBC is not anti-right

ReputationRep:
    those that can afford 10,000 or 2,000?

get government money?
    direct to the NHS? they wont reduce spending into the public sector, and bearing mind demand will fall, that is equivalent to an increase in spending per bed.
    Why should the NHS pay rich people (yes, you have to be rich to be able to afford the defecit) to use private healthcare. Private care is not cheap. The NHS can do operations for much smaller amounts. By giving £3K to rich people to go private would mean that £3K would come out of the NHS budget. This could have been used to buy more equipent which can be beneficial for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Why should the NHS pay rich people (yes, you have to be rich to be able to afford the defecit) to use private healthcare. Private care is not cheap. The NHS can do operations for much smaller amounts. By giving £3K to rich people to go private would mean that £3K would come out of the NHS budget. This could have been used to buy more equipent which can be beneficial for everyone.
    Everyone except the rich people who are too busy using private healthcare, whether or not there is any subsidy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    ah thanks
    the tories have always gone for the middle/working class vote, as they were a centre ground party. if they didnt have the support of those people they wouldnt have been in power for 18 years.

the reason they lost in 1997 was because of:
    1) black wednesday (in 1992 when interest rates went sky-high because of the crash in the value of the pound)
    2) tony blair stole the tories clothes and occupied the centre ground they had previously been occupying
    So what makes the Tories any better than in 1997 or 2001 then? The results said to them that they had to 'change or die' - where's the change? Seems still like dead wood to me.

Modernisers should break away. The present Tory party is an embarrasment of conservatism.

ReputationRep:
    Modernisers should break away. The present Tory party is an embarrasment of conservatism.
    And go where???

ReputationRep:
    did you not read what you replied to?
    the NHS is the state, there is no NHS which is detached from state control or spending. to say the NHS pays rich people is the wrong way around.

ReputationRep:
    can you explain both sentences?

ReputationRep:
    can you explain both sentences?
    Yes of course I will .

The Tory party have deep division between modernisers and traditionalists. The Tory party to survive need to make changes in order to be an electable alternative. If the divisions are too deep then the modernisers should jump ship ASAP.

The country needs a centre-right, modern, conservative party. The current one is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    did you not read what you replied to?
    the NHS is the state, there is no NHS which is detached from state control or spending. to say the NHS pays rich people is the wrong way around.
    Yes I did read thankyou.

The NHS is funded by the state. It has a fixed income. It is not the state.

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course I will .

The Tory party have deep division between modernisers and traditionalists.
    As do the Labour party.

The Tory party to survive need to make changes in order to be an electable alternative. If the divisions are too deep then the modernisers should jump ship ASAP.
    it possibly needs to change on presentational and structural bases. it is an electable alternative.

The country needs a centre-right, modern, conservative party. The current one is a joke.
    i dont know what you mean by modern in relation to conservatism...

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did read thankyou.

The NHS is funded by the state. It has a fixed income. It is not the state.
    thats what i meant. the NHS has an income that is taken from the state. money given to private health users is not coming from the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    sorry my other thread went for sum reason

ok so tony or mike whats your views?
    persoanlyl i think that no matter what tony has to go right , and what do the lib dems have to offer , (nothing) kennedy would have a mental breakdown in a matter of weeks with this stress load, so i say bring on howard

ReputationRep:
    You changed your thread slightly, before you said all three leaders were rubbish and you asked whether we thought Tony Blair had actually done anything good.

Anyway, this is what i typed before:
    I think Charles Kennedy is a good leader for the liberal democrats. He's done a better job than some of the previous leaders of the liberal democrats. Looking at the country at its current state i'd say that Tony Blair has not done a very good job. Although i think it could be a few years before you see a Conservative party in office let alone Michael Howard.

the Tories or every political party? all have identical policies regarding candidate representation.

many prominent black personalities in the US have called for the black population to actually consider that en masse blind voting for the Democratic party may not be in their interests.

there is no point shouting louder if no one is listening.

Yes they do, but the Tories stand out as not doing very well in the area of minority MPs. For all you might see it as illogical, its something that will be used as a stick to beat them with until they address it. If we assume the Tories are pretty much at rock bottom in terms of numbers of MPs, then it can't do them any harm to try and make themselves mor appealing for ethnic minority and female candidates. At the moment, there may be many such who would make excellent Tory MPs who are put off by the current state of affairs- its in the party's own interests to do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    admittldy i dont want any of them , i want to do it msyelf , u know what i mean, i see what needs to be done, bu the thing is we are so in debt now coz of mr brown, things are not getting done.

ReputationRep:
    thats what i meant. the NHS has an income that is taken from the state. money given to private health users is not coming from the NHS.
    Yes, the NHS will pay them.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.