Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mascot of NI)
    The anticipation for the results day is killing me. I just want to know what I got now. I don't even care if I completely failed as long as I find out what it says on the piece of paper.
    I wonder if they're going to drop the A-A* percentage.

(Original post by Dalek1099)
    ...but I want to get A*s in them all, which I call a A* Baccalaureate.
    Haha, you're making my parents seem harsh; I know a levels are much more important than GCSES so I don't mind because when its my turn, I know they'll be squabbling over me. They're trying to organise my brothers halls, loans etc so I don't expect them to be all over me about my results right now- especially on a level results day..

And now I'm confused. I knew about the EBC, but did you make up the a* one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    Haha, you're making my parents seem harsh; I know a levels are much more important than GCSES so I don't mind because when its my turn, I know they'll be squabbling over me.

And now I'm confused. I knew about the EBC, but did you make it up the a* one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think he did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Levingne)
    I'm only getting a few results this year and the rest next year but I'm still worried.
    That's how I felt last year. It gets worse when you know that there is no next year, trust me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsjmcgrath)
    I didn't ask what UMS. But they were mostly quite good subjects; English Lit., History, R.S., Psychology and Geography (which she self taught). The other two, Critical Thinking (which you can do at my school if you didn't get any Cs at GCSE) and General Studies aren't as important. Barely any universities regard General Studies as an acceptable AS or A-Level so you do have a point.

I was sort of considering whether I should self teach another subject - I'm taking Maths, History, Economics and Product Design. I'm just worried that some universities might disregard Product Design. I'm taking it because I'm not sure where I want to go in terms of career (choice between Law, Politics or something design related) and I'm also rather good at it, but now I'm leaning towards the Law or Politics side of things I'm wondering whether universities might think I'm just trying to get "easy points." For the record, I'm also Grade 6 in Piano, I'll probably be Grade 7 hopefully by the end of AS so that grants me some UCAS points but not a tonne really. What do you think?
    General Studies isn't counted by any university as far as I know, Critical Studies is considered a useful qualification by some universities but I'm pretty sure most universities don't judge applicants by it but its a lot more respected by universities than General Studies.So 5 real AS's 4A's and 1B nothing incredible on TSR-L Evil Fish will thrash that.AS's aren't that important because you can't get an A* though but still much more important than GCSE's.At AS, its the UMS that really matters because you can't achieve an A*.

(Original post by zed963)
    I think he did.
    Why would you make that up though? Lol

Plus, the EBCs have been scrapped too..

http://www.theguardian.com/education...ths-curriculum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)

2 marks off an A* in Maths A2. (resit)
    1 mark off an A in History AS.(remark)

Remark that Maths A2, how could you not get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, shut the **** up. I don't know oh great maths lord.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Maths is either right or wrong. I doubt there's much hope in getting a re mark but he could still try.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you're making my parents seem harsh; I know a levels are much more important than GCSES so I don't mind because when its my turn, I know they'll be squabbling over me. They're trying to organise my brothers halls, loans etc so I don't expect them to be all over me about my results right now- especially on a level results day..

And now I'm confused. I knew about the EBC, but did you make up the a* one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course the A* Baccalaureate isn't anything official, all it represents is the achievement of A*s in the 6 subjects required fro the English Baccalaureate.I think its the top achievement you can really get in academia at GCSE level-you can get loads of A*s but not everyone was able to take loads of subjects etc.Achieving the English Baccalaureate is an absolute must though its almost as bad as not getting 5A*-C including English and Maths.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Why would you make that up though? Lol

Plus, the EBCs have been scrapped too..

http://www.theguardian.com/education...ths-curriculum

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I was totally pissed off when my head of year told me. I could have got a straight set of A&A*s if I never did French and Geography. FML
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Of course the A* Baccalaureate isn't anything official, all it represents is the achievement of A*s in the 6 subjects required fro the English Baccalaureate.I think its the top achievement you can really get in academia at GCSE level-you can get loads of A*s but not everyone was able to take loads of subjects etc.Achieving the English Baccalaureate is an absolute must though its almost as bad as not getting 5A*-C including English and Maths.
    That is a whole load of CRAP. NO one cares about it nor do the teachers or schools very much. It's just another statistic to compare schools. But seriously there's no point of having it. It just forces people to do other subjects which they may or may not like.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who admires how this thread has racked up 3,500 posts with a whole week to go still?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully got 5 A* or more!

Yeah I was totally pissed off when my head of year told me. I could have got a straight set of A&A*s if I never did French and Geography. FML
    I was never told, I just realised from the convo with dalek62528

Haha, I probably would've picked the same subjects as I did but I was annoyed that RS was compulsory and I wasn't allowed a tech subject- I desperately wanted to do resistant materials or graphics but I go to a catholic school so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I was never told, I just realised from the convo with dalek62528

Haha, I probably would've picked the same subjects as I did but I was annoyed that RS was compulsory and I wasn't allowed a tech subject- I desperately wanted to do resistant materials or graphics but I go to a catholic school so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would have given up French and Geography and chosen something else.

But then again a MFL is highly regarded so I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if they're going to drop the A-A* percentage.
    It is impossible to tell but you never know. Exam boards can be really random
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollipopsftw)
    Hopefully got 5 A* or more!
    That's what I'm hoping for as well.

And I should get it considering I've already got one, I only need 4 more .
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mascot of NI)
    It is impossible to tell but you never know. Exam boards can be really random
    I pretty confident that they might do something this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Thanks, hopefully theyshall be higher soon

What exam were you on for A level maths? And what did you get in C3 and C4?

Edit: very well done, amazing results!
    im really trying to neg Dalek after that comment! But it keeps on saying please rate other members before rating this member again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.