Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Somali Society Mk III Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Gyrls I gotto ask question to youz lot. Don't you miss the rain & sun in you hairrr? Wallahi that is one big thing I miss so badly afta wearing the headscarf innit. Guys, youz so lucky fam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    I honestly can't remember as I was 4. You'll adjust slowly. If you move into a compound, your lifestyle won't differ much from what your used to in the UK. If you live in a compound, you'll most probably live with a lot of Europeans/Americans and can go about having a regular social life since compounds have pretty much everything (pools, halls with events, supermarkets, restaurants etc), it's not so bad. It'll only be an issue if you move into an appartment/villa that isn't located in a compound since you won't be able to access things like a gym, pool, supermarket etc with ease. I live in an apartment so it's really hard for my family but oh well. You'll be fine, honestly, but you'll need to get used to relying on your Dad for transport and staying at home a lot more.

It's JPGS (won't mention the entire name for security reasons). I've always wanted to go to Georgetown and Duke university and Inshallah i'll get in if I continue to do well in school.

My life isn't that exciting trust me. I'm Somali American and have lived in the US for a year before moving here. Moving there shouldn't be too much of a culture shock since I travel to Europe/America every summer, i'm used to the Western life style too I'm honestly not too sure but it'll probably be either maths, biology/chemistry, economics or finance/accounting. Need to decide whether i'm more interested in a science/business related career. How about you? And yes, you've used the correct terminology but it's ''major in'' not ''major as'.

P.S. the rules aren't too bad. Just wear an abaya and scarf (there are religious police in the malls that come up to you if they realise that you're muslim and force you to wear your head scarf, no joke) when your going out. Don't talk to non-mahram's in public for no apparent reason, don't get rides from non-mahrams etc. See, it's not too bad!
    Ahh thanks for all this info. Glad I met u here lool
    Oh okay so its not too bad then. Thanks, I'll try and get into this mindset from now.

Right no prob. Alright, okay insha'Allah you'll get in no prob.

Wow you've travelled a lot then. That's still pretty cool lol, travelling is an awesome thing.
    Lol, ahh yes us westernish girls.
    Wow you have some awesome subs. Pretty tough but still awesome All the best lol.
    I love love English, I still have no idea what I want to do. I speak both English and French fluently so I'm thinking of studying languages properly. We'll see I guess. I wanna c what saudi has to offer I'm also very interested in Islamic studies and it would be a dream of mine to become a scholar of Islam so I really am stuck in a complex maze at the moment lol. Just going with the flow for now.

Well I already wear an abaya plus scarf here lol so no biggy. I know they're crazy. And women can't drive etc... Ohhhhh no talking to boys Lol joking I'm used to that as well. Staying at home a lot isnt much of a problem as well as I'm home educated so not exposed to the outside world too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys should we all do a soundcloud?! Say yesss!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chukkeigh)
    Guys should we all do a soundcloud?! Say yesss!!
    Im down yo, obvs i got the voracoo tho

ReputationRep:
    Gyrls I gotto ask question to youz lot. Don't you miss the rain & sun in you hairrr? Wallahi that is one big thing I miss so badly afta wearing the headscarf innit. Guys, youz so lucky fam.
    The breeze blowing my hair made me feel so hot :rofl:
    The wind and rain used to make it go too crazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimeCrazy)
    Arabic, (Wouldnt it be cool whilst I was reading the Quran I knew the meaning?)

Japanese because i love em xD

And Dutch because I was born in Holland but moved when I was little so cant remember **** all Really need to learn that asap.
    Lol very interesting all Awesome languages.

ReputationRep:
    lol nah gyal I don't I have never even thought of that hun. I am not even a big fan of the sun I prefer winter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Im down yo, obvs i got the voracoo tho
    Go onnn then.

ReputationRep:
    Go onnn then.
    make sum, I made dem yesteday if u look bak thru the thred. lets converse yo.. set pace.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this thread dead today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulxxx)
    apprntly da membas hav lives beyondd tsr but u cn converse wid me if u feelin lonly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    apprntly da membas hav lives beyondd tsr but u cn converse wid me if u feelin lonly
    No they don't. And no thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thanks for all this info. Glad I met u here lool
    Oh okay so its not too bad then. Thanks, I'll try and get into this mindset from now.

Right no prob. Alright, okay insha'Allah you'll get in no prob.

Wow you've travelled a lot then. That's still pretty cool lol, travelling is an awesome thing.
    Lol, ahh yes us westernish girls.
    Wow you have some awesome subs. Pretty tough but still awesome All the best lol.
    I love love English, I still have no idea what I want to do. I speak both English and French fluently so I'm thinking of studying languages properly. We'll see I guess. I wanna c what saudi has to offer I'm also very interested in Islamic studies and it would be a dream of mine to become a scholar of Islam so I really am stuck in a complex maze at the moment lol. Just going with the flow for now.

Well I already wear an abaya plus scarf here lol so no biggy. I know they're crazy. And women can't drive etc... Ohhhhh no talking to boys Lol joking I'm used to that as well. Staying at home a lot isnt much of a problem as well as I'm home educated so not exposed to the outside world too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem. I'm glad I helped! And yah, definitely get all the negativity off your mind. You'll be fine and Inshallah you like it here

Studying languages sounds like a great plan. If you learn to speak Arabic fluently too you'll be a great asset for a company (especially in the Middle East) as you'll be fluent in the three main languages used. Have you thought about becoming a translator? If your that interested in Islamic studies i recommend you apply to the university in Medina as it's great for that and you've got a shot of getting a scholarship which would be great.

Yah, the no driving thing is a real bummer but trust me females driving here would be a disaster because the men are such creeps and it'll jeopardize the safety of females. You can talk to boys if you want but you obviously can't go out with a guy on your own to like the mall/restaurant (well you actually could but you'd need to be extra cautious of the religious police a.k.a motawa - excuse my spelling). Going out in groups is fine, well in Jeddah it is, don't know about Riyadh though. Ah, that's good then at least you'll already be used to one aspect of living in Saudi.

Good Luck! Everything will be fine Inshallah

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's always dead brah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't stand that stupid ex-muslims thread.!! It is as if they're explaining themselves just to feel justified and accepted in society. So freaking stupid. They're literally glorifying their situations and just say unbelievable stuff like "islam is a threat".
    Wtf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayah)
    Can't stand that stupid ex-muslims thread.!! It is as if they're explaining themselves just to feel justified and accepted in society. So freaking stupid. They're literally glorifying their situations and just say unbelievable stuff like "islam is a threat".
    Wtf.
    Just ignore them, let them have their circle jerk thread.
    Didn't you know Islam bashing is the new hip cool thing bandwagon style. If they don't get their bashing now the wagon may pass them.
    In reality though I pity them, hope they find some peace in their lives other than hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusSeizure)
    It's always dead brah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol,
    did you manage to explain your mother tongue post the other way.
    Many theories were thrown around but nothing conclusive, only you know what it meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Just ignore them, let them have their circle jerk thread.
    Didn't you know Islam bashing is the new hip cool thing bandwagon style. If they don't get their bashing now the wagon may pass them.
    In reality though I pity them, hope they find some peace in their lives other than hate.
    I pity them too. Is their life that sad you need approval from strangers on tsr :s
    Trying my best not to leave a sarcastic comment on their stupid thread..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayah)
    x
    x
    Stop complaining already, sheesh.

ReputationRep:
    Something about vaseline, lips and a good day.
    Sounds dodgy.
    Anyone can translate this, can the ayeeyo do it
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    Correct me if im wrong, my Somali isn't as great as yours. Your teacher likes you and wants you but you said no so he threatened you. Your question is regarding advice if you should get a gun or not? :rofl:
    Looooooool legit crying.

I think she said, her teacher said put vaseline on your lips when your happy. She places it on her lips. He smacks his lips and tries to take advantage of her. Her parents said that you are now 'spoiled' and must marry the man and live in his house.
    I was just trolling nothing of it was true Nice attempt at interpreting my crap Somali though
    SophiaLDN you were pretty close

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.