Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey i want to do my EPQ on the causes/treatments/effects multiple sclerosis but im not actually sure how to turn this into a coherent title question? Any help would really be appreciated! Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanojyoxx)
    I think your grade is mostly decided upon by how well you fill in the booklet (the AQA one).

Also I don't think you should post this on the internet since you haven't been graded for it yet, someone could plagiarise you.
    It's okay the artefact is worthless without the sketch book.

booklet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    It's okay the artefact is worthless without the sketch book.

booklet?
    The AQA log book you have to fill in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanojyoxx)
    The AQA log book you have to fill in?
    What do you think makes the booklet high quality?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this will help inspire anyone but I personally love my title

"Is extraterrestrial colonization viable?" <3

Also does anybody think I should add a timeframe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    What do you think makes the booklet high quality?
    Writing long, detailed answers - not just bullet points. Answering the questions in depth.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've just about finished researching for my EPQ on evidence for an impact causing the end-Permian mass extinction and I'm currently trying to write a plan for the essay bit.

BUT....I don't really understand how to structure it :/ We have been advised at school to do: title/abstract/introduction/literature review/methodology/ results/conclusions/discussion/evaluation/references/appendices, but I don't really understand what some of the sections are and what to put in them i.e. literature review/methodology and also what is the difference between a conclusion and discussion?

Did anyone else structure theirs like that? Or if not how did you do it?

Sorry but my school really aren't giving us much guidance....

Thank you!

I'm doing AQA btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebc)
    Hi! I've just about finished researching for my EPQ on evidence for an impact causing the end-Permian mass extinction and I'm currently trying to write a plan for the essay bit.

BUT....I don't really understand how to structure it :/ We have been advised at school to do: title/abstract/introduction/literature review/methodology/ results/conclusions/discussion/evaluation/references/appendices, but I don't really understand what some of the sections are and what to put in them i.e. literature review/methodology and also what is the difference between a conclusion and discussion?

Did anyone else structure theirs like that? Or if not how did you do it?

Sorry but my school really aren't giving us much guidance....

Thank you!

I'm doing AQA btw.
    We do Abstract/Introduction/Literature Review/Discussion/Conclusion

The Literature Review and Discussion take up most of the essay, they're both 2000 words minimum I think

The teacher at my school says that you explain the background information in the Literature Review, bringing together all the literature you read.

The discussion is more technical, and is where you either go point/counterpoint/point/counterpoint etc or explain each side of the argument in turn, leading to the conclusion where you explain which side you agree with and summarise why.

That's my understanding of it at least

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys , my school has offered the oppurtunity to do an EPQ however due to staffing issues theres a limit on how many EPQ places available , and thus we need to write an application letter to the teacher in charge. Any ideas on how to format this application letter in terms of a structure ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellar Door)
    We do Abstract/Introduction/Literature Review/Discussion/Conclusion

The Literature Review and Discussion take up most of the essay, they're both 2000 words minimum I think

The teacher at my school says that you explain the background information in the Literature Review, bringing together all the literature you read.

The discussion is more technical, and is where you either go point/counterpoint/point/counterpoint etc or explain each side of the argument in turn, leading to the conclusion where you explain which side you agree with and summarise why.

That's my understanding of it at least
    Ah ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice_cilae)
    Hey!

Make sure you choose something that interests you otherwise EPQ will get very boring, very fast! Maybe think about topics in your classes that have interested you that you would like to know more about, though make sure you aren't just repeating parts of the topic you learnt in class as that's against the rules for EPQ.

Your teacher is really wrong and unprofessional to call anything you say 'rubbish', I'd just ignore them they sound like a douche, but the beauty of EPQ is that it's independent meaning that you choose what you study, you would be perfectly within the guidelines of the project to just ignore your teach and do either of those questions anyway.

The Steve Jobs question is really interesting but you have to be wary of a) the topic not being broad enough for the 5000 word essay and all the research you need to document for it and b) Steve Jobs has been in the media a lot since his death so he and his work might be a really common EPQ topic for this year and last year, that said though there's not necessarily anything wrong with that - perhaps reword it to how Apple has been successful, or the effect Apple have had on the IT industry.

I really like your second question, there's a lot you could write about too, this article might be an interesting place to start if you decide to go with that - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...drive-shortage - if you find it an interesting topic I'd say go for it

Thank you for replying and for the great advice! Thank you for the link too. I have had another think and have come up with the title:
    ' Is technology influencing businesses for the better' in which i could include about jobs being lost but on the other hand businesses making more money. What do you think was my other question better? Please be honest! Thank you so much again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannahb)
    Firstly, your teachers a waste of space for saying your original ideas were rubbish.. That's not very professional imo. Secondly, your EPQ should be based around what you wanna study at Uni.. So you should probably pick either ICT or business or geography which you're gonna do at Uni and base it around that rather than a more general "any of these'll do" approach.. Meh, I dunno. If you're gonna do ICT, are you interested in social networking sites? You could kind of relate that to geography I guess with like a "how helpful/how much of a hinderance is Facebook with relation to locality" or something.. Just a suggestion, I don't know. I'm applying for Psych so.. yeah.. not much help, sorry! Good luck though
    Thank you for replying!! Thats an interesting title, thank you. I had another think and thought of doing 'Is technology influencing businesses for the better?' and talk about on the one hand no because of job losses it is causing but on the other hand yes because businesses are able to make more money. Not sure!! Is this title ok?

ReputationRep:
    Hello - I'm doing mine on how Mary Shelley's Frankenstein reflects the philosophical/theological developments of the Romantic period. I was going to do it on literally 'Romantic literature' reflecting religion but it's been gradually whittled down, initially to 'the Shelleys' and then just to one novel. Plenty to talk about in it though!

ReputationRep:
    Submitted my evaluation on Friday, it's all over! woooooo If anyone reading this thread wants any help with a medical ethics EPQ, feel free to PM

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do a chemistry EPQ but it doesn't seem like an easy subject to find a topic for.
    I've been thinking either
    'What should be used as an alternative to fossils fuels?'
    or
    'Are drug trials thorough enough?'
    And was wondering if people could help with which would be best?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be having loadsss of references in my actual essay.
    Is that wrong?
    Coz I'm doing mine on anaemia and most of what I'm writing is purely research and I just gave the reference at the end?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys , im in Year 12 and will be doing an EPQ over the summer - my question is how much work is needed for it ? i know its a 5,000 word report but just how many hours a day will be needed to be put into it to successfully complete it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    Hi Guys , im in Year 12 and will be doing an EPQ over the summer - my question is how much work is needed for it ? i know its a 5,000 word report but just how many hours a day will be needed to be put into it to successfully complete it ?
    I've not yet finished mine but I am on track for an A.
    I spend about 3 hours a week. One hour working in mentor group with the other EPQ students, one hour after this hour. then on Sunday I spend an hour doing little extra bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    It's took me three months of working to do the research required for the essay, I'm in Year 12 too At about 2-3 and a half hours a week that is
    2.5 * 12 = 30 hours.

So honestly, it all depends how quickly you want it over with: 3 hours a day for ten days and your research might be close to completion or a half hour a day all summer. (just a rough estimate)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmorningworld)
    It's took me three months of working to do the research required for the essay, I'm in Year 12 too At about 2-3 and a half hours a week that is
    2.5 * 12 = 30 hours.

So honestly, it all depends how quickly you want it over with: 3 hours a day for ten days and your research might be close to completion or a half hour a day all summer. (just a rough estimate)
    yeah weve been advised to do it over the summer however im on a charity expedition for the first 3 weeks , which leaves me 5 weeks of summer left with a Personal Statement to write + reading Economics-related books to say in my PS so gonna be a struggle :P

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.