Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    We created nothing the majority of the time. Vividly remember Swansea 2 Arsenal 0 and thinking ' what the **** are these two aiming to do'. Defensively Arteta did a decent job and Ramsey improved hugely after Xmas but together there is no chemistry, no blend in styles, nothing.
    There are four people in front of them who should be creating the majority of the chances and I remember Ramsey especially getting some good chances

Plus if fabregas comes then the Ramsey-Arteta partnership will work even better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What exactly does Ramsey offer that wilshere doesn't ? When the other team have the ball jack is always hounding and getting a foot in and if we are organised properly like we have been lately then he will he know what he needs to do for the shape and defensive duties that Ramsey has been doing and then when we do get the ball he adds a new dimension to the team in a box to box role

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    There are four people in front of them who should be creating the majority of the chances and I remember Ramsey especially getting some good chances

Plus if fabregas comes then the Ramsey-Arteta partnership will work even better

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That partnership is decent, but definitely not a league winning partnership. Both are good players who are great squad options but if we are looking to win major trophies having Arteta and Ramsey as starters is not going to help us fulfill those ambitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    What exactly does Ramsey offer that wilshere doesn't ? When the other team have the ball jack is always hounding and getting a foot in and if we are organised properly like we have been lately then he will he know what he needs to do for the shape and defensive duties that Ramsey has been doing and then when we do get the ball he adds a new dimension to the team in a box to box role
    Yeah that's bang on the nail mate. Ramsey's chief attribute is his energy and harrying and against Everton a few weeks ago, when there was no quality whatsoever, he was in his element and even motm IIRC. Its no coincidence that once Jack got injured, Ramsey started getting noticed but we also got noticed for not being able to spring a decent attack together.
    Sideways ****ing passing, like Denilson all over again.

I like Ramsey and think he has a role in the squad, but ffs lets aim for better in the XI.

ReputationRep:
    ----------Shez----------
    Sagna--Kos--Mert--Gibbs
    -----Arteta/Ramsey-----
    ---Wilshere--Fabregas---
    Walcott----------Cazorla
    --------Higuain----------

He could have left any year from 2006-2011 to Real/Barca but stayed and eventually went to the only club he loved more than Arsenal, his hometown club with some of his best mates and his family next door. He hardly snaked us.

Wilshere DM
    Walcott Fabregas Cazorla
    ST
    na he pretty much forced the move through tbh, but again the past is the past, its understandable, i'm more angry with Barcelonas conduct, not his.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    na he pretty much forced the move through tbh, but again the past is the past, its understandable, i'm more angry with Barcelonas conduct, not his.
    So what you reckon Arsenal would just role over and say ''fair enough, have him''. Fabregas got caught in the middle of it all and was forced into a corner of having to demand a transfer because Barca are such ***** negotiating.

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey for me is a little like Parlour, lacking in cutting edge quality but will always put in a shift. He's a great squad member to have but if we have any title ambitions he cannot be a starter. He's managed to carve out a little niche for himself as somebody who will close down and rush the opposition, I'm glad that he's finally found a place in the squad at least.

Tbh ramsey has been more important than wilshere this season, or the second half at least, which is where we got the business done imo. People need to get off his back. Underhand compliments like him being motm in matches of low quality are very ignorant. With the technically gifted players we've had season in season out, is it not these same games we would be losing or squandering leads on seasons ago? ramsey, and Wilshere are the future of arsenal, its as simple as that really, if Wenger didn't have faith in him, he wouldn't have offered him a new contract. When wilshere played most recently for us, he's been quite poor, losing possession etc, with ramsey picking up the slack and quickly getting back possession.

I may be deluded, but i think he's coming into his own, his role has been redefined in recent years from a play maker to a more box to box player, but i think it suits him, he just needs to work on his finishing abit more because he always gets into great positions. Passing as i've said before is one of his strong points, those of you criticising his "sideways passes" obviously have no understanding of build-up play/ we do not know his instructions from the manager, he could have been told to play safe passes and maintain possession.

He's by no means perfect, very far off it, and he needs to cut those stupid flicks out of his game, but i'm more than happy with him tbh. He's only 22 and will get better, and seems to be a player who loves arsenal through and through,covering every blade of the grass when he can. Maybe i'm abit biased because i admire people like him that persevere and overcome hardship despite all odds, but I don't think he's this player lacking in quality that a lot of people make him out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh ramsey has been more important than wilshere this season, or the second half at least, which is where we got the business done imo. People need to get off his back. Underhand compliments like him being motm in matches of low quality are very ignorant. With the technically gifted players we've had season in season out, is it not these same games we would be losing or squandering leads on seasons ago? ramsey, and Wilshere are the future of arsenal, its as simple as that really, if Wenger didn't have faith in him, he wouldn't have offered him a new contract. When wilshere played most recently for us, he's been quite poor, losing possession etc, with ramsey picking up the slack and quickly getting back possession.
    So your argument is that 1) Its wrong to say Ramsey suits high intensity, low quality games and 2)Ramsey needs to be praised for being there when technically gifted players arent?

Why is it such a mugging off to say Ramsey is a battler who can make the difference in tight games like Everton but he lacks attacking flair? Am I mugging off Tony Adams for saying he wasnt much of a dribbler?

Horses for courses mate.

Also, 'passing is one of his strengths'? No it is not. His final ball is very poor and makes a go of passing it Denilson style. This illustrates the problem though, you want Ramsey to be something he's not when he's very effective as another type of player.

ReputationRep:
    One can dream... Name:  1370010744390.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  24.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    So your argument is that 1) Its wrong to say Ramsey suits high intensity, low quality games and 2)Ramsey needs to be praised for being there when technically gifted players arent?

Why is it such a mugging off to say Ramsey is a battler who can make the difference in tight games like Everton but he lacks attacking flair? Am I mugging off Tony Adams for saying he wasnt much of a dribbler?

Horses for courses mate.

Also, 'passing is one of his strengths'? No it is not. His final ball is very poor and makes a go of passing it Denilson style. This illustrates the problem though, you want Ramsey to be something he's not when he's very effective as another type of player.
    Interested as to why you think that Ramsey's passing isn't one of his strengths, I see it as as one.

Claiming that someone's final ball is poor isn't quite the same as their overall passing being poor - his job, like Arteta's, was to hold the ball. Arteta doesn't really do anything spectacular but he went about his passing in order to keep possession. Ramsey was helping him with this task - he played it better safe than sorry which was probably what Wenger wanted him to do in order to grind out results.

There hasn't been much opportunity for Ramsey to deliver a final ball as a result, but he had his moments when he played as AM last season. Needless to say, I'm not claiming he's the best at passing/the final ball in our team but I definitely see it as a strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    One can dream... Name:  1370010744390.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  24.3 KB
    That's been photoshopped onto cazorla right? I can tell by the gelled hair!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Horses for courses mate.

I really can't take you seriously. He is a good passer of the ball, has a decent range , and makes some decent passes even when under pressure. Not every pass has to be a hollywood killer final ball, you do know that right? i'm by no means comparing them, but xavi doesn't play many killer passes, he dictates the tempo and maintains possession, iniesta makes more killer passes. Does that now mean Xavi isn't that good a passer? NO

The more you understand football from the tactical side, I think the more you'll realise how silly a lot of the stuff you say/ have said is very silly. If the deepest midfielders i.e Arteta and Ramsey are constantly looking to play killer balls and not dictate the tempo/ maintain possession, how are we going to build up attacks? They'll just be making low percentage passes.

ReputationRep:
    GeoffArsenal on twitter (normally pretty reliable) said that the Fabregas deal is not all false and there is a possibility of it happening. Also said there's a £30m star man that Arsenal are seriously considering, wonder who...

ReputationRep:
    I really can't take you seriously. He is a good passer of the ball, has a decent range , and makes some decent passes even when under pressure. Not every pass has to be a hollywood killer final ball, you do know that right? i'm by no means comparing them, but xavi doesn't play many killer passes, he dictates the tempo and maintains possession, iniesta makes more killer passes. Does that now mean Xavi isn't that good a passer? NO

The more you understand football from the tactical side, I think the more you'll realise how silly a lot of the stuff you say/ have said is very silly. If the deepest midfielders i.e Arteta and Ramsey are constantly looking to play killer balls and not dictate the tempo/ maintain possession, how are we going to build up attacks? They'll just be making low percentage passes.
    I don't think he's a very good passer in the short range it's never crisp or smooth and rarely bang on the money like when you see wilshere or santi they will play it so the player doesn't have to readjust for it or break their stride Rambo not so much and then anything other than short passing he is a bit too erratic to call it a strength

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why people are hating on Ramsey

He's done well at the end of the season but people are still making excuses for why he's done well rather than just saying that he's improved and can be a great player for us

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    City, United, PSG all interested in Cesc but no bid yet. Apparently Barca still owe us £10m from the transfer so it's conceivable we could get him for £25m. If he does return I wonder what that means for the dynamic of the team. Highly doubt Wenger will persist with Arteta but you never know. It could be argued there isn't a need for a 'physical DM'. Look at United, Chelsea, Dortmund etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't trust GeoffArsenal at all. I reckon he's just a sad little person who makes himself feel a bit important by getting everyone on twitter excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boner in joggers)
    I don't trust GeoffArsenal at all. I reckon he's just a sad little person who makes himself feel a bit important by getting everyone on twitter excited.
    To be fair, he did reveal the Cazorla and Monreal transfers. And it's not like he's the only guy talking about Cesc, other reliable Arsenal tweeters have caught on to it aswell. This is all speculation at the minute, I'll wait for the Guardian/BBC to pick up on it then it can be as a real possibility.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.