Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll just watch Gillette Soccer Sat on Saturday to see it all as it comes in. With just the Championship kicking off at 12:15 (Plus Leic/New at 12:45?) They should show all the goals as they happen. I'd love to see Brentford in and Derby out though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    I think I'll just watch Gillette Soccer Sat on Saturday to see it all as it comes in. With just the Championship kicking off at 12:15 (Plus Leic/New at 12:45?) They should show all the goals as they happen. I'd love to see Brentford in and Derby out though.
    Agreed, would be great for all the Brentford board as they sack the man that got them to the Play-off's after promotion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Callum Wilson already being linked with a £12m move to Spurs. Newcastle are also interested, according to reports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Callum Wilson already being linked with a £12m move to Spurs. Newcastle are also interested, according to reports.
    Hearing news like this just rubs salt in the wound after selling him for £3 million

:facepalm:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iodo345)
    Hearing news like this just rubs salt in the wound after selling him for £3 million

The PL has been littered with too many players who've failed to make that leap. He needs to stay at Goldsands for as long as possible, otherwise he'll become a Beckford or Frazier Campbell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    The PL has been littered with too many players who've failed to make that leap. He needs to stay at Goldsands for as long as possible, otherwise he'll become a Beckford or Frazier Campbell.
    I feel the same. He's better getting experience in the premier league then moving to bigger clubs as he has the potential to one day play for a club like Tottenham etc but not quite yet.

ReputationRep:
    The Championship Play-off race is really exciting. I can't wait to see how it will all pan out this weekend. I'll go for Brentford and Ipswich making it, with Brentford winning them and gaining promotion.

The collapse of Derby in the second half of this season has been unbelievable. They were easily top not that long ago but are now hanging on in 6th place. Their defense has been their downfall. Shipping 4 goals against Huddesfield and 3 against Millwall in recent weeks is unforgivable. Their drop in form seems to coincide with Jordan Ibe being recalled back to Liverpool. I've also heard that Steve McClaren is off to Newcastle next season, which may have affected the players.

So yeah, I see Derby losing and Brentford winning, putting them into the playoff places. What an incredible achievement that would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iodo345)

That is the price we pay for being in a dog **** division.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dog Soup)
    The Championship Play-off race is really exciting. I can't wait to see how it will all pan out this weekend. I'll go for Brentford and Ipswich making it, with Brentford winning them and gaining promotion.

The collapse of Derby in the second half of this season has been unbelievable. They were easily top not that long ago but are now hanging on in 6th place. Their defense has been their downfall. Shipping 4 goals against Huddesfield and 3 against Millwall in recent weeks is unforgivable. Their drop in form seems to coincide with Jordan Ibe being recalled back to Liverpool. I've also heard that Steve McClaren is off to Newcastle next season, which may have affected the players.

So yeah, I see Derby losing and Brentford winning, putting them into the playoff places. What an incredible achievement that would be.
    Disaster of a move for him so long as Ashley is in charge, hell end up being the fall guy for their lack of ambition and ruin the attempt to restore his career following the England and forest flops.

(Original post by LordPhylogeny)
    Agreed, would be great for all the Brentford board as they sack the man that got them to the Play-off's after promotion.
    yeah it's not as simple as that. Matthew Benham wanted Mark Warburton to stay more than anything but they couldn't come to an agreement about how to run the club together along with a Director of Football after Frank McParland did some stupid ****. Frank was sacked, then Mark and Matthew had a conversation about the future. Matthew Benham is far more important to Brentford FC than Mark Warburton, who is a fantastic manager, but he couldn't have achieved any of it without Matthew Benham and his connections or money.

Benham wants a Director of Football to work alongside a first team coach under a more European model using a mathematical modelling system. He's also the owner at FC Midtjylland who are now 12 points clear in the Danish Superliga.

Here's an excellent article you can read: http://www.theguardian.com/football/...elling-denmark
    And the club statement: http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/ar...t-2277027.aspx

It's easy to look at the situation as an outsider with total ignorance of what's going on and see "the owner is sacking their successful manager because he's an idiot" or whatever, but the reality is that Matthew Benham has the most realistic idea of what's going on at Brentford at the moment along with a solid plan for the future. We've him to thank for not dropping out of League Two, for hiring two excellent managers in recent years and for getting us into the Championship with the ability to sign the most exciting squad of players we've ever had.

I love Warburton as much as any Brentford fan but I have faith in our manager and the board - something I never thought I'd be able to say ten years ago and something most fans can't say about their club. Apparently we've got a few targets lined up for next season and one of those is Paco Jemez. Newcastle seem to be interested in him too but hopefully they'll go for Steve McLaren instead.

As for whether we can make the play offs this season, I don't think Ipswich or Derby will bottle it. I hope they do because we're going to beat Wigan, but 7th in the Championship is already our best league finish in living memory so I'm over the moon with this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Disaster of a move for him so long as Ashley is in charge, hell end up being the fall guy for their lack of ambition and ruin the attempt to restore his career following the England and forest flops.
    Yes they should rack up debts to appease deluded Geordies instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    yeah it's not as simple as that. Matthew Benham wanted Mark Warburton to stay more than anything but they couldn't come to an agreement about how to run the club together along with a Director of Football after Frank McParland did some stupid ****. Frank was sacked, then Mark and Matthew had a conversation about the future. Matthew Benham is far more important to Brentford FC than Mark Warburton, who is a fantastic manager, but he couldn't have achieved any of it without Matthew Benham and his connections or money.

Benham wants a Director of Football to work alongside a first team coach under a more European model using a mathematical modelling system. He's also the owner at FC Midtjylland who are now 12 points clear in the Danish Superliga.

Here's an excellent article you can read: http://www.theguardian.com/football/...elling-denmark

It's easy to look at the situation as an outsider with total ignorance of what's going on and see "the owner is sacking their successful manager because he's an idiot" or whatever, but the reality is that Matthew Benham has the most realistic idea of what's going on at Brentford at the moment along with a solid plan for the future. We've him to thank for not dropping out of League Two, for hiring two excellent managers in recent years and for getting us into the Championship with the ability to sign the most exciting squad of players we've ever had.

I love Warburton as much as any Brentford fan but I have faith in our manager and the board - something I never thought I'd be able to say ten years ago and something most fans can't say about their club. Apparently we've got a few targets lined up for next season and one of those is Paco Jemez. Newcastle seem to be interested in him too but hopefully they'll go for Steve McLaren instead.

As for whether we can make the play offs this season, I don't think Ipswich or Derby will bottle it. I hope they do because we're going to beat Wigan, but 7th in the Championship is already our best league finish in living memory so I'm over the moon with this season.
    Besides Warburton will be leading our push for League 2 survival next season, he doesn't want to be at a Championship club that is sensibly run.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)

Not if we win 10-0 Also noticed that your goal difference is closer to Ipswich than I thought, could potentially see you overturning that, although obviously I hope Wigan & Reading return to their 2006 form for one day.

(Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Not if we win 10-0 Also noticed that your goal difference is closer to Ipswich than I thought, could potentially see you overturning that, although obviously I hope Wigan & Reading return to their 2006 form for one day.
    Yep, all it needs is a 1-0 loss for them and a 2-0 win for us. I'd also happily take 8th mind!

ReputationRep:
    Think you might make it based on that, we threw it away in the reverse fixture when we were 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go before we decided to make Fuller a world beater. I would also take 8th, but it's tantalising.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Yes they should rack up debts to appease deluded Geordies instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well no, but they've been making a profit for a few years now and haven't remotely looked like putting any of it back into the club: they've become content to sit in 15th every season and take home the tv money - what is the point in being there unless you're going to try and win competitions and advance to the next level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Well no, but they've been making a profit for a few years now and haven't remotely looked like putting any of it back into the club: they've become content to sit in 15th every season and take home the tv money - what is the point in being there unless you're going to try and win competitions and advance to the next level?
    Until Pardew left they were sitting pretty, but this wasn't the PL thread last time I checked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We do actually need a PL thread though. There isn't one over than the relegation & club threads.

Anyway, nice story about a player who had a horrific car crash leaving him paralyzed & now owns the club he used to play for. http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32516000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Think you might make it based on that, we threw it away in the reverse fixture when we were 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go before we decided to make Fuller a world beater. I would also take 8th, but it's tantalising.
    I would've taken 8th at the start of the season as well, but we've still got a chance and need to win.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    We do actually need a PL thread though. There isn't one over than the relegation & club threads.
    Most clubs have threads, it's just they don't get used and are pages and pages back unfortunately.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.