Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    fixed.

it isn't over until it's mathematically done.
    at anfield even if they park the bus, they aren't chelsea.
    if it were make or break, we'd try our best at least.

ludogorets look the 2nd best team in the group yet they have 0 points...
    That's the thing though. In CL group stages you don't have to be the best team but you have to be effective in getting points on the board. Well, you can look on the Brightside though since if you get knocked out the group stages you can concentrate solely on the league

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Still think you'll make it. Anfield is intimidating especially for foreign teams, I think Basel will lose at the other end, same with Ludo even away. Not sure about your chances with Real but no worse than Basel. Not to mention I can see Ludo getting something against Basel in one of their games. Plus you have better GD, and I think you'll fair better against Madrid than Basel will, so you'll either do it on points or GD.
    It's head to head rather than GD afaik, so it may come down to them needing to win by 2 against Basel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    from madrid?
    yes.

if basel beat liverpool and ludogorets twice but lose to liverpool and madrid twice, they end up on 9 points
    if we beat basel and ludogorets twice but lose to madrid twice, we end up on 9 points.
    then it's just down to H2H or whatever.

a lot of big ifs though - ludogorets aren't pushovers and it will be tough for liverpool and basel to beat them away.
    If Basel beat Liverpool and Ludo twice, it's 12 points not 9 :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    If Basel beat Ludogorets in both legs they will beat this poor Liverpool with ease at Anfield. All this 'atmosphere' talk is nonsense.
    Basel could have easily scored 2-3 more had they been more clinical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juan Mata)
    Just saying that's like the definition of 'not in your hands' if you're relying on 2 games elsewhere going your way
    haha yeah fair point - just looking at the teams so far i fully expect madrid to get 18 points from this group given how they demolished basel and they've already played ludogorets away.

(Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    That's the thing though. In CL group stages you don't have to be the best team but you have to be effective in getting points on the board. Well, you can look on the Brightside though since if you get knocked out the group stages you can concentrate solely on the league
    only if we finish last though.
    if there's a weird upset and we're out of qualification with a game to go, i hope we just play a team of youngsters and come 4th.
    technically i think that's illegal but extra europa league matches would ruin us
    no way we'd win it so it'd just add extra games.
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    If Basel beat Liverpool and Ludo twice, it's 12 points not 9 :lolwut:
    didn't punctuate right - i meant beating only the latter team twice, not both :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    If Basel beat Ludogorets in both legs they will beat this poor Liverpool with ease at Anfield. All this 'atmosphere' talk is nonsense.
    Basel could have easily scored 2-3 more had they been more clinical.
    meh, both teams had some decent chances; sturridge would've bagged a few tonight.
    but i agree that their quality let them down - any top half PL side would've scored more than 1 against us tonight.

if we have sturridge back and if we were at anfield, i would disagree with you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    haha yeah fair point - just looking at the teams so far i fully expect madrid to get 18 points from this group given how they demolished basel and they've already played ludogorets away.

only if we finish last though.
    if there's a weird upset and we're out of qualification with a game to go, i hope we just play a team of youngsters and come 4th.
    technically i think that's illegal but extra europa league matches would ruin us
    no way we'd win it so it'd just add extra games.

didn't punctuate right - i meant beating only the latter team twice, not both :P
    I hope you lot finish 3rd

Oh right my bad then. I had to check twice and was baffed when you said Basel would get 9 points from 4 wins xD. Well one thing is for sure, RM will top the group and the rest will be interesting to see how it pans out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juan Mata)
    It's head to head rather than GD afaik, so it may come down to them needing to win by 2 against Basel
    Yeah it H2H points wise first, but I think they'll beat Basel. If they win that 1-0, then it goes to general GD which I think they'll win on. Issue comes if Basel score then they have an away goal so they'd need 3-1 at least.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Feel for Markovic tbh, he showed some good moments today but he is still finding his feet and was just chucked straight into the deep end so far this season (injuries to Allen and Can made it necessary for him to get more starts and game time than expected) and is getting alot of abuse. We should have not paid £20 million for him though....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it H2H points wise first, but I think they'll beat Basel. If they win that 1-0, then it goes to general GD which I think they'll win on. Issue comes if Basel score then they have an away goal so they'd need 3-1 at least.
    H2H is quite likely to determine 2nd place in the group.
    Anything from real, however unrealistic would do it for us
    Even a 0-0 draw at Anfield (lol)

Maybe we'll up our game against a top team?
    Highly unlikely but who knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Anything from real, however unrealistic would do it for us
    Even a 0-0 draw at Anfield (lol)

We need our full strength team for Madrid otherwise we have no chance for a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    When United fans suggest the same thing you guys rofl

ReputationRep:
    We really needed to not lose this game.

Tbh we needed Sturridge to be fit for the first couple of months but that didn't even happen.

One more game then back to the international break. I think Sturridge will miss that game (at Rodgers' choice) so he can avoid going on England duty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Basel were terrible too, and they haven't played Ludo at all yet. I don't think its a given they will get 6 points there. Both you and Real have struggled, and Basel have them next away.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why people are thinking Real are this unstoppable juggernaut. Fully expect them to take 6 points off us but theyre soft in the middle. Pepe and Ramos are fantastic front foot defenders, a bit suspect backpedalling. Same story with their midfield.

We are absolutely dire atm tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Not sure why people are thinking Real are this unstoppable juggernaut. Fully expect them to take 6 points off us but theyre soft in the middle. Pepe and Ramos are fantastic front foot defenders, a bit suspect backpedalling. Same story with their midfield.

We are absolutely dire atm tho.
    It's gotten to the stage where teams can play their worst football and still beat us, sad times...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is so similar to 09/10 season it's eerie.

ReputationRep:
    3 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses this season (counting the win over Boro as a draw since it went to penalties).

Very poor form frankly.. we could very easily finish outside the top 4 and end up in Europa League football this season..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    We need our full strength team for Madrid otherwise we have no chance for a point.
    the chance of anything at all is slim, but i'll still hope.
    given how woeful we have been so far, i'll still hope.
    i still hope we can get a win at the weekend.

(Original post by h3isenberg)
    When United fans suggest the same thing you guys rofl
    we're like you but we don't have the attack to make up for it.
    if we concede we're screwed.
    if you concede, you have hope you'll bag a few with your front line anyway...
    Basel were terrible too, and they haven't played Ludo at all yet. I don't think its a given they will get 6 points there. Both you and Real have struggled, and Basel have them next away.
    ludo could surprise us all you know.
    the issue is that they have nothing to show for their commendable performances :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.