Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    It's not the idea that if you signed a striker rather than Ozil. It's the idea that if you signed Suarez rather than Ozil.
    This! Fair play to Ozil he's done okay but he wasnt what we needed and if not suarez we could have had at least 2 very good defensive players which we've needed for years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
    so the FA cup is enough for you year in year out? that's very ambitious on your part
    I know, I pride myself on my low standards of one national cup per year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Nah, Uniteds long ball tactics suit Merta perfectly tbh, would start him over Gabriel if the latter was fit simply because of that.

3-1 us if I'm feeling confident, let them have 70% possession then rip them a new one
    Unlikely we play like we did at City. Think we're gonna have the 70% possession and get destroyed on the counter even if we are away, United are absolutely dreadful though and they're due a beating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I know, I pride myself on my low standards of one national cup per year.
    lol each to their own I guess but the arsenal I know and remember actually won the MAIN national trophy and challenged for it year in year out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Because you made a post about football.
    I found that funny.

#banter

ReputationRep:
    We were dominating the league last season for the most part. If we needed a striker, it would have to have been in the Jan transfer window. Who could we have signed? Berbatov? de Jong? No world class striker would leave their team in the middle of the season unless they were literally being shoved out by the club. It's all well and good saying 'we *might* have won if we signed a striker', but that's like me saying 'I *might* have got laid if I pulled a hot girl at my chess tournament'. Conjecture doesn't help anything. So what did Wenger do? The next best thing - he planned for the future. He had steadied out the club, hadn't sold anyone important, so he went in for a marquee signing. I firmly believe we might not have got Alexis if we didn't already have Ozil, because for the darling child of Madrid to come to Arsenal, it sent out a message that we meant business, and it laid foundations for the future.
    Who said we couldn't have signed in the summer? Our cowardly manager did not put the money up he had no intention of buying one. You are a typical Wenger fanboy people like you won't stop until Arsenal ends up like Liverpool a disgrace with 25 years without a League title.
    This as well. I think Ozil is just so good at being the man in the shadows pulling the strings, that people just genuinely don't notice him on the pitch, so they claim he is rubbish.
    If you're referring to me I never said Ozil is rubbish in fact I said he's a great playmaker.

ReputationRep:
    lol each to their own I guess but the arsenal I know and remember actually won the MAIN national trophy and challenged for it year in year out
    Really? 'The Arsenal you know'? When did you start supporting them, around 2001? The Invincibles is NOT 'the Arsenal you know', they were a freak occurrence that even Mourinho wouldn't think he could emulate with enough regularity to claim it is the norm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Who said we couldn't have signed in the summer? Our cowardly manager did not put the money up he had no intention of buying one. You are a typical Wenger fanboy people like you won't stop until Arsenal ends up like Liverpool a disgrace with 25 years without a League title.

If you're referring to me I never said Ozil is rubbish in fact I said he's a great playmaker.
    I wasn't referring to you, but if you would prefer to think that then ok :yy:

You know when I stop supporting Wenger? When we show NO signs of progressing, and when we are dangerously close to regressing. Arsenal have an amazing squad now that is capable of challenging, and that is why I think we need to overhaul our training regimes and fitness staff, not our manager. Buying a worldie of a striker in our current situation is like the captain of the Titanic trying to plug the hole in the hull by shoving his **** in it. The striker would get injured. Alternatively, what if we kept Wenger, kept our squad, and had the same number of injuries as, say, Chelsea? Imagine keeping players like Ozil, Walcott, Debuchy, Giroud, Ramsey, Wilshere etc for the entire season.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

You know when I stop supporting Wenger? When we show NO signs of progressing, and when we are dangerously close to regressing. Arsenal have an amazing squad now that is capable of challenging, and that is why I think we need to overhaul our training regimes and fitness staff, not our manager. Buying a worldie of a striker in our current situation is like the captain of the Titanic trying to plug the hole in the hull by shoving his **** in it. The striker would get injured. Alternatively, what if we kept Wenger, kept our squad, and had the same number of injuries as, say, Chelsea? Imagine keeping players like Ozil, Walcott, Debuchy, Giroud, Ramsey, Wilshere etc for the entire season.
    Shouldn't you have given up about 4 years ago then?

Arsenal's ceiling is 3rd/4th in the league, last 16 of CL and the odd cup run. Aka where they've been at for the past 10 years.

ReputationRep:

Progress? Is that what you call progress? :facepalm:

19 February 2013 Round of 16
    Arsenal 1-3 Bayern

15 February 2012 Round of 16
    Milan 4-0 Arsenal

6 April 2010 Quarter Finals
    Barcelona 4-1 Arsenal

If you look at this and think that's progress you must be either brainwashed or just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    End of the day, Wenger has done so much for Arsenal that another 2 years of *just* finishing 3rd/4th and reaching the k/o stage of the CL with the outside chance of the Cup again is no big deal at all. The club is not going backwards, anyone who takes a look at our huge revenue growth over the last 3 years will tell you we are growing all the time and for the first time in a decade, we are now in a position to challenge the likes of Chelsea financially in the transfer market. Wenger could have pissed off in 2006 but he stuck around so I think it would be very un-Arsenal to give him the heave-ho now.

Not sure why some Arsenal fans think the era 1997-2006 is typical for Arsenal or will be replicated. That was a period when we had a genuinely world class manager and in an era before the Oil-clubs. Unfortunately, we're now in a situation when a title every decade with a sprinkling of cups would be par the course.

ReputationRep:
    Really? 'The Arsenal you know'? When did you start supporting them, around 2001? The Invincibles is NOT 'the Arsenal you know', they were a freak occurrence that even Mourinho wouldn't think he could emulate with enough regularity to claim it is the norm.

Lol settle down son. I've supported arsenal all my life but we should have built on from the invincible era or at the very least maintained a top 2 status. A club of our stature shouldn't be fighting for 4th imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Shouldn't you have given up about 4 years ago then?

Arsenal's ceiling is 3rd/4th in the league, last 16 of CL and the odd cup run. Aka where they've been at for the past 10 years.

And now that Fergie has left you, Utd are now showing their true level :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Lol settle down son. I've supported arsenal all my life but we should have built on from the invincible era or at the very least maintained a top 2 status. A club of our stature shouldn't be fighting for 4th imo
    Soon it could be the case that whoever was leading the PL before the last game of the season, falls to fifth because they lost and their four rivals won

ReputationRep:
    I am happy with a team that lifted the FA Cup last year, and can do it again this year, you miserable cabbage.
    I wonder who's dupe account it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Unlikely we play like we did at City. Think we're gonna have the 70% possession and get destroyed on the counter even if we are away, United are absolutely dreadful though and they're due a beating.
    If Vengs gets his tactics right he'd just sit back and let merta mop up then smash them on some tasty counter. Also high pressure would kill their defense just like it did Caulker yesterday.

If Vengs plays the smart game we'll see lvg's resignation on Tuesday morning...

ReputationRep:
    I wonder who's dupe account it is
    I express an opinion that isn't part of the TSR pessimistic hive mind = this must be a dupe account.

ReputationRep:
    If Vengs plays the smart game we'll see lvg's resignation on Tuesday morning...

Precisely but how likely is he to change and adapt though?

ReputationRep:
    I express an opinion that isn't part of the TSR pessimistic hive mind = this must be a dupe account.
    Huh, no I mean that new /-()£%&-- whatever guy.
    Account created today and his first act is to slate Arsenal and start a confrontation...

ReputationRep:
    Precisely but how likely is he to change and adapt though?
    Well I assume he'll just do what he did against city but to a lesser degree
    People act as though he's some idiot, he's won big games before and I'm sure he'll do it again

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.